General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No longer a tri virgin! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-14 2:11 PM

User image

Madison, WI
Subject: No longer a tri virgin!
Finished my first over the weekend (olympic) and have mixed feelings. I had a great experience overall. The weather was perfect, the other competitors were encouraging and I survived. I learned a great deal and have many things to iron out, but again...I survived. Discouraged with my times and placement, but that just gives me more to work on, right? Anyway, I enjoy trolling the forums here and now feel like I deserve to view them.

2011-06-14 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3548850

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: No longer a tri virgin!

Congratulations, triathlete!  I just finished my first "real" tri too.  Isn't it an awesome feeling?

As to times, you've gotta figure you're in a completely new venue and can't expect your best time in each discipline when you're probably combining them for the first time.  Whatever you did, it's a PR.  Plus it'll give you a nice low bar to surpass on your next race!  Laughing

2011-06-14 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Congratulations! Great job completing your first tri. I have only heard a very few people post that they were happy with their first time. I certainly was not. I crashed my bike in an off-road tri, torqued my ankle and run/walk/limped for the whole 5K! I was at least an HOUR slower than I expected due to the mishap. You learned a lot, know what to improve. I suggest getting another race on the calendar ASAP
2011-06-14 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

My first tri I think I swam 2x the distance because I swam so far off course.

Welcome to the club.  By the way, you "deserved" to read and post on these forums the minute you decided to take on your first triathlon.  Congratulations...now go spend some money on some cool tri gear!

2011-06-14 7:40 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Congrats and welcome to the club! good luck the rest of the season in your training and future races.
2011-06-14 7:43 PM

Congrats!

2011-06-14 7:51 PM

User image

Portland, Oregon

I just finished my first tri, a sprint, over the weekend, and I had a similar reaction to my place in the field. My goal was just to finish, and I actually was a couple minutes faster than I anticipated, but then I realized I was 3/4th of the way down in my age division, and 380 out of 484 total. Even though I thought my time was totally respectable, I just have to realize that triathlons attract the type of talented, super-serious athletes that I am not!

Anyway, I'm trying to convince myself that the pressure's off now that I realize I'm probably never going to place in the age division competition, but it's still a bit of a disappointment.  I had a ton of fun training for and competing in this event, though, and I definitely want to stick with it, maybe eventually do an Olympic distance tri.

Congratulations on your accomplishment, and good luck on your next time out!

2011-06-16 6:22 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

It's encouraging, actually, to see someone post here who's not all like, "I just did my first tri and I placed 2nd in my age group!!" I wasn't happy with my first tri times, either, particularly the run, even though I was nursing an injury and had started back to running (after 2 months off) three weeks prior. Come to think of it, I'm never happy with my times. Guess that's the curse of being an endurance athlete.

Sometimes I have to take a break from forums like this, where people post their times and I start thinking, "Why can't I be that fast??" I try to remind myself of where I've come from and, even though I'm still comparatively slow, I've actually become a lot faster than I used to be. More importantly,  every day I can swim/bike/run farther and it's less of a struggle.

2011-06-16 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3551793

User image

runk8run - 2011-06-16 7:22 AM

It's encouraging, actually, to see someone post here who's not all like, "I just did my first tri and I placed 2nd in my age group!!" I wasn't happy with my first tri times, either, particularly the run, even though I was nursing an injury and had started back to running (after 2 months off) three weeks prior. Come to think of it, I'm never happy with my times. Guess that's the curse of being an endurance athlete.

Sometimes I have to take a break from forums like this, where people post their times and I start thinking, "Why can't I be that fast??" I try to remind myself of where I've come from and, even though I'm still comparatively slow, I've actually become a lot faster than I used to be. More importantly,  every day I can swim/bike/run farther and it's less of a struggle.

Okay how about this:

I've been doing these things for about five years now. I've done one IM, Four (and a half) HIMs and who knows how many OLYs and sprints.

I've never been DFL but I've still been running when the person who was DFL was on the last lap or had already hit the turn around on a few occasions.

I'm a MOP swimmer (literally 140 out of 284 in my last race), a FoMOP biker and I'm regularly beaten by arthritic water buffalos in the run so the odds are I'm never even going to be finished a race of OLY or longer before the awards ceremonies are either started or over.

For some here, this racing stuff is literally all they have and it's important they're good to the best at it there is so they write up their accomplishments and share them with people who at least can understand and may even care a bit about them. That's us. Few outside of those who do this sport much care about it and they do get bored hearing about it in about 20 seconds.

Me, I'm just in it because I got tired of being fatter than I am and I like the biking and swimming. Running is my payment for being able to do the other two.

To the OP, congrats! This is one of the most fun groups, for the most part, that I've ever been part of. Now that you're hooked, start looking at aero helmets and wheels

2011-06-16 9:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste (Siberia) Marie
When I finished my first tri I had the feeling of accomplishment, and I was actually please with my time. I finished and was within three minutes of my goal. Was a little unhappy with my run, but after tearing my shoulder in the swim the year before, finishing was my only real goal.
2011-06-16 9:24 AM

User image

Madison, WI
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. That is one of the reasons I love this site. Good people.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No longer a tri virgin! Rss Feed