General Discussion Race Reports! » Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Verona, Wisconsin
United States
Race Day Events
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 25m 40s
Overall Rank = 77/84
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am - had a PB bagel and some gatorade and headed down to the park at 5:45. It was raining early in the morning and then stopped while we setting up transition - then the rain started. Initial start time was supposed to be 7:08 but after a few delays they called off the swim and just did the bike and run. Official race started at around 8:05am
Swim
  • 00m
  • 586 yards
  • / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 57m
  • 11 miles
  • 11.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Where to begin on this one

First tri on my new slice so I was excited. It actually felt a bit weird (and struggled a bit) at the beginning since it'd been an hour since I really warmed up and i didn't have a swim to get my HR going. I struggled to get going for the first mile. Once I got my rhythm down it felt good. Averaged a good pace to the turnaround, however after the first up hill I noticed some noise from the front and realized I had a flat.

First time changing a flat on my own so I knew it would be a struggle. After struggling to get the tube off and back on, I realized I had no idea how to do the C02 part. I tried to put it on but nothing happened. Another biker stopped by because his daughter had a flat and we tried to use his C02 valve but it didn't work. As I started to take it off it fired off and into the woods. Very scary the amount of power that has and I realized I was very lucky that no one got hurt. A few moments later the road mechanics found us and changed both of our tires. All in all I was stopped for 22 minutes. I knew that I was going to be ne of the last (if not the last sprint biker to finish). One more comedy of errors to top it off is that because I was the last sprinter on the course (elite olympic riders had passed and I didn't see any other bikers nearby) I missed the turn off on part of the course. I was lucky enough that I hit the main road that went back to transition but I probably added an additional 1/4 mile to the ride. However while doing that I notice that my left shifter became loose and it wouldn't stick on the big gear so I was only able to average about 20mph on the ride back (on the relatively flat part)
What would you do differently?:

Make sure I learn how to change a tire with the c02 catridge. I also took my bike in to the shop to make sure the shifters are working correctly.

Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

I was the only person returning at that time since the slowest sprinters had already finished and the fastest olympics had not quite finished yet. It was pretty depressing coming into transition
Run
  • 27m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt good. Some of the elite bikers came in after me so they passed me right away and I think I got caught up with their pace as I was going 7:30-8:00 for a good half a mile. At the first big hill I slowed way down to my normal 8:45 pace. After the first couple of hills the run felt good. As I was one of the last sprinters I just kept trying to keep the spirits up and finish strong. I would have liked to finish under 27 but I was happy with a sub 9 min /mile
Post race
Warm down:

Met my wife and walked to the food stand. Had a nice spread including quaker steak wings. Drank some water and then headed home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Flat tire - my garmin said my moving pace was 19mph. I have no doubt if I didn't get the flat I could've finished with 19.5mph or so which I would've been very happy with on a moderately hilly course. Couple that with the shifter problems.

I probably could've pushed the run a little more but I was happyw ith it.

Event comments:

Rain really spoiled the event but was happy they did not cancel it.

Last updated: 2011-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 586 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/84
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:00 | 11 miles | 11.58 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Somewhat hilly
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:12 | 03.11 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Couple hills at the beginning, not too challenging after
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-06-20 11:29 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed