General Discussion Race Reports! » RJA Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

RJA Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Montauk, New York
United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 32m 9s
Overall Rank = 151/599
Age Group = m 35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/62
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 after only about 4 hours of sleep. Got everything packed up and drove to Montauk for the second time in 12 hours. Had a large cup of coffee, and a bagel at about 5:30 (the race starts at 7:50). Got to the race start at 6:30 and it was already packed. In the past, they have assigned spots on the rack by your bib number, but not this year - which I kind of liked. I was able to get a god spot that was easy to find and not too crowded. Instead of going at the end of the rack, I set my self up at the inside end... along the fence. I figured it would give me more room and it did. It was perfect.
Event warmup:

Very short swim just to acclimate to the water temp which was a lot warmer than at the past at this race.
Swim
  • 34m 59s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a very good swim. The conditions were awful. The water was very chapy, the wind was creating a rather strong current and the dark skies made it impossible to see anything. The bigest problem was sighting... and this I attribute mostly to the fact that the buoys are a dark maroon color and our swim caps were black.

The truth is, I've gotten slower as a swimmer. I have swam more this year than any other year to dat and I've swam more so far this year than I have in some total years. I think that I've been training so intently on going slower and more comfortable so as to come out of the water fresh and relaxed, that I sort of forgot how to swim fast. I think that although the times I just get in the water and swim 3000-4000 yards straight is good for me head and cardio wise, I'm not sure if it actually makes me a better swimmer. I'm not going to freak out about it though. After all, I am training to be an IronMan this year and a difference of 2 minutes... even 7 minutes, doesn't mean a whole lot in a race that will take 13-14 hours. Next year or after the IM, I' going to focus more on speed and perhaps look into getting a coach.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I think that although I was slow, I was also relaxed and felt reat coming out of the water on my way to a PR.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

Pretty good, and pretty fast especially considering that it includes a run to te transition area that takes about a minute.
Bike
  • 59m 41s
  • 22 miles
  • 22.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Freakin Awesome!!!

By far the best bike performance for me in any tri I have ever done. I know this is the best bike I've owned and I know it fits me better than any bike I've ever ridden, but I think I can probably attribute some of this fast speed to the amount of time I've spent working on the bike. Bobby said I will remember all the times I get up at 3:30 to get in long rides and that I have built a stronger base than most of the other racers there and he was right on both counts. I completely and utterly hammered through this course. The hills felt like nothings and I flew down the descents with a ton of confidence.

I actually considered putting the disc cover on the back wheel the night before the race and I am so happy I didn't the wind was intense at times pushing my bike. I don't know if I would have been able to handle the bike with the disc in this wind.

Today, I was the guy passing people going up the hills and on the flats. Today, I was the guy they watched fly by.

Absolutely nothing,
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Pretty good t2. I brought my fuel belt because I remembered that all they have is water on the run. I didn't even rack my bike, I just leaned it against the fence.
Run
  • 52m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the icing on the cake after a great bike ride, I was strong, comfortable and confident enough to push it and completely empty the tank on the run. This run is really the culmination of so many workouts and so much time invested over the course of the last 5-6 years. For me to average sub 8:30 on this course after putting up the time I did on the bike is an absolute thrill.

The course is rather hilly and challenging. I pushed through it though. I pushed through the pain and the discomfort of climbing up the hills. I let gravity pull me down the hills making my pace about 6:30 on the descents and I picked people ahead of me to pass... YES... PASS!!!

By far my best triathlon to date. It has taken about 6 years of steady, consistent training but I finally put it all together on race day. I am most pleased with the results of my run. I pushed myself throughout this somewhat challenging course on the bike too.

In the past, I was passed by scores of people on the run... But Not Today

In the past, I would have allowed myself to rest (even walk) up some of the hills on the run... But Not Today

In the past, I would never have the opportunity to pass others... But Not Today (and even some with IM logo tattoos)

In the past, I would have been discouraged with the tough conditions in the swim and caved... But Not Today

In the past, I would have rested on the bike and coasted to conserve energy... But Not Today, today, I left it all out there on the bike.

In the past, I was able to convince myself that a mediocre race was a good one... But Not Today

I think I can finally say that I RACED a triathlon.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and ate and found the car so I could head home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Last updated: 2011-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:59 | 1760 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/62
Overall: 62/599
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blue Seventy Sprint (Full)
Course: Out and Back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:41 | 22 miles | 22.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/62
Overall: 114/599
Really only about 20 miles
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and backs around the lake and out to the lighthouse. The course map is in my blog.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:29 | 06.21 miles | 08m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/62
Overall: 208/599
1 08m 01s 1.00 miles 08m 01s /mile 2 08m 08s 1.00 miles 08m 08s /mile 3 08m 40s 1.00 miles 08m 40s /mile 4 08m 31s 1.00 miles 08m 31s /mile 5 08m 58s 1.00 miles 08m 58s /mile 6 08m 14s 1.00 miles 08m 14s /mile 7 01m 54s 0.25 miles 07m 43s /mile
Course: Small loop with some hilly out and backs
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-12 7:04 AM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: RJA Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon

2011-06-12 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3544449

User image

Subject: RE: RJA Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon

Michael, I am so happy and so proud!  I think we can safely say this is your "breakout" triathlon race.  It's been a long time coming!!

You didn't have a bad swim.  Considering the choppy waters, and that they never measure that swim correctly, you had a good swim.  In fact, seeing where you finised OA on the swim, I'd say it was a great swim. 

You hammered the Bike, which I know you would.  And like it always does in Triathlon -- it came down to the Run.  And finally, for the Love of all that is good and right in the world, you had a great Run.  Finally!!!  I new you had it in you, Michael. 

This race was a culmination of:  Consistent training; You weigh the lightest you ever have; and you finally Raced -- and Raced with some Confidence. 

2011-06-15 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3544449

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: RJA Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon
Great Race Mike!!  Your run time would be great on that course as a standalone, but after hammering the bike to run like you did, is awesome!..It was great seeing you today, albeit briefly...I know how precious time is for you IM-trainees.  Logs look incredible! Keep it up!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RJA Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon Rss Feed