AA SPORTS, LTD.
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 47s
Overall Rank = 380/484
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 30/42
Pre-race routine:

Tried (and failed) to get a good night's sleep the night before. Ate some cereal in the morning, but didn't have much appetite due to nerves. Got to the race site about 6:45, after a car ride with my stomach in my throat (thank goodness my husband was driving.) Once I got there, getting body marked, setting up my transition area, etc. took my mind of the nervousness, and then it was time to get warmed up and get started!
Event warmup:

Jogged for 3 or 4 minutes a little over 1/2 hour before race, then got into wetsuit. Headed to start of swim, then got into water. Acclimated by blowing bubbles and side breathing. Only swam a few strokes before I had to jog over to get to my wave start in time. (But hurrying to get there in time beat standing around freaking out before the start, I thought!)
Swim
  • 20m 48s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started near the front but outside to avoid the worst of the crowd. Took a few minutes to find my rhythm...Choked a little on splashing water. After that, settled in to a pretty steady, but slow, pace. No problems sighting buoys. Got bumped and kicked a little, but not as bad as I'd feared. Surprised at how slow my time was compared to what I swim in the pool, but I was just happy I finished without being exhausted!
What would you do differently?:

Didn't need to scout quite as often as I did...Next time I might try every 8-10 strokes instead of every 4-6 to see if my efficiency in the water improves. Would have liked to slow my breathing down to 1:4 for the first 100 or 150, but nerves and cold water made that too difficult.
Transition 1
  • 07m 37s
Comments:

Took it easy, chatted with my spectators. Probably could have approached the undressing/dressing in a little more organized fashion, but I wanted to slow down and enjoy the experience a little! By the way, my bike computer said it was almost a quarter-mile run from the transition area to the bike mounting area. I wonder if everyone's T1 was slow for this race? Or is that a normal distance for a transition?

Next time I might rehearse the order of things a little, if I'm concerned with improving my time. And not chat so much! (But that was part of the fun!)
Bike
  • 43m 34s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Passed a few, got passed by many. Kept a nice fast cadence throughout. Exceeded my expected speed! Enjoyed myself, though my backside was pretty sore by the end!

Might practice an aero position more, as it helped my speed when I used it. Had a hard time sustaining it. If I stick with it long enough to make it worth it, those aero bars look pretty cool...
Transition 2
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

It was a long run through grass back to the transition area...Pretty uncomfortable in my bike shoes, so I didn't push to hard. Not sure if barefoot would have been better or worse.

Quick laces on my running shoes next time!
Run
  • 27m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt tired, but I think being used to a fast cadence on the bike increased my foot turnover when I started running. I'm extremely skeptical about the course measurements, because I definitely did not think I was running at that fast a pace! My time was only a little slower than my 5K PR! Tried to smile to everyone I saw.

Nothing...I put just the right amount of effort into it so I wasn't falling-down exhausted at the end, but definitely tired!
Post race
Warm down:

Not much! Probably should have stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still not used to the wetsuit & open water experience. I'm much faster in the pool! Also, I spent time chatting with my friends and family during transitions, which made me less organized. While that was perfect for my first tri, since I wanted to stay relaxed and have fun, I could have saved 3 or 4 minutes by improving my transitions.

Event comments:

Good first experience! Wish the run course had been a little more logical, but then again, it kept me guessing! Everything was well-marked, so it made it easy to figure out what I was doing as a newbie.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:48 | 880 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 384/484
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit/neoprene socks
Course: Triangular, counter-clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:34 | 12 miles | 16.53 mile/hr
Overall: 404/484
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Flat, out & back, with some headwind on the way out. Beautiful view of the river!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:07 | 03.11 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 292/484
Performance: Good
Course: Long gradual rise out and back led to a strange meandering course that went through grass, down short trails, and along the lake on a slippery concrete sidewalk. Hard to figure out what was coming next!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes