AA SPORTS, LTD.
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 11s
Overall Rank = 24/34
Age Group = Masters
Age Group Rank = 13/18
Pre-race routine:

Stopped by the store on Saturday and picked up some Rock Stars and Chock Blocks. I had a Breakfast Burrito from McDonalds two hours before the race. I took about 800mg of Ibuprofen prior to the race start.
Event warmup:

I started drinking Rocks Star and Gatorade before the race. I setup the Transition Area and did some light jogging and stretching. I especially worked on my calves.
Run
  • 25m 28s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I was 24 of 34 on the first run leg with 8:15’s. While this was my target time I need to get faster. I also was starting to slow down a bit by the time I got to T1.
What would you do differently?:

I need to start some good old fashion speed workouts. Intervals, fartleks and maybe some hills.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

Because of flooding in the park the Transition area was significantly further from the bike mount than it is on a normal year. My T1 time was 3:20 which was about 10 seconds faster than the other Masters athletes I finished around. So while it was a good transition I need to get faster.

While I was not fumbling I could get faster in the 1st transition by leaving the shoes on my bike and running in my socks. Something to try at a park
Bike
  • 1h 12m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.55 mile/hr
Comments:

I was very happy with my ride. I had hoped to average 19 to 20 mph and ended up averaging 20.5. Because of this I was able to him my race goal time even though my second run leg fell off a little bit. While some riders passed me quite quickly, I easily picked off more riders on the bike than the run.

For where I am finishing in my age group my transition times and bike leg are my most solid. Any significant gains will be running. I am happy with my bike training and with the weather getting nicer I intend to get out off the trainer and ride some more outside. Hopefully I will feel more comfortable since my hamstrings were sore by the end of the ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

The same transition area was used as T1 making the Mount\Unmount line a good distance away from the bike racks. It seems like I ran forever. I did sit down to change shoes. My T2 was about 15 seconds faster that the other Masters athletes I finished around.

While I was not fumbling I could get faster in the 2nd transition by leaving the shoes on my bike and running in my socks. Something to try at a park.
Run
  • 59m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I had planned to run 9:10’s so the 9:30’s were an unpleasant surprise. However the start of the 2nd run leg was horrible and It took about two miles to loosen up the legs.

I was surprised when I finally started to feel better and get back to run 9:30's by the end of the leg. The mile markers were about where I expected them to be and the while uncomfortable the run did pass quickly enough.

The first bike leg I was 24 of 34 the second bike leg I dropped to 30 of 34. I need to get faster over all and I need to have a faster bike leg. I dropped 6 positions between the first and 2nd run. To get faster I need to add some speed workouts and to not drop so much time in the run I need to add some brick workouts. I guess I should be happy since I am 8 weeks out from knee. And while I am showing progress running has become an issue over the bike which is surprising because not so long ago the issue was slower bike splits. I may take some time away from by bike workouts and apply them to my running to even out my splits.
Post race
Warm down:

None per say. I found some water and some shade and did some light stretching.

Event comments:

I had initially registered for the Triathlon and not the Duathlon. A couple of weeks before the race someone close passed away. I was having troubles getting the time to get out to the lake. I could not find out what the water temperature was going to be so I switched to the Duathlon thinking it would be better to be safe than sorry. Of course the water temperature was fine and I was kicking myself for not switching. But I had a great race and plan on doing an Olympic Triathlon in the near future.

Last updated: 2011-05-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:28 | 03.1 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/18
Overall: 26/34
Performance: Average
Course: The course was the first and last quarter of the 10K run course with the turnaround at about 1.5 miles. There were two aid stations serving water on the course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 03:20
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
01:12:33 | 24.85 miles | 20.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/18
Overall: 17/34
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The course was two different out and back loops. The course ran east and west along Marine Drive. There was very little wind and the roads were level. The sections that were not closed to traffic have very little traffic on them.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:59:10 | 06.21 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/18
Overall: 30/34
Performance: Average
Course: The 2nd run segment was the same as the first run leg except it went out to the 5K mark for the turn around. It was flat within Blue Lake Park with a couple of small bumps on the Marine Drive bike path. There were four Aid stations with water on the Olympic course. All the Mile markers were clearly marked.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes