General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Well that was a disaster - first OWS experience Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-16 8:42 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: Well that was a disaster - first OWS experience

I went for my first OWS tonight with a group of about 75 people and it didn't turn out so good. 

I think this goes back to last week as well, so let me give you a little background there too.
Last week when I had my first Sprint Tri it had a 300 yard pool swim.  I can do 300 yard sprints with one arm tied behind my back.  I did 5 300 yard intervals the week before just to see what my time was and they all came in between 4:15 and 4:20.  However, when I did the swim in the Tri I started off and noticed the pool had a deep end (15 feet i think) which I'd never experienced before.  Then after the first lap, my goggles fogged over and all of a sudden, I couldn't breath.  I was gasping for air and my heart was racing (after one lap).  I pushed through the swim, but it was miserable and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my heart was racing and I was breathing so hard.  I ended up finishing my swim in 5:00, so i chalked it up to race nerves and it only cost me 40 seconds.

Now tonight... I started out with the pack and everything went perfect initially.  I didn't have any issues at all with keeping my head in the water and breathing.  I was spotting every 7-8 strokes and then about 500 yards in I looked up to spot and my goggles were fogged over again and I couldn't see the buoy. then I did another stroke and tried looking up again (out of timing) and sucked in a little water.  No big deal, I'll just watch the people next to me and follow them.  I keep chugging along for another 8-10 strokes and look over and I managed to veer away from the pack and then all hell broke loose.  I turned to go back to the pack and all of a sudden my HR started racing again and I couldn't breath.  crap, here we go again... I tried taking slow breaths and going very slow with my stroke to no avail, I couldn't slow down my breath.  I went onto my back in a full back float barely moving my feet and I still couldn't catch my breath.

One of the spotters came over in her Kayak seeing me in distress and I grabbed on.  I held there for a good couple minutes and I still couldn't catch my breath.  With some encouragement from her I was able to finally calm down a little and start swimming back to the start, but I couldn't go more than a minute or so without my HR and breathing spiking again.  By the time I got back to shore I was coughing blood and could barely breath.

I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to describe in detail what happened to hopefully get some advice as to what's going on in my head.  My guess is that I'm hitting something "unexpected" and getting an adrenalin rush which is spiking everything and it all goes down hill from there, but I'm curious to what you guys think.

I am so thankful I was in a structured OWS training environment with spotters. (or whatever you call them)  I am also discouraged because I know this is a mental thing and has nothing to do with my conditioning.  I am however, very very glad I didn't wait until my actual race before doing my first OWS.  That would have been devastating.

Any other pointers?  I am also signing up for every OWS practice in town until I figure this out... Cool

I did already buy new goggles and they're showing up tomorrow, so I'm hoping that will fix part of the issue.

2011-06-16 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3553434

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Subject: RE: Well that was a disaster - first OWS experience
Don't really have any advice but it seems to me that your plan is a good one. I would stick to group swims until your comfortable. Many people have trouble with the swim so don't be discouraged.
2011-06-16 9:06 PM

User image

Elite
First of all before I forget buy some antifog spray. Best 7 bucks you will spend!!!!!!!... Trust me all goggles will fog at one time or another.If you looked around this board, what you are describing is very common. Im not sure of how familiar youare in the open water even before you started training for tris but a few things are causing the problem.... But fixable !Regarding the pool swim you just need to have some more confidence in your training and try your best to control your nerves . This will come with a lot of training and having confidence that you are prepared and nothing bad will happen to you!!!!Did you wear a wetsuit? Did you see how hard it is to sink in it? You need to just get into the ow more even if it is just to wade around to get comfortable and realize even if you swim to fast and are out of breath you can stop or go to a recovery stroke. Do you have a recovery stroke?I truly believe once you can SEE, practice more in open water and be able to be focussed and confident in your ability you will be fine.Get back in the water ASAP!!!!!If you can usually handle the distance in the pool you need to stand at the start of your swim and say " I got this, this is what I Do and have trained for!"good luck!!!

Edited by FELTGood 2011-06-16 9:08 PM
2011-06-16 9:09 PM

COUGHING BLOOD?

2011-06-16 9:15 PM
in reply to: #3553472

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
jmot - 2011-06-16 9:09 PM

COUGHING BLOOD?

Yup, I seriously was at the end.  I had a persistent cough for a good hour after the workout too and I'm worried I'm going to have to skip my workout tomorrow.
To put it mildly I gave my lungs a stress test.

2011-06-16 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3553476

User image

Washington
tuwood - 2011-06-16 7:15 PM

COUGHING BLOOD?

Yup, I seriously was at the end.  I had a persistent cough for a good hour after the workout too and I'm worried I'm going to have to skip my workout tomorrow.

Coughing blood is not normal. I'd go to a doctor if I were you. That, along with the fact you couldn't catch your breath for several minutes while resting, raises concerns that this could be more than your average ows panic.

Edited by Torin 2011-06-16 9:31 PM

2011-06-16 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3553490

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Torin - 2011-06-16 9:28 PM
tuwood - 2011-06-16 7:15 PM

COUGHING BLOOD?

Coughing blood is not normal. I'd go to a doctor if I were you. That, along with the fact you couldn't catch your breath for several minutes while resting, raises concerns that this could be more than your average ows panic.

I know what your saying, I'm not concerned at this point because I've had this before after a very strenuous workout.  I'm not coughing up chunks or anything, just had a cough at the end of the swim and could taste some blood.
I still have what feels like a tickle in my throat so if I take a deep breath I want to cough.

2011-06-16 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE

Tony,

First off, glad you made the workout, I didn't get a chance to see you but I'm sure I'll meet you Sat morning. I was late as usual, I was the last to sign up and once again didn't have time to put my wetsuit on, so did it without.

Not sure I have any answers for you but, the water was pretty cold, did you have any trouble breathing due to the water being chilly. It wasn't terrible cold, but I think it was colder than lake Manawa was 2 weeks ago, of course lake Manawa is only about 5-7 ft deep. Maybe you'll have better luck Sat morning. Just to let you know where we swim you can touch about anywhere, so hopefully that calms your nerves.

From your times looks like you just need to do it a few times to get comfortable, you are about a min faster than me in the pool, but I have been swimming in OW all my life, so even though I'm slow, I just chg along.

Another thing on the sighting, with the sun setting if was tough to sight to the turn around because of the sun, but the way back was easy.

As far as goggles, new ones are a good idea, 2 pairs of new ones even better, 1 for racing only, the second for daily. I could use new ones, they fog ever so slightly, I don't use no fog spray, just the ole spit on the lenses before the workout trick.

Anyway, it will get easier, just keep at it, see ya saturday.

2011-06-16 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3553503

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
cstoulil - 2011-06-16 9:40 PM

Tony,

First off, glad you made the workout, I didn't get a chance to see you but I'm sure I'll meet you Sat morning. I was late as usual, I was the last to sign up and once again didn't have time to put my wetsuit on, so did it without.

Not sure I have any answers for you but, the water was pretty cold, did you have any trouble breathing due to the water being chilly. It wasn't terrible cold, but I think it was colder than lake Manawa was 2 weeks ago, of course lake Manawa is only about 5-7 ft deep. Maybe you'll have better luck Sat morning. Just to let you know where we swim you can touch about anywhere, so hopefully that calms your nerves.

From your times looks like you just need to do it a few times to get comfortable, you are about a min faster than me in the pool, but I have been swimming in OW all my life, so even though I'm slow, I just chg along.

Another thing on the sighting, with the sun setting if was tough to sight to the turn around because of the sun, but the way back was easy.

As far as goggles, new ones are a good idea, 2 pairs of new ones even better, 1 for racing only, the second for daily. I could use new ones, they fog ever so slightly, I don't use no fog spray, just the ole spit on the lenses before the workout trick.

Anyway, it will get easier, just keep at it, see ya saturday.

I don't have a wetsuit, but it didn't seem too cold.  The sun was a little crazy to site into and when the goggles went foggy it was all bets off.
I'll be there Saturday morning with some new goggles.  I did buy two pair as well.

2011-06-16 11:15 PM

User image

Elite

Did you see my thread about the same thing last week.. it gets better. Surprised even me.I kicked butt next time.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=255719&posts=23&start=1

Edited by powerman 2011-06-16 11:16 PM
2011-06-16 11:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Even new goggles can fog up.  Rather than continuing to swim with impaired vision, you would be better off transitioning to a modified breast stroke kick for a couple seconds so you can use both hands to lift the lenses, fill them with water, and dump them.  You can do this by barely cracking the goggles' seals against your eye socket.  This should keep them clear for a while.

2011-06-17 6:26 AM

User image

Ann Arbor

First, I'll echo what others have said: for some people, myself included, it takes a lot of OWS to get comfortable. Swimming away from shore, into deep, dark water, is NOT natural.

I wouldn't discount the idea of a trip to the doc for a physical. It never hurts to have one.

Finally, maybe you are going out too fast. 300y in 4:15 is pretty fast. Maybe you need to start slower.

Good luck, once you conquer the OWS it is very satisfying to pound through the swim leg with confidence.

2011-06-17 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3553500

MoCo, MD

I know what your saying, I'm not concerned at this point because I've had this before after a very strenuous workout.  I'm not coughing up chunks or anything, just had a cough at the end of the swim and could taste some blood.
I still have what feels like a tickle in my throat so if I take a deep breath I want to cough.

Even if you accept this as normal for you because it happened before, it's not normal. Get it checked out.

2011-06-17 6:55 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
You'll get better at it. Just say to yourself over and over ... `You're swimming in a pool. You're swimming in a pool.'

My first ever open water swim was in Lake Manawa and I thought I was going to die. I freaked and had to grab the buoy line a couple times. Eventually you just get used to swimming in disgusting bodies of water.
2011-06-17 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

There was a post on this recently and I couldn't find it.  But look into this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming-induced_pulmonary_edema  Sounds pretty similar.  Good luck.

2011-06-17 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3553762

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
rsmoylan - 2011-06-17 7:43 AM

There was a post on this recently and I couldn't find it.  But look into this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming-induced_pulmonary_edema  Sounds pretty similar.  Good luck.

Interesting... I did chug a whole bottle of Gatorade before my swim and one of their comments was:

"Avoidance of excessive pre-swim hydration is advisable"

Thanks for all the comments everyone.  It's funny I've read dozens of these OWS freak out threads and always wondered what was up with people.  I guess it's karma coming back at me.  lol

2011-06-17 9:21 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

OK, per the advice of several posts in this thread I called & scheduled a physical.  I've been doing this for almost a year and have never gone to the doctor.  Heck, I haven't been to a doctor in 15 years so I think it will be good to get a physical just to make sure everything's in working order.  Laughing

My wife and I had a close friend and neighbor who died a couple years ago from a pulmonary aneurysm.  He was a runner and just ran 3 miles that morning.  So my wife would kill me if I didn't get this checked out.

Thanks

2011-06-17 9:28 AM

2 Things:

1.  There was a recent thread where the blood/swimming was discussed.  Do a search.  I think H20killer was the author.  It is a serious condition apparently.

2.  J&J Baby Shampoo works GREAT for antifog.  I buy the little travel bottles and keep them in my bag.  Just wipe some on the inside of your goggles and rinse.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Well that was a disaster - first OWS experience Rss Feed