Tri On The Run
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 8s
Overall Rank = 83/245
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/12
Pre-race routine:

Left Kingwood at 4:30 AM, which was a little early since I already had my packet and the transition area is set up by bib number rather than first come, first serve. I had a cold/canned coffee and protein bar for breakfast.
Event warmup:

My warmup was a dip in the pool and a few laps. I tried to rest more before the start of this one since my physical conditioning was not as good as last season. This race was really my kickoff and motivation to start training for the HIM in November.
Swim
  • 05m 25s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

The starts were staggered every ten seconds, with participants lined up in roughly their estimated swim time order, from fastest to slowest. I liked starting in the water where you can get a decent push off the wall to get started. After my first pool swim in a tri last year I practiced flip turns and although I'm not the picture of perfection, they really seemed to help. i had to swim over two people at the same time at about the 200 yard mark, which was daunting, but I was much more prepared this year to battle it out. In theory people tap each other on the feet and they let you pass at the wall. I learned last year that is mostly a theory. If you want it, fight for it!
What would you do differently?:

I would have trained more, but third in my age group is nothing to sneeze at and I know I will get much faster as the year progresses. Swim seems to be my best event and my new goal is to finish #1 in my age group in the swim section at least one race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

This time I brought a bright ribbon and sparkly pipe cleaners to attach to the rack and make sure I found my bike. No problems there... but man was I lethargic! I decided to wear socks, which took forever to put on, caught my sunglasses on the bike frame, mentally took a pause and did just about everything wrong until I grabbed the bike and started running with it. I'm out of excuses, so lets just say I was 142nd fastest in T1 and I have plenty of room to improve!

I'm going to try the next one without socks and spend more time training on transitions.
Bike
  • 44m 57s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.02 mile/hr
Comments:

My dreams of a 24 mph pace were squashed at about the 4 mile mark when the headwinds kicked up. I was very glad for the bolt-on aero bars I just had installed. It seemed like forever before I started passing people and I just started jumping up in the saddle and pushing myself to fight through it. Third in my age group was good, but I'm quite sure my run would have been much better if the bike segment had not been such a struggle and fight against the wind.

I may have paced the last couple of miles a little slower to prepare for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

I really wore myself out on the bike, so the transition was transition/catch my breath. 164th fastest transition is not the way to gain any spots. I used to use speed laces for the shoes, but found that the lack of stability was hurting my feet. I need to find a faster way to get the running shoes on.

Go faster!
Run
  • 28m 34s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm honestly surprised my overall rank on the run is above 50% because it felt sooo slow. My calves cramped up immediately when I got off the bike, lending to the hard pace on the bike and the lack of serious training at, what for me, is the beginning of my season. I didn't practice bricks and it showed big time.

Practice those bricks!
Post race
Warm down:

Nice icy towel across the shoulders and big hugs from my wife and my mom who came out to cheer me on! The post race tradition is to celebrate by eating Popeyes fried chicken, which I don't eat except after a race. Man it was good!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of brick training and focus in transitions.

Event comments:

Volunteers are just awesome people! They rocked!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:25 | 300 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 66/245
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Pool Swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:44:57 | 15 miles | 20.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 59/245
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Big loop, partially out and back down service roads for major highways. Tailwind on the way out and major headwind on the way back.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:28:34 | 03 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/12
Overall: 114/245
Performance: Below average
Course: Run through campus and residential streets. No real hills were to be found, but the lack of shade made it pretty hot. There were a couple of transitions through grass/gravel.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes