General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heal Toe Doe-c-Doe your partner... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-16 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Heal Toe Doe-c-Doe your partner...

It appears I have somewhat of a mid strike to heal strike. I have never been properly explained about the best stride. Seems like opinions are once again like elbows; most everyone has a couple.  Is there a link or what are your comments on the subject.

The main reason for my Q is a shin splint in my right leg is coming back. I have only had shin splints once and it was about 6 mo ago from overtraining. Currently I am going for a run every day this month for my birthday. For the most part I did not know if my stride is effecting my shins.

2011-06-16 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3552683

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Heal Toe Doe-c-Doe your partner...
How are your shoes?
2011-06-16 1:15 PM

heal strike- a therapeutic touch.  

theres nothing wrong with heel striking if thats what you meant.  it may be the preferred way of running long distances.  

2011-06-16 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Run how you run. to avoid injury don't overtrain, make sure you have good shoes, stretch properly, stay hydrated, and if you can, vary the surface you run on (running all the time on Concrete is not that great for you, but mixing up trails, paths, concrete, track etc give your body a nice rounded experience.)

Have fun with it. I tried doing a run every day in June but got stopped due to my PT's orders, though I can no run gently again. I am going to try it again in July and see how it goes after almost a month of PT and light workouts.

2011-06-16 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shoes are good this is my third round of Mizuno  Wave Inspire 7's. I always have the shoe store look at them, their opinion is backed by my comfort. i think the shin splints are from overtraining a bit. 
2011-06-16 5:10 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
brooksinc1976 - 2011-06-16 11:09 AM

It appears I have somewhat of a mid strike to heal strike. I have never been properly explained about the best stride. Seems like opinions are once again like elbows; most everyone has a couple.  Is there a link or what are your comments on the subject.

The main reason for my Q is a shin splint in my right leg is coming back. I have only had shin splints once and it was about 6 mo ago from overtraining. Currently I am going for a run every day this month for my birthday. For the most part I did not know if my stride is effecting my shins.

I would bet that you aren't as much a heel striker as you think. I highlighted the important part. What was your running regimen before you started an every day jaunt?

John

2011-06-16 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH

I had some kid at some running store call me a heel striker, but if you slow the video down and look at it, you'll notice that while it looks like I'm about ready to slam my heel into the ground, my foot mostly levels off moments before touchdown.  So it looks like a heel strike at first glance, because my heel is down and my toes are up during end of the recovery, but it doesn't actually impact that way.

If you have the ability to get some good video of yourself or someone with a camera that can take a lot of pictures quickly, you might do it just to see if you really are that much of a heel striker, or more of a "faux" heel striker.

Edited by apicek 2011-06-16 5:16 PM
2011-06-16 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3552898

User image

Lafayette, CO

brooksinc1976 - 2011-06-16 1:40 PM Shoes are good this is my third round of Mizuno  Wave Inspire 7's. I always have the shoe store look at them, their opinion is backed by my comfort. i think the shin splints are from overtraining a bit. 

You say comfort but you're having problems?   How old are your current shoes?  And I don't disagree with tkd.teacher.  While for some the run every day thing is great, I don't believe it's for everyone.  Your body, at your level of fitness, may simply need a rest day. 

2011-06-17 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3553216

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodstock, MD
COSkiGirl - 2011-06-16 6:23 PM

You say comfort but you're having problems?   How old are your current shoes?  And I don't disagree with tkd.teacher.  While for some the run every day thing is great, I don't believe it's for everyone.  Your body, at your level of fitness, may simply need a rest day. 

I'd bet most people could get to the point where they could go every day. But that's not the same as recommending that everyone go out and start running every day.

If you've been running say three times a week, jumping to every day is too much too fast.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heal Toe Doe-c-Doe your partner... Rss Feed