General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
Tuxedo Brothers
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 19m 29s
Overall Rank = 270/442
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00 and had my oatmeal and coffee. Wilson and I loaded the bikes in the back of the car, we waited for John, our photographer, to come over to the house and we were on our way by about 6 a.m. to the race site. I checked the radar when I got up, major rain was on the way, and it started sprinkling as we were loading up the bikes and it was POURING by the time we got to the race site. We parked, Wilson aired up our tires and we walked the bikes down to transition and then walked back to the car and sat inside for about 10 minutes and then walked the rest of our stuff down and set up. Still pouring rain, ugh.... They delayed the start about 20-30 minutes.... thankfully it didn't turn into a Duathlon.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam about 300 yards and stretched and then did a fast 25-50 yards. I didn't mind the rain so much after I was already wet!
Swim
  • 11m 34s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I really thought I was putting in some effort and I don't know why my pace was so slow (for me). I sighted alot, so maybe raising my head slowed me down? Got kicked in the ear on the last part of the swim. Other than that, not too much contact.
What would you do differently?:

Not sight so much? I hope to get into the lake and really concentrate on some pacing... my OWS's are always so much slower than my pool swims.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Long run from the swim exit to my bike, but it was on smooth pavement so I was able to run it well. Socks were soaking wet, shoes were wet, everything was wet. Did this race "naked", no Garmin, didn't want to chance ruining it with all the rain.

(157/442)

Nothing.
Bike
  • 33m 25s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Second tri this season in the rain. I took this pretty easy, both because of the wet roads and thinking about not hammering it for the run. I really slowed down on all the turns and corners and even took it easy on the downhills since most of them had curves at the bottom and I wasn't that familiar with the course. Definitely could have gone faster in dry conditions.

Could have pushed a little harder on the straights and uphills. Be more familiar with the course.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Got back and the 2 bikes on either side of my spot were really crowding my area, so I didn't have much room. Struggled to get the bike on the rack, and I need to check my running laces, I need to be able to get those running shoes on faster! Left the sweat towel as it was already dripping wet, grabbed my visor, and race belt and took off.

(315/442)

Work on getting running shoes on faster, and pick a transition spot that's not so crowded.
Run
  • 30m 47s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't think the hill out of transtion would be a big deal, it looked like what I train on all the time, but it sucked. I ended up walking about 4 steps before I screamed at myself to HTFU and just do it. Ran the rest. Took about 1.5 miles before I was feeling good and I was able to pick up the pace the last mile and had a good burst of energy on the downhill into the finish line. Got a couple of bursts of energy when Wilson and Brad cheered me on as we passed each other.

Don't know... really frustrated I am not doing better on my run... well not as well as I want to be running. In my head I'm a Kenyan!
Post race
Warm down:

None, Kati and John were taking photos at the finish line and Tammy had arrived at the race. Waited for Wilson and Brad to come in. Had some Gatorade and chocolate milk and a banana, waited for results and the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I suck at running.

Event comments:

I was really disappointed in the weather, wasn't happy with my swim time, but the rest was okay. Really enjoyed racing with Wilson and Brad! Beautiful race venue, wish I lived closer, I would want to do this one again. Once again, I came in second because of the run. I beat the 1st place girl in EVERYTHING but the run.

Last updated: 2011-03-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:34 | 547 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 165/442
Performance: Average
Suit: 2 piece tri suit
Course: Swim straight out, make a right turn, swim parallel to the shore, another right turn and swim into the shore. Time includes a short run from the water to the timing mats. Time trial start, a swimmer every 2 seconds.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:25 | 10 miles | 17.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 237/442
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back, curvy roads with some hills. Beautiful scenery within the park.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:30:47 | 03 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 384/442
Performance: Average
Course: Uphill right out of transition, then flat out and back through the park on pavement.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-20 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series

2011-06-22 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3558112

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series
Way to go!  I know you are disappointed with your run, but as someone that has read lots and lots of your older race reports - look how far you have come!  You are an inspiration and always enjoy reading your reports.  Congrats on getting 2nd!!
2011-06-23 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3558112

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Subject: RE: Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series
The only thing you suck at is giving yourself a break.  You did great, especially in those conditions!  Congrats on the podium and surviving the weekend with Wilson!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series Rss Feed