HFP Racing
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 25m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 12/19
Pre-race routine:

Ate pb and jelly mini bagel, banana, gather my bag and bike, met the guys and rode to transition to get racked, marked and pick up the chip.

I slept like crap...we'd driven the hard parts of the three courses last night and I was dreaming(having nightmares) of Thompson Hill...not good.
Event warmup:

basically just had time to get my face and feet wet. Brrrr!
Swim
  • 23m 57s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

So this was a good swim for me! :) A new PR at this distance! I was having operational difficulty with the *&*#@$%^&^$ garmin (grrrr) so I had no clue what my time was during the race, but it felt like a good swim, and it was!
What would you do differently?:

Not much...sighted well, only got knocked about a bit, did well at the buoys and felt good when I got out of the drink!
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Meh...I seem to remember screwing something up...but I can't recall what exactly. :)

Practice...I only did 2 run throughs and I need to keep working on having a system, and NOT THINKING!
Bike
  • 1h 53m 41s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 13.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I was freaked out about Thompson Hill, rightly so...it was flipping awful! BUT...I did it! Woot! A guy was doing switchbacks up that climb and I used that technique when there was space to the rest of the weekend. I was a total baby and scrubbed speed on all the windy descents, but I'm totally ok with that. I saw a dude that crashed 5 miles into the race, and I was not gonna be another casualty! About 45 minutes into the ride I flatted. I'm so grateful it wasn't on the hill or the crazy hairpin descent just afterwards!!! I cursed myself saying I'd wanted to practice tire changes and didn't get to it. Doh! It took for ever to fix cause I'm such a dork. Lots of folks checked to see if I needed anything, and Ranger stopped when he came upon me (I did tell him to head out, but he wouldn't). I finally got it fixed and finished up the ride.

Practice changing flats prerace...especially on the zipps, air up the tires properly before the race (forgot!) not waste a co2 cartridge cause I'm clumsy!

As far as the bike goes, if I were "racing" I'd have pushed harder on the flats and descents, but I was "completing". :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

not horrible, not fast. My usual

Practice of course!
Run
  • 1h 04m 5s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Man, that was HARD! I had to walk up steep stuff. My legs were tired from the ride (even with the 20 minute break fixing the flat!) and I'm no hill runner. Tried to remember to stay within my abilities...goal was to finish vertical with no injuries and lots of expereience from the weekend. The course description said you'd either love or hate the run trail by the end of the weekend. I knew there would be NO LOVE.

Not much....I haven't run hills or trails this year really, and after the challenging bike, I did what my coach asked...stayed with in my abilities.
Post race
Warm down:

Muscle milk and the lovely ice bath with Ranger and Steve in Turkey Creek River! Ahhhhhh!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training on trails and hill work. The injury after IMFL ate into my winter of trail running...a lot!

Event comments:

Damn, that was hard, and I knew I had to do it again...in a few hours! Those downhills on the run are gonna be murder for the half!

Thank goodness for fast friends! Steve has been fetching the van (it's too wet to park on the grass by transition) and picking Ranger and I up so we don't have to ride back up hill to the lodge after racing. This weekend is hard enough already!!!

Last updated: 2011-01-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:57 | 1500 meters | 01m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 179/
Performance: Good
Suit: full zoot
Course: 2 loop counter clockwise in the lovely Turkey Creek Lake...can you say BROWN? Had to exit the water for loop two.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:53:41 | 24.85 miles | 13.12 mile/hr
Overall: 338/
Performance: Below average
garmin was not recording power or HR data. The 2 items I needed to stay at the right effort. Damn it. Went by RPE
Wind: Little
Course: Holy hell...out of the park, 5 miles to Thompson Hill, then about .75 up the hill which tops out at 23% grade and goes directly into a hairpin descent! Lots more climbing and descending, scrubbing speed all the while, with one last climb into the park area with a couple miles to spin out the legs before transition
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:04:05 | 06.55 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 288/
Performance: Average
No HR, but had pace.
Course: Holy Crap! Ryan had given me a description of the course (mostly up hill out with a slight downhill before the turnaround, run up that hill and mostly downhill back) that was kind of simplified! :) I'm not a strong runner and barely ran hills/trails this year. Oops. My bad! Fire trail gravel run path with some steep sections and that slight downhill was about .50 to .75 miles long!!! I walked some sections!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes