General Discussion Triathlon Talk » biking and back pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-29 11:19 AM

Subject: biking and back pain
I hurt my back about 9 months ago (compression fracture) and have been cleared for physical activity. Running and swimming haven't been bad, and biking on a recumbent bike at the gym feels pretty good. The problem is taking my bike out on the road. Between the awkward posture and the bumpy roads, it hurts, so i've mainly settled for just not biking. Any suggestions on how to make biking feel better again?

2005-08-29 1:00 PM
in reply to: #236438

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: biking and back pain
Did you have any physical therapy after the injury? Often times doctors don't prescribe PT if you don't ask or it doesn't hurt, but if you are truly healed there is no reason you should have pain. My guess is that you need to work on flexability and range of motion. At this point, I would definitely ask your doctor to prescribe pt. and explain that you are having pain in certain positions like on a bike.

Sounds like you've come a long way. Make sure you transition back to an active lifestyle correctly so you can enjoy Triathlons the rest of your life.
2005-08-30 8:43 AM

i did PT for about 3 months and have continued doing the exercises. I've come a long way with it so i'm trying to be patient. Is there anything I can do that is more bike specific? Thinking back to before the injury, staying seated on a bike for that long is not the most comfortable thing. Would changing positioning of handlebars/seat help? or getting a better more shock-absorbant seat?
2005-08-31 2:44 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I would say in general, if you raise the handle bars and are more in an upright position like a MTB, you will reduce the back pain. Think of a cruiser bike, where you are sitting up right and no pressure or weight on the front end. I would think that would be ideal for back pain but not for speed or aero.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » biking and back pain Rss Feed