General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2012-03-18 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4098147

Regular
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread

No beach at all.

You walk out on a pier about 10 feet above the water.  The wave ahead of you is in the water.  They start.  You jump in a minute later, you swim around for 4 mins, you start, the next wave jumps in the water.

Hmm.  Not so sure how I feel about that.

Thanks for the info.

I've done both and I actually prefer the deep water starts.  I don't like touching with my bare feet whatever creepy-crawlies are on the bottom of the lake/ocean/etc...  Like others have said, you get a few minutes to adjust to the water before you have to start swimming, which is nice.  The cold water always knocks the wind out of me a little bit, so I like having that couple minutes to get my breath back before starting the swim.  And your wetsuit does make it so you don't have to really tread water that actively.  If you are a BOP swimmer, that would even allow you to jump in the water a bit later, minimizing your time in the water before the start. 

2012-03-19 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4091547

User image

Master
Houston
GMAN 19030 - 2012-03-12 6:58 AM

rbalazs - 2012-03-11 5:07 PM Are the winds always headwind and tailwind or are there cross winds? I'm trying to decide between a 404 or 808 front wheel. If it's a constant wind with minor gusts I'll go with the 808. But if it's Kona like winds where you get a 50mph gust that blows you from one side of the road to the other than it's the 404. Anyone with wind experience on the course I'm all ears!

Rick, winds normally come from some southerly direction.  Last year was SSW, the year before was more S.  That meant headwind/tailwind (with some crosswind) last year and a lot of crosswind in 2010.  I rode a disc both years with a Hed H3 front in 2010 and a Hed Jet 6 front last year.  I'm running the H3 again this year.  It can be very windy in Galveston.  Prepare as such.

My wife and I rode the course yesterday.  There was a cross wind the whole time coming off the ocean in what I assume was a NNW direction.  Effectively this meant a cross wind on the way out and a cross / head wind on the way back.   There were some gusts, but mostly pretty steady. 

We were riding the wheels that came on our bike (read:cheap with no depth) but my wife (who races as an Athena) still felt like she was being pushed toward the traffic on the way back.  Of course there was some relief where the houses blocked the wind.

On a seperate note the first 20 miles of the out and back are great road.  The last 8 starting on the way off the Pass are horrible.   I wanted to hammer down the hill off the pass but it is patched all over the place.  Then there were several potholes that made me go to the middle of the lane to avoid them.

There was about a mile where they have apparently cut part of the shoulder off, but haven't removed it yet so what was left of the shoulder had occassional large pieces of road on it, and if you went too far over your tire would either be caught in the grove they cut or running over what looked like a pile of rocks strewn where the shoulder use to be.

Hopefully there is no vehicle traffic on that side of the pass durring the race.  I know the pass itself will be closed.

2012-03-19 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4102407

User image

Payson, AZ
NewClydesdale - 2012-03-19 5:47 AM

My wife and I rode the course yesterday.  There was a cross wind the whole time coming off the ocean in what I assume was a NNW direction.  Effectively this meant a cross wind on the way out and a cross / head wind on the way back.   There were some gusts, but mostly pretty steady.

If there is going to be any kind of significant winds on race day cross winds is my dream.  I ride in cross winds nearly every day.  It's ok though, I put an order in for a calm day (calm means <15mph).  You're all welcome...
2012-03-19 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4102407

Round Rock
Silver member
Great information on the road.  Thank you.  Will have to watch out for the bad spots between 20 and 28 it sounds like.  Yep, I am hoping for crosswinds too if there are any.  And we know that it is a better changes than not there will be winds!
2012-03-19 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3546372

Regular
Austin, TX

Thanks for the update on the winds/road!  We had a lot of cross winds on our 66 miler this weekend.  I would prefer cross over head for sure.  I'm still hoping for head out and tail back though.  A girl can dream, right?  There will be wind, just the direction is the wild card.

Clothing/shorts question for everyone....I've been riding my long rides on my tri bike in my tri shorts that have really no padding at all.  I haven't had any problems for several weeks of doing this until my ride on Saturday.  I've done up to 70 miles in my tri shorts and haven't had any problems.  Saturday was a lot warmer/humid than I've been training in, and I'm a sweating beast so my shorts were wet the entire time.  I now have a giant saddle sore.  Since I knew I was going to be hot and sweaty, I used a ton of Body Glide on the nether regions hoping to avoid the chafing and friction.  What has been working well for weeks failed miserably on Saturday.  :-(

Thankfully, all my long workouts are over, but it's now making me think of possibly changing into bike shorts in T1.  This is my first 1/2...am I crazy to consider this with what just happened this weekend, or should I just let the saddle sore heal the next couple weeks and tough it out with the tri shorts, which have been working fine until this point?  The ride on race day will be shorter....  I thought I had all my plans in place, but this new development has me questioning those plans.  :-/

2012-03-19 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4102797

User image

Payson, AZ
Mrs Bru - 2012-03-19 8:31 AM

Thanks for the update on the winds/road!  We had a lot of cross winds on our 66 miler this weekend.  I would prefer cross over head for sure.  I'm still hoping for head out and tail back though.  A girl can dream, right?  There will be wind, just the direction is the wild card.

Clothing/shorts question for everyone....I've been riding my long rides on my tri bike in my tri shorts that have really no padding at all.  I haven't had any problems for several weeks of doing this until my ride on Saturday.  I've done up to 70 miles in my tri shorts and haven't had any problems.  Saturday was a lot warmer/humid than I've been training in, and I'm a sweating beast so my shorts were wet the entire time.  I now have a giant saddle sore.  Since I knew I was going to be hot and sweaty, I used a ton of Body Glide on the nether regions hoping to avoid the chafing and friction.  What has been working well for weeks failed miserably on Saturday.  :-(

Thankfully, all my long workouts are over, but it's now making me think of possibly changing into bike shorts in T1.  This is my first 1/2...am I crazy to consider this with what just happened this weekend, or should I just let the saddle sore heal the next couple weeks and tough it out with the tri shorts, which have been working fine until this point?  The ride on race day will be shorter....  I thought I had all my plans in place, but this new development has me questioning those plans.  :-/

You won't really have a spot to change unless you wonder over to the bathroom or something.  I think you need to come up with a solution that doesn't involve changing.  Did you use different shorts then you usually use?

2012-03-19 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4102845

Regular
Austin, TX
bzgl40 - 2012-03-19 10:53 AM

You won't really have a spot to change unless you wonder over to the bathroom or something.  I think you need to come up with a solution that doesn't involve changing.  Did you use different shorts then you usually use?

Nope...same shorts I've been riding in for at least the past 2 months.  :-(  Only thing that was different was the heat/humidity.  Guess I'll just need to suck it up then.  I'm not swimming in bike shorts.  Didn't know there wasn't anywhere to change.  Could be a lot of standing pedaling the last few miles!  LOL!

2012-03-19 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4102926

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Mrs Bru - 2012-03-19 11:28 AM

bzgl40 - 2012-03-19 10:53 AM

Nope...same shorts I've been riding in for at least the past 2 months.  :-(  Only thing that was different was the heat/humidity.  Guess I'll just need to suck it up then.  I'm not swimming in bike shorts.  Didn't know there wasn't anywhere to change.  Could be a lot of standing pedaling the last few miles!  LOL!

Try a different cream. Since the only difference seems to be the temperature and the amount you sweat that's where I'd start. I find that BodyGlide will dilute after it get's wet or sweaty.

Personally, I cake Aquaphor inside my tri shorts before the swim and even after I get out of the water I have no problems. I've done this for IM's as well.
2012-03-19 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4103397

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
I slather up with Aqauphor before every long race as well.  It's super cheap and stays on forever.  It takes like two showers to scrub it all off.
2012-03-19 7:35 PM

Regular
Austin, TX
Thanks for the suggestions, guys!  I'll pick some up and give it a try.  Looks like I'm going to miss out on some riding time this week, but best to get it healed up before the race. 
2012-03-19 7:45 PM
in reply to: #4103881

User image

Payson, AZ
Yeah, hay is in the barn already.  Best to not aggravate it even more.  Extra taper.  Try to not go too crazy.

2012-03-20 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4103891

Regular
Austin, TX

bzgl40 - 2012-03-19 7:45 PM Yeah, hay is in the barn already.  Best to not aggravate it even more.  Extra taper.  Try to not go too crazy.

Epsom salt soak last night worked wonders, much better today, but still not 100%.  Workouts were supposed to be much shorter/easier this week anyway.  Was going to do a recovery week this week and taper next, but I'll just enjoy the additional time off.  Had a run planned for tonight and after getting pulled and yanked every which way in physical therapy today, my therapist told me it's best to wait until tomorrow to run.  Just can't win!!!  Hey, at least my house is getting really clean with all this free time on my hands, and I won't be able to say I wasn't well rested come race day!  I'm certainly not a "sit still" kind of person, just don't know what to do with myself when I'm not working out in some way!  LOL!

2012-03-22 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
T-10days and counting !!!! Cool Lets hope the current weather forecast holds up .... "Sunny, Less Humid, high of 76 with SE winds at 7-16" That would be AWESOME race day weather
2012-03-22 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4108164

User image

Payson, AZ

se7930 - 2012-03-22 7:46 AM T-10days and counting !!!! Cool Lets hope the current weather forecast holds up .... "Sunny, Less Humid, high of 76 with SE winds at 7-16" That would be AWESOME race day weather

Ok, for someone who lives in Tucson and notices when we get up to 10% humidity, what exactly does "Less Humid" mean in Texas?!?!?  lol

2012-03-22 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4108205

User image

Master
Houston
bzgl40 - 2012-03-22 10:05 AM

what exactly does "Less Humid" mean in Texas?!?!? 

In Houston/Galveston area if it is "Less Humid" then your clothes are not soaked the minute you walk outside, they stay dry ALMOST till you reach your car. If it is really dry the sweat will stay on your body, and not be joined by beads of humidity.

More Humid would mean that you could tell people you had swum 70.2 miles.

2012-03-22 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4108220

Round Rock
Silver member

LOL! Used to live in Houston.  You are bringing back repressed memories of the heat and humidity!

2012-03-22 10:55 AM

User image

New user

This will be my first HIM, any last minute suggestions for a newbie?
2012-03-22 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4108296

User image

Master
Houston

rtkendrick18 - 2012-03-22 10:55 AM This will be my first HIM, any last minute suggestions for a newbie?

My first HIM too.  But I did do the 5150 on the same course so I'll suggest Sunscreen.

2012-03-22 11:03 AM

Regular
Austin, TX

rtkendrick18 - 2012-03-22 10:55 AM This will be my first HIM, any last minute suggestions for a newbie?

X2!  :-)

My workouts this week have been a mess working around this stupid saddle sore.  Got on my trainer for a couple minutes last night and it was a no-go for a full workout...still a bit tender, but hoping it will be good enough for my ride this weekend.  Had a bad run yesterday too, which has frazzled me a bit.  Only ran for 35 minutes, but felt like a slug the entire time and had dizzy spell when I had to stop and tie my shoe.  Messed with my head a bit...  :-

Tapering gives me more time to think and I don't think that's a good thing!  LOL!

Edited by Mrs Bru 2012-03-22 11:04 AM
2012-03-22 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4108205

Regular
Austin, TX
bzgl40 - 2012-03-22 10:05 AM

se7930 - 2012-03-22 7:46 AM T-10days and counting !!!! Cool Lets hope the current weather forecast holds up .... "Sunny, Less Humid, high of 76 with SE winds at 7-16" That would be AWESOME race day weather

Ok, for someone who lives in Tucson and notices when we get up to 10% humidity, what exactly does "Less Humid" mean in Texas?!?!?  lol

I grew up near Sedona, lived there for 23 years before moving to Austin.  The first mile I ran in Austin I felt like I was drowning....litterally....  Now when I come home to AZ to visit family, it's like I can feel my skin drying out as soon as I step outside of the airport.  Not a problem for me in TX 9 years later, but it really did take me time to adjust.  In all fairness, I moved here in August...dumb, dumb, dumb....  I think we're all in for a real treat if we can just hold on to this weather streak we've been having!  Cross your fingers and hope, peeps!

2012-03-22 1:41 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

rtkendrick18 - 2012-03-22 8:55 AM This will be my first HIM, any last minute suggestions for a newbie?

Remember to not overdo it on the bike.  Bike hard, but within your limits.  You'll be jacked up, excited, etc etc.  Same thing on the run.  The run will eventually start to hurt.  That's ok, it'll finish soon enough, embrace the hurt.  Remember to keep up with your hydration and calories on the bike.

Oh, and most important, HAVE FUN. 

2012-03-22 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Longview
This will be my first triathlon at this distance,  about 3 weeks go I ended up with bursitis in my hip I have not been allowed to run since then.  As you can guess at this point I am truly psychotic in regards to my run.  At this point I guess I will swim,bike, and then 13 mile victory trot. Not worried about the time limit just wish I could have done this better. I was hoping to be sub 6 hours.  No pain in my hip at present but I have been advised to just run walk the run portion and enjoy.
2012-03-22 5:46 PM
in reply to: #4109101

User image

Payson, AZ

lanceho - 2012-03-22 3:27 PM This will be my first triathlon at this distance,  about 3 weeks go I ended up with bursitis in my hip I have not been allowed to run since then.  As you can guess at this point I am truly psychotic in regards to my run.  At this point I guess I will swim,bike, and then 13 mile victory trot. Not worried about the time limit just wish I could have done this better. I was hoping to be sub 6 hours.  No pain in my hip at present but I have been advised to just run walk the run portion and enjoy.

YMMV but my partner had/has bursitis in her hip and one ART treatment and she was 100% fine.  Able to fun and everything.  Periodically she has to go back but all in all it is excellent.  Even the provider was surprised, he thought it would take a few sessions at a minimum.  Might be worth looking into. 

2012-03-22 6:02 PM

User image

Regular

Make sure you enjoy the experience and have fun!

2012-03-23 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4109101

Regular
Austin, TX

lanceho - 2012-03-22 5:27 PM This will be my first triathlon at this distance,  about 3 weeks go I ended up with bursitis in my hip I have not been allowed to run since then.  As you can guess at this point I am truly psychotic in regards to my run.  At this point I guess I will swim,bike, and then 13 mile victory trot. Not worried about the time limit just wish I could have done this better. I was hoping to be sub 6 hours.  No pain in my hip at present but I have been advised to just run walk the run portion and enjoy.

I can totally relate!  I've been battling some ankle flexibility/stability issues and a strained left hip flexor.  I've been in PT for 12 consecutive weeks and things are getting better, but I will also not be racing this event the way I had hoped.  For the most part I've been able to train around the injuries.  My run is going to be a run/walk combo with 5:1 splits, which is how I've been training my long runs.  Maybe I'll see ya out there on the run and we can chat while doing our run/walk victory march!  LOL!  Since it's my first 1/2 I'm just going to go into it with the thought process to learn as much as I can about the distance and event and enjoy the day.  Then come back next year better than ever!  :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 7