General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2012-05-04 11:22 PM
in reply to: #3556416

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George : Official Thread
Good luck to everybody racing tomorrow!

2012-05-05 5:58 PM

WOW,  I don't even know what to say besides I am stunned.  ABSOLUTLY BRUTAL conditions today.  I of course was only hauling a camera man around but all you athletes got pounded.  Weather didn't seem to bad, maybe a little breeze and a little chop when the sent off the Pro's but when the AGers left the wind started howling.  There were 3ft swells out there some of the boat guys were saying.  Within the first 30 minutes I saw at least 3 full boats coming back with people ending their days.  Those that made it were 15min to a 40min off pace.  Even the pro's I think didn't have anyone out of the water until about 55minutes.  Then the Bike where I was involved had major winds and gusts.  Looked like they were having to ride at an angle it was blowing so hard.  Headwind all the way to the wall then a little push up the wall then a cross wind the rest of the way.  We filmed one guy that said this was his 40th Ironman and his hardest by far ever.  No wonder the registration numbers have gone down every year.  Another girl we filmed was from Kona and she said the swim here was far more difficult than Kona.This Ironman is no joke.  Huge congrats to those of you whom have gotten through the first 2 transitions and whom will end up finishing.  Also for those of you who didn't finish Kudo's to you for your effort.  Being a cyclist myself I have had aspirations of doing some Sprints and Olympics and maybe even a Half some day but after watching this I might have to stick with Motorcycle Media support.
2012-05-06 12:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Well, tough day for this flatlander. Cooked the bike and paid for it on run. Splits were 1:18 / 6:25 / 4:15 to finish at 11:58:38. Missed goal of sub 11:30:00.

I was told it was the slowest winning Ironman race in its whole history. Ben Hoffman logged a 9:03 or something. Lots of DNFs for this race. Curious to see the final excel file.

Congrats to Bryan for winning my age group. So impressive! No roll down for my 41st place. Ha!
2012-05-06 1:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Bryan I'd like to hear about your race against the German you ran down to win the AG title. That guy hammered the bike.
2012-05-06 5:43 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
First of all, a HUGE congrats to everyone who finished this race, the conditions were the worst I have ever trained or raced in. More in my race report to come. Regarding the German guy, turns out he is an ex-pro cyclist. He passed me climbing a hill around mile 10, out of the saddle hammering. I saw he was in my AG but, Jesus, it's mile 10, dude! He crushed the bike in 5:18 and was first AG'er on the run but he fell apart by lap 2 and I caught him at mile 22. He got caught by one othe athlete and finished 3rd. So funny considering what we were taking about just a page back about fast Germans.
2012-05-06 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4193049

Regular
Tucson

Nice AG win Bryan!  I was watching you on the tracker until the tracker fell apart.  It stopped tracking you after mile 11 on the Mary and apparently stopped updating everyone else.  Saw your ST post and was really excited for your win.  Congrats!

Mike said on the live feed at 8 minutes before cut off that they had around 1020 finishers with 1400 starting.  Yikes...Brutal out there.

2012-05-06 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
That was quite a day out there, huh? If you finished that one or made the attempt, wear it with pride. Not the performance I had hoped for, but I actually felt pretty good most of the day and just kept plugging away. Had a bad patch in the run, but got my mojo back and finished well. 1:37/6:14/4:17 for me.

Great job on the AG win Bryan! Well done.
2012-05-06 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4193484

User image

Veteran
Heber City, UT/San Carlos, Mexico

I told you man, those German dudes were strong when I was pre-riding out there. He did the bike in 5:18??? That's insane. I was about 1.5 hours slower than I expected on the bike.

Did a little "write-up" on the St G thread at the regular IRON chat.

I do give mad props to anyone who survived it thru that swim. I think that's the most insane thing I've ever done... that swim yesterday.

My first foray into Ironman races was a brutal one, but successful and that's what counts, eh?

Good job to all who finished this .

2012-05-06 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4193517

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-05-06 5:08 PM

Expert
Marin County, California
I took my first DNF, which was the right thing for me.

I write a splurb on the St george thread in the main ironman forum with how my day went down.

Please don't be sorry for me, I'm definitly not! I learned so much from my experience that it will simply build on my ability as an ironman athlete!
2012-05-06 5:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Suzanne - I love your attitude! Your thoughts are similar to what I heard over and over after the race. People very quickly switched from worrying about their times to getting out of the water safely and then just going with the flow of what the day had in store for them. I heard a lot of people letting go of their ego yesterday and it was good.

I talked with a guy this morning who was pulled out of the water and later went on to finish the race without a chip. He was disappointed, but had a great attitude.

Brad

2012-05-06 5:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Suzanne - I love your attitude! Your thoughts are similar to what I heard over and over after the race. People very quickly switched from worrying about their times to getting out of the water safely and then just going with the flow of what the day had in store for them. I heard a lot of people letting go of their ego yesterday and it was good.

I talked with a guy this morning who was pulled out of the water and later went on to finish the race without a chip. He was disappointed, but had a great attitude.

Brad
2012-05-06 5:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Sorry for the double post. I can't remove the second one using my phone, which is all I've got at the moment.
2012-05-06 11:28 PM

Irvine, CA

I finished my Ironman St George quest with a 14:32!!  Officially 2 minutes off my goal that I gave my wife on a piece of paper with my predicted splits.  I guessed I would be leaving the swim transition in 1:40 (safe siding things, thank God! If I pounded a smooth swim I figured 1:15ish so I'd be smart and conserve energy)  I actually left in 1:42.

I predicted 7:30 on the bike based on the kicking I took when I went up and test rode the course in March.  I came back 15 lbs lighter and the proud owner of an 11/28 cassette which helped.  I know I had a great personal ride with the conditions, 7:32 (again, I know slow by many of your standards but I was proud). 

The marathon I figured would be 5:15 give or take based on my being a 4 hr flat basic marathoner.  I "ran" the marathon in 5:12.

I have to say for me ocean swim training was a key!  I had a blast and again would like to thank all of you Iron vets for the advice and humor.  May the wind always be at your back!

2012-05-07 10:58 AM

I finished with a 15:38, and my race report (long!) is at the link below. I went around the outside of every red buoy, but after the headwinds on the bike I never thought I would make the 95 mile cut off at Veyo. When I did (by 15 minutes) after that it was all gravy.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=439084

2012-05-07 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4194928

Veteran
Heber City, UT/San Carlos, Mexico

Nice write-up Rhemium.

Sorry about the turtle pee.

You and I finished out of the water right about the same time. Being that 60% of women didn't finish the swim, you kicked .

At the end you mention having to pick up all your stuff and stumble back to the hotel solo. I was telling my wife that THANK GOD I had some friends and family to meet me at the end of the race. I didn't have to carry anything but my blankie and my medal.

Congrats on finishing. Every person I saw out on the run that afternoon, I had MAD respect for... having survived the swim and that bike wind.

All the nice people cheering us on the run saying "good job", "you're doing great", etc, etc, they had no idea how we started our day, and few ever will truly 'understand' except for those of us who were in that lake.

Good job to all   Smile

2012-05-07 1:27 PM

Thanks gw. I'm sure the turtle was as suprised as I was!

I just did the numbers and over 50% of my age group (35-39F did not finish) what a crazy day!

2012-05-07 1:38 PM

My friends and I went down to watch the race and train. Hats off to anyone who signed up for this race to begin with. Add the conditions of the day and as has been said, MAD respect. I know I wouldn't have made the swim, that was my worst nightmare coming true.

2012-05-07 3:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
Tough day out there... I was very close to calling it a day several times. Couple of hours slower than my goal but I have never been so happy to finish. Respect for those who didn't make it for one reason or another, either. I definitely wondered if I was going to make it a couple of times on that swim. A few years ago, I know I DEF would NOT have made it. The bike.... I had doubts about my shoulder holding up for six hours, much less the actual 7.3 it had to. Also have a cold and forgot my inhaler which made the climbs.. Interesting. The weird thing was, I didn't realize that it was so bad for everyone, I thought I was just having a bad day!
2012-05-07 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4193484

Veteran
Dallas

citaltfort - 2012-05-06 2:01 PM  1:37/6:14/4:17 for me. 

We'd make good training partners:  I was 1:18 / 6:17 / 4:15 for a 11:58:38

2012-05-08 10:06 AM

carlsbad

Just got back last night.  My wife and I had 2 days to debrief everything and I have so many different thoughts and emotions I don't even know where to start.  I finished about 2hrs slower than planned( did the whole swim all the way out to that far orange tyr bouy hanging around the yellow and red bouy).  My wife did the whole swim ( no course cutting) and got pulled at mile 66.

LittleCat- I'm so sorry about your day and what happend. I agree with all of your post race thoughts and feelings( course cutting, continuing with chip, etc) I'm a big fan and love following your adventures and hearing what you have to say.  You helped me stay motivated throughout training and I'll be cheering you on in the future.

Bryan- Way to stay strong and stick to your game plan.  I was pumped to hear that you nailed it and beat those (not fast enough) german shmermins.  I saw you at the expo the next morning with your mom but didn't want to interrupt.  

It's hard to type feelings.  I don't want to sound like a jerk... I get it.  This is just a race and not worth dying over.

Major props to everyone out there.  I understand being in survival mode and getting to shore but SHAME on whoever for continuing with a chip if you cut that swim.  

I heard the swim cutoff was extended 10min.  Why? this is a slap in the face to my wife and others who did the real swim course then missed the bike cutoff. I have a friend who was over 2hr20min but was able to contiue.   He's fast on the bike so was easily able to finish the race.  It's 3 events, not fair, sorry.  This is where there seems to be a big grey area.

Ironman has some major SOP's and contingency plans to figure out.( the reality is they don't care)  I'm glad nobody died and I love the BT support system we have here.  There has been some really stupid and ignorant comments being made on other websites. 

Semper Fi, Daniel

2012-05-08 10:06 AM

carlsbad

Just got back last night.  My wife and I had 2 days to debrief everything and I have so many different thoughts and emotions I don't even know where to start.  I finished about 2hrs slower than planned( did the whole swim all the way out to that far orange tyr bouy hanging around the yellow and red bouy).  My wife did the whole swim ( no course cutting) and got pulled at mile 66.

LittleCat- I'm so sorry about your day and what happend. I agree with all of your post race thoughts and feelings( course cutting, continuing with chip, etc) I'm a big fan and love following your adventures and hearing what you have to say.  You helped me stay motivated throughout training and I'll be cheering you on in the future.

Bryan- Way to stay strong and stick to your game plan.  I was pumped to hear that you nailed it and beat those (not fast enough) german shmermins.  I saw you at the expo the next morning with your mom but didn't want to interrupt.  

It's hard to type feelings.  I don't want to sound like a jerk... I get it.  This is just a race and not worth dying over.

Major props to everyone out there.  I understand being in survival mode and getting to shore but SHAME on whoever for continuing with a chip if you cut that swim.  

I heard the swim cutoff was extended 10min.  Why? this is a slap in the face to my wife and others who did the real swim course then missed the bike cutoff. I have a friend who was over 2hr20min but was able to contiue.   He's fast on the bike so was easily able to finish the race.  It's 3 events, not fair, sorry.  This is where there seems to be a big grey area.

Ironman has some major SOP's and contingency plans to figure out.( the reality is they don't care)  I'm glad nobody died and I love the BT support system we have here.  There has been some really stupid and ignorant comments being made on other websites. 

Semper Fi, Daniel

2012-05-08 10:07 AM

carlsbad

Semper Fi, Daniel

2012-05-08 10:08 AM

carlsbad

Semper Fi, Daniel

2012-05-08 10:09 AM

carlsbad
wow, sorry about that. I'm a tool and computer idiot
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 32