Cellcom Green Bay Marathon
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 44m 14s
Overall Rank = 1956/2053
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 158/159
Pre-race routine:

Let's start out a week ago.... my last long training... I had unexplained arch pain that really had me thinking I wasn't going to be able to run this marathon and that my whole training summer for Ironman was going to be lost. I had a lot of aches and burning periods during the week but no real pain. I taped it up, iced it, took meds, stayed off of it, but didn't run on it in fear of what would happen. So race day was the test... I mentally planned on it being a very long day.
Can we say WIND??? Let's put it this way... at the 7 am start time winds were 26 mph and grew up to 32 mph with gusts up to 41 mph from the North/Northeast.

Got up super early and had a fig breakfast bar, a banana, and some tea and some Diet Coke. My mom had hurt her back a couple of days before and we had made the decision that she just wasn't going to be able to handle spectating the race because of her pain. I put on my happy face but deep down I was really sad. Dad and I got ready to go so we could get there early enough and meet up with my group of friends.
Event warmup:

Walking from the parking lot to the start line and then from the parking lot by the start line to the spot behind the start line and then that spot to the start line.... probably a good mile :) It was windy and chilly... I couldn't decide what layers to leave on and what to take off.
Run
  • 5h 44m 14s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Before the race: Checked my bag and then stood around with my Dad waiting for everyone to go to the bathroom. While waiting I saw a bunch of people from work. It was chilly and I was still having trouble deciding what I needed to have on. Took a gel around 6:45am or so for a last boost of energy! Then said goodbye to Dad and went with everyone to line up at the start.
Start: Waited here for the national anthem.... we were so far back that we couldn't really hear anything until the national anthem which everyone went quiet for. Did hear the gun but heard the crowd cheer. Waited around 7 minutes or so to move up to the start line. When we crossed the start line, Lady Gaga's The Edge of Glory was playing. Great song for the start of the race!
Mile 1: Started off nice and slow loving the feel of the crowd and runners around me. I wasn't sure how my foot was going to hold up so I just took it easy. Initally down the Lombardi Street stretch, I felt nothing. But then I noticed some tugging with the tape on my outside of my ankle and started wondering if it was a smart idea to tape it up. My goal was to keep the two 5:00 pace guys around me with my 3:2 run/walk plan. I started out
Mile 2:
Mile 3:
Mile 4:
Mile 5:
Mile 6:
Mile 7:
Mile 8:
Mile 9:
Mile 10:
Mile 11:
Mile 12:
Mile 13:
Mile 14:
Mile 15:
Mile 16:
Mile 17:
Mile 18:
Mile 19:
Mile 20:
Mile 21:
Mile 22:
Mile 23:
Mile 24:
Mile 25:
Mile 26:
Finish:
What would you do differently?:

Not a single thing. I handled a hugely difficult race with the best of my ability. I did an amazing job considering everything!
Post race
Warm down:

Got a bottle of water, my medal and tee shirt, then got my checked bag and found my parents. Took a couple of pictures and they asked if I wanted any food. I honestly couldn't stomach anything and I wanted to get out of the wind so we back to the car very slowly. I couldn't eat anything for probably an hour or two and felt asleep about 15 minutes after walking in the house. I don't think I have felt that bad after a race ever! And proof today is very very sore thighs and swelling! Guess the wind got me good!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My foot/arch..... the wind..... nothing I really could have controlled. It was a great race given the situation.

Event comments:

Except for the course error, which is being handled really well.... this race is world class! The volunteers, staff and everyone who lines the course is amazing. The wall being down was not the race's fault but the wind. I am not sure I will ever run the full here again because it is so early season, but it is nice to know I have it in my backyard!!

Last updated: 2010-10-18 12:00 AM
Running
05:44:14 | 26.2 miles | 13m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 158/159
Overall: 1956/2053
Performance: Good
Mile 5: 59:07 Mile 10: 2:01:33 Mile 13.1: 2:36:06 Mile 15: 2:59:02 Mile 20: 4:03:24 Interesting note for the lap info.... they messed up the course. We went down a street one block too far and therefore ran an extra 400 feet x2. This resulted in adding .15 miles to the distance. They are going to adjust our distance and times soon and when I get those numbers I will post them.
Course: http://www.cellcomgreenbaymarathon.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/2010-CGBM-Marathon-Map-small.pdf That is the best way to describe it is to just give you a map.... it is a marathon.... it is long. We also had a problem with a misdirection on the course that had us run down a block further and up a block further... this added about 800 feet or so to the course. My adjusted time is now 5:42:17 however in my mind the time I have posted is what really happened that day!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes