Georgia Multisport
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 42m 43s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/28
Pre-race routine:

Packed up the car the night before, so AM was easy. Left at 4:15 AM...ouch. I love my TYR transition bag. The parking is far from the race and it was nice to have everything organized. This was the last race with the road bike! Bitter sweet. My fall races will be on the K-Factor.
Event warmup:

After setting up transition, I went for a nice long swim. I headed out to the fatherest buoy on the up leg. Slowly picked up the pace. Felt really good. The water was warm but not as hot as last year.
Swim
  • 27m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I do my best swims on time trial starts and this was no expection. I ran high kneed and dolphin dived at the right time. I passed a ton of people on the up leg and got with the lead pack. I fell back a little on the middle leg. I found some great drafting and it really helped. I pushed the home leg. I was feeling like I was slowing, so I found a target ahead and pushed until I got their feet. Once again, I think the course was a little long. If you look at the times, there is not many low 20s, if any at all, which is a clear indication the course was long. I still had a great swim - 2nd in AG and top 10 in the race.
What would you do differently?:

I am not in top swim shape. So, more than anything, I need some pool time, OWS practice, and weight work.
Transition 1
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Holy bat shit...this was a fast one. Speed suite stripped to waist quick, cap and goggles off before I got to the bike. I had great location - four rows in and on the end. Very nice. I wish they would have blown off the parking lot. It was griddy and I got a nice little rock in the foot while running with the bike. I am getting better with the feet on the top and the transition into the shoes. I need more work on it, but that is not really T1 time.

It was fine. Nothing special, nothing bad.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 37s
  • 25.2 miles
  • 20.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I let it hang out on the bike. I took some of the hills easy, but hammered the flats. I was hating getting passed by the tri bikes. My first reaction was stay with them, but I need to be smart for the run. This was a fast course. A few rollers, but mostly nice long flats. It was my fastest split for an OLY, so I can't complain.

GU at mile 7 & 20. Bottle of Nuun, coca water and water. tasted like crap...will not do that again.

Never try something new on race day! I think the tri bike is going to help some. Just need to get comfortable jumping off.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Can't touch this...another really fast T. I undid the straps before the turn into the park, but did not pull them out. I waited until we were well into the park. This worked very well as I did not loose any speed going into T2. I jumped off at the line and ran with the bike. Quick in and out.

All is good in T2 land.
Run
  • 59m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I tried hard to "manage" this run. In the end, it managed me. I ran 9:00 min. first mile and just settled in. I ran the second mile at 8:45 and felt good. Fred passed me at almost the exact same place as last year. I slowed down a little over the dam, but still felt ok at the turn around which is mile 3. I looked at my watch and realized it was going to be very close. The trip back over the dam did the damage. I slowed down and the hamy started twitching. I started getting nervous about a melt down. I walked the small hill which was a mistake. My hamsting grabbed as I walked. F me, not again. I gritted my teeth and pushed on, but the pace was frustrating. The right calf went numb at mile 5. Weird feeling. I kept looking at my watch and praying the tri gods would throw me a bone as my goal was melting away. I hit mile 6 and I knew I could not get a sub 2:40. I brought it home as best I could. It was the longest .2 miles!

With my right calf in a weak state and left hamy tight all week, I knew it would be a "maybe" on this run. Again, I need to get back in the gym. I need some strength and bulk before the fall races. Also, I need to start adding more bricks into the WOs. I think they would help. It may not seem like I am making progress, but I am.
Post race
Warm down:

I was light headed after stopping. I staggered into the misting tent which felt like paradise. I grabbed a Gatorade and sat down. I thought for a minute I was going to pass out. I focused and collected myself. I decided it was time to go. I packed up and walked to the car.
============
This was a course PR by 6 mins. I think that made it a good day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

health.

Event comments:

For some reason, it felt like they went through the motions on the race. The food tent was not good. They need to re-think their approach. Also, I think they should shift the finish line to the slight incline and not the side shoot.

Last updated: 2011-03-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:40 | 1640 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/28
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:39
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:37 | 25.2 miles | 20.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/28
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:59:14 | 06.21 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/28
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-06-12 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: West Point Lake

2011-06-12 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3545104

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: West Point Lake
We can all see the improvement.  You are dropping wicked fast bike splits and the run is just about there. 

Solid race.
2011-06-13 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA

Good race capn.  T-times, holy crap batman!  And you were commenting about mine last year? I can't touch you now. 

Your bike split is becoming strong, love it.

The run, well the dam didn't do the damage, you own the dam but that little sharp hill in the shade just plain sucks.  Now if the hammy just works itself out.  Glad to see the PR.

Capn won this round with WestPoint, congrats on the good race on back to back weekends, now just fix that hammy.

2011-06-13 8:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
nice job captin!  awesome swim and bike!  i've never hit the run there either...so hard to prepare for that heat.  way to fight through the pain and finish strong!
2011-06-13 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great job Captin!!!

Solid swim (as always)
Smoking T1 & T2! Man, those are some fast tranistions.
Great ride, busting into the 20's+, very nice!
Way to hang tough on the run, even with all the leg issues you had going on.

Not the sub 2:40:00 you were looking for, but a six minute improvement is amazing. Well done!
2011-06-13 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great job Captin!!!

Solid swim (as always)

Not the sub 2:40:00 you were looking for, but a six minute improvement is amazing. Well done!

2011-06-13 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great job Captin!!!

Solid swim (as always)

2011-06-13 7:21 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
J -

That looks like a great day, pure and simple. Nailed it across the board, inclu. the T's. That's the mark of a veteran...Nice.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » West Point Lake Rss Feed