General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Revolution3 Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Middlebury, Connecticut
United States
Revolution 3
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 43m 48s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got there early, got a good parking spot. Ate a plain bagel with honey, some Ensure, and a banana. Got my transition area set up. Walked around and talked to people. Water and a gel before swim (15 min before)
Event warmup:

Got into the water and swam some. Not a lot of warm-up.
Swim
  • 48m 15s
  • 2310 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was good, slower than I had hoped, but I felt great for the swim. Before I saw my time, I would have said that was my best race swim ever, it was also my SLOWEST I think. I feel I sited well, I swam right next to all the buoys and never looked up and was like, facing out into the middle of the lake or anything. I didn't stop at all which is unusual (except when some dude stopped dead in front of me and I ended up on top of him.)
What would you do differently?:

Really, coming out of the water not feeling like I was going to die for a change was pretty nice, so I will sacrifice time for that. So. Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

This went well. First race of the year and it went smoothly.

Honestly, nothing.
Bike
  • 3h 36m 54s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good as soon as I got on the bike. Usually I am like 15 minutes recovering from the swim - it wasn't like that for me this time. I feel I stayed within myself on this ride - which was my plan. I really utilized my gearing, and I passed so many people. Very few passed me honestly, except a few guys. I think if I was a little more familiar with the course I would have had a better time, I didn't dare to really let loose on all of the downhills because so many of them ended at stop signs with sharp right or left turns. But I think I rode this smart, and mentally for me, 56 miles is a short ride for me now - that helps I think.

Maybe preview the course.
Transition 2
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

This went well too - I can't believe it was faster than T1

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 14m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually felt really good coming out of the run. I had grabbed 3 gels for the run in transition, I should have grabbed 4. I took a gel right off. My first mile was at an 8:30 pace according to my Garmin. Slow down Mandy. Hills are coming. And they did. Lots of people were walking in that 6 mile section. I ran it and passed a lot of people. Not sure if that was smart or not. Ran strong miles 8-10, then the last 5K was a push.

Not sure
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Um. The fact that I am slow?

Event comments:

Rev3 puts on a spectacular race!! Put this one on your list!

Last updated: 2011-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:15 | 2310 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 51/
Overall: 209/
Performance: Good
Suit: Tyr Hurricaine
Course: Long rectangle, swim left of the buoys. The buoys were super easy to see, well marked course. Water was really nice.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:36:54 | 56 miles | 15.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 41/
Overall: 157/
Wind: Little
Course: Relentless. That is the best way to describe this course. Constant rollers, lots of climbs, a few decents, but the rollers are not so that you can fly down and come up the other side. You need to be careful not to blow up on this course I think and really work your gears and pacing. Be smart. Beautiful though.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:14:04 | 13.1 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/
Overall: 155/
Course: This is also kind of relentless. The first 2ish miles are pretty flat, then the next 6 are a crazy climb on a dirt road. It winds and winds and goes up with a few downs. Miles 8-10 are good, and that last 5K was tough for me, just some small rollers. Nice course though.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-07 7:00 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Subject: Revolution3 Triathlon - Half Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed