General Discussion Race Reports! » Montoya BFAST Triathlon Series - Race #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Montoya BFAST Triathlon Series - Race #2 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
United States
Beaches Fine Arts Series, Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 41s
Overall Rank = 108/387
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/27
Pre-race routine:

Ate some wheaties fuel for breakfast and a gel before the swim
Event warmup:

Swam out to the last bouy and back jsut to see what swim exit would be like and did some little running drills on the beach just b4 swim start
Swim
  • 10m 24s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

1st thing is I dropped 5 minutes from my race time from the 1st BFAST this year from 1:19 to 1:14. 2nd I dropped 2:20 off my swim. That should be huge and make me feel elated, right? Nope! B/c I finished in the exact same spot in my AG that I did in the first. 11th....
Today was all about the swimmers. Last BFAST was North to South swim with a weak current and low chop. Today was South to North with a STRONG current.
I struggled with the surf entry and a couple of waves actually pushed me back a bit. After the first buoy, I had a very hard time getting comfortable in the water and felt like I was flailing about in the water. The next wave caught me between the middle and last buoy.
Last BFAST I finished 3 minutes behind the swim leader in my AG and finished 8th in AG on the swim. Today I finished 3 minutes behind the swim leader in AG and finished 19th in AG on the swim! I was focused but could not self-correct on the swim. Once I was out of the water, I was fine. I had a much better bike and a faster run(even though I think I could have finished a little better on the run).

How often is it that you whack 5 minutes off your time on the same course in just over 1 month and feel like you totally failed?
What would you do differently?:

Become a duathlete
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

Average T1, fumbled a bit with race belt when it got twisted

Tape gel to bike rather than putting it in belt loop. Caused belt to spin and was hard to get out of the loop on the bike.
Bike
  • 35m 32s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.95 mile/hr
Comments:

1:14 faster than last BFAST. The only blessing I had from having a bad swim was that the 40+men started coming out of the water the same time I did so I was able to latch on to some fast guys and push the pace. My power meter quit working (again) about 1/3 of the way into the bike. I was pushing 205-225 watts at 90-99 cadence and felt fine. I pushed hard on the Nocatee bridge b/c my legs felt good. Overall, satisfied with bike performance
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Insert in my shoe folded under when I put my left shoe on. so had to take my shoe off and adjust.
I did nail the flying dismount though ( I feel like a cool kid when I do the flying dismount).

Run barefoot
Run
  • 24m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was 25 secs faster than last BFAST, but not where I was hoping to be. Was shooting for closer to 23 minutes. Felt a little tight off the bike and even though my run got faster as the run went on, I couldn't get my legs to turn over and push the pace I wanted.

Run faster
Post race
Warm down:

Light stretching then cheering on some club members that were finishing the race

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I can't swim

Event comments:

This is a great small race close to home. The course is awesome.

Last updated: 2011-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:24 | 440 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/27
Overall: 0/387
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Point to point ocean swim at Mickler's landing. Strong current with light chop.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:32 | 13 miles | 21.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/27
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Out and back from Mickler's Landing to Nocatee
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:24:23 | 03.1 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/27
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back from Mickler's Landing up Ponte Vedra Blvd
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-11 3:32 PM

Veteran
indian land, South Carolina
Subject: Montoya BFAST Triathlon Series - Race #2
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Montoya BFAST Triathlon Series - Race #2 Rss Feed