PT Solutions Sports
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 55s
Overall Rank = 39/500
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/32
Pre-race routine:

I was very laid back on this race. I did not give it much though before race day. I was looking forward to racing, but not hyped. Maybe I should take on this mentality more!

Got up at 4:30 and had a nice sized breakfast. Drove 30 mins. or so and drank a 28 oz. bottle of water. I used my new TYR bag which was really great. I ran into Rocketman and talked about "challenges of age". He always gives me great things to think about. I met up with McQ on my way to transition. Always good to spend time with a bud at races. I setup transition. I laughed at how small my "foot print" is compared to the guys around me. McQ and I chatted for a good while and passed the time.
Event warmup:

I swam about 300 yards which was out to the second buoy. Felt really good. This is always a good sign for me. I felt comfortable and stroke was strong.
Swim
  • 08m 38s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got a little swim swagger back. First in AG by a nice margin. Running start and I did the high knee run and got deep. I got an excellent draft to the first buoy then left the guy. I hit the second buoy which was a sharp right. I did my fancy free/back/free turn and kept moving. I pushed to the final buoy to turn home. I started running into the first wave after the last turn in a big way. I ran over a guy that turned right in front of me.
What would you do differently?:

I faded a little in the home stretch. Just need some more endurance. Otherwise, it was a great swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

I smoked this transition, I had the speed suit down to my waist before I hit the foot wash pool. Ran hard to the bike. stripped off the speed suit, helmet on, ran to the line with shoes on pedals, jump on and go.

Second fastest in AG and respectable overall

nothing...
Bike
  • 55m 4s
  • 19.2 miles
  • 20.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was longer than 18 miles...19.2 to be exact. This was a very fast course. I felt great for most of the ride. Few uphills sections were slow as I did not want to burn all the matches on the bike. McQ came roaring by me early and I tried to hold sight of him for a time then let it go. At about mile 14 or so, i saw him again as the course doubled back. He was flying.

I thought it was a good ride. I will take it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

This was the highlight of the race. I practiced getting the feet out of the shoes at speed. As we turned on to the road leading to the park, I unstrapped the Velcro. When I hit the guard shack, I took my feet out of the shoes. I was still at speed down the hill and to the right. The race people were yelling at me to slow down, but the rules said no passing, not slow down. LOL. As I went to the line, a volunteer yelled "you must dismount before the line." I jumped off as I hit the line and kept running. The women yelled "and that is how it is done...that was great...very Nice job." I loved it.

This as the fastest in the AG and among the fastest of the day.

nothing.
Run
  • 23m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran out of transition and felt good. I was careful with my pace as I wanted to run hard the whole way. The pace on my garmin took a little while to show run pace. I just kept plugging away and talking to myself about form.

There was a nasty little uphill section to wards the end. KraigM was volunteering on the hill. I had a funny exchange with him. on the final 3/4 of a mile I decided to push for the guy that was in front of me. I slowly ran him down, but got caught by a pack of guys at the same time. I was hurting at this point and the finishing shoot was coming up. McQ was at the finish line yelling to me to push. He made a funny comment about my "hurt locker" face.

with my pre-race calf issue, I will take this run. I was fine.
Post race
Warm down:

McQ and i got something to eat, got our t-shirt and cleaned up transition. We walked back to the cars. I wish I could find a way to train more with McQ.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a good race, so I can't really say anything negative.

Event comments:

Great new race. They did an excellent job. This will be a popular race next year.

Last updated: 2011-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:38 | 547 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/32
Overall: 0/500
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:41
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:04 | 19.2 miles | 20.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/32
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:54 | 03.11 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/32
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-05 10:25 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: PT Solutions Allatoona Triathlon

2011-06-06 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3534054

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: PT Solutions Allatoona Triathlon
I'm glad you kicked out there. 

Your training has been awesome and you deserved/needed a good day.
2011-06-06 7:15 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
nice job!
2011-06-06 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Good job! Nice to see you on the course!
2011-06-06 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3534474

User image

Master
Awesome job, Captin!  Very impressive to see it all come together for you! : )
2011-06-11 12:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA

What a difference having a a laid back mindset and entering the race relaxed and in a good place.  Sweet results!!!!

Holy smokes was that a fast course, just wait til the K-factor, I won't be smokin by you any longer.

Thanks for hangin out, that was a good time.

2011-06-12 12:09 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Nice RR!

Good detail and could tell you were really pumped up! You did a great job of preparing for this race and it was evident leading up to it. Kind of like going into a final, knowing you studied hard for it.

Very nice indeed!

BTW, don't train more with McQ. He'll just slow you down.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » PT Solutions Allatoona Triathlon Rss Feed