General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who said you'd 'never do an IM' but did? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

Who said you'd 'never do an IM' but did?
OptionResults
Always knew I wanted to do an IM someday36 Votes - [42.86%]
Said I never would but eventually did40 Votes - [47.62%]
Never really gave it much thought8 Votes - [9.52%]

2013-10-18 10:57 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

Subject: RE: Who said you'd 'never do an IM' but did?
I'm in the boat of "I'll never do an IM" but I am slowly coming around to the idea. Started doing tris last year out of curiosity and did four sprints. Although I didn't do particularly well for my liking, I enjoyed the challenge and knew that if I committed myself and trained smart I could get decent at it. Earlier this year my friend and race partner suggested we do a HIM so we signed up for it and did Augusta a few weeks ago. I finished the race swearing I wouldn't do an IM but lately have been watching the finish line cams at the various IMs and have been motivated by seeing people crossing that line and for many the sense of accomplishment you see on their face. I want that feeling but am thinking I will wait until 2015 to do it. My goal is to continue to build my base, do 1-2 HIMs next year, and then see how an IM will fit into my life the following year. Funny how things escalate once you start doing them.

2013-10-18 4:00 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
4yrs ago I did my first tri - a local sprint distance - right after finishing I said "Never again", later that year I did my 1st Olympic - right after finishing I said "Never again"!! The following year I did my first HIM distance - I hurt so bad after I said not only never a HIM again but never another tri!! 2yrs later and I've completed my first IM distance and funnily enough its the only time I've finshed and said I want to do that again!! no I fid myself lookig at doing a double in a couple of years!
I always looked at those who had done an IM and thought how unreachable it was until I put my mind to it a year ago! Amazing how the body adjusts and the mind follows!
2013-10-18 4:40 PM
in reply to: grahamclarke_6

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by grahamclarke_6

4yrs ago I did my first tri - a local sprint distance - right after finishing I said "Never again", later that year I did my 1st Olympic - right after finishing I said "Never again"!! The following year I did my first HIM distance - I hurt so bad after I said not only never a HIM again but never another tri!! 2yrs later and I've completed my first IM distance and funnily enough its the only time I've finshed and said I want to do that again!! no I fid myself lookig at doing a double in a couple of years!
I always looked at those who had done an IM and thought how unreachable it was until I put my mind to it a year ago! Amazing how the body adjusts and the mind follows!

Interesting perspective! I have always said, get your mind set and the body will follow. :-).
2013-10-18 4:43 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
I was one who said I'd never do one. This has probably already been said, but the real question is will I do another after completing IMAZ next month? I'm telling everyone I'm one-and-done at IM distance after IMAZ but I'm interested to see how many folks say that going into their first IM and end up doing more.
2013-10-19 12:42 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Veteran
Great White North
For me it was "Not Now" I was never super intimidated by it I just knew I wanted to wait until I was willing to invest the time.
2013-10-19 12:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Did my first Sprint a couple of years ago after having run Boston and finding myself looking for a new challenge. Didn't really know how to swim and didn't own a bike. That first sprint almost killed me. I was almost DFL on the swim although I came in middle-of-the pack on the bike and 15th overall on the run. It was at that time that I thought "an IM is impossible", "how can it be done?"

Well, that's what hooked me. It became so fun to discover how far I could go. Two years later after a few Oly's and two HIM's I completed the Expedition Man Iron Distance Triathlon in Lake Tahoe (held 8/24/13). I almost DNF'ed but came in at 14:50 for my first IM. I missed my goal time by over one hour. So, I'm doing another one in 2014 to redeem myself. Full Vineman 2014 here I come. Never say never!!! It is possible!

Edited by Lock_N_Load 2013-10-19 12:01 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who said you'd 'never do an IM' but did? Rss Feed  

of 3