General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Finishers: Lets talk post-T2 psychology Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-06-21 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3560636

Master
, California
Subject: RE: IM Finishers: Lets talk post-T2 psychology
I'm ready to be out of the saddle at the 80 mile point.  Every mile on the bike after that just makes me more excited about running.

2011-06-21 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3561187

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Personally, getting off the bike is a relief.  First, I'm tired of riding and getting on my feet feels good!  Second, I'm almost positive that I'm going to finish and be an ironman/repeat ironman.  You eliminate the chance for a mechanical issue or crash.  Now it's simply just a matter of covering that 26.2!  If it's either run/jog/walk.

I think of all the positives of the run.  Aid stations every mile with their wonderful buffet of food/drinks and the cheers.  The bike can be pretty lonely, but the run there is plenty of distractions!

2011-06-21 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3560946

User image

Veteran
Ironman Arizona via Surf City, USA
Rogillio - 2011-06-21 3:27 PM

When you come out of T2 think about running 1 mile....making it to the first aid station.  Try to imagine what food and drink they have and what you will eat/drink when you get there.  If the idea of 'running a marathon' gets in your head, dismiss the thought and think that your task at hand is running 1 mile.  You will deal with what happens after that later. 

i was just about the same...  I was so happy to get off the bike as my a$$ started hurting at about mile 85..  I don't know what your goals are; mine was just to finish as I had a cold during IMAZ in 2009, and it really hit me on the run..  I took it very easy coming out of the changing tent and took that first 10-15 mins to drink an EAS Advantage..  I used these all day...  I, too looked to break the race into 1 mile chunks and started slow to get my legs going and set my breathing..  I used the run/walk method to start, then as the night wore on, walk 3 light posts, run 3, walk 3, etc... I never got bored or worried about the miles, and with the IMAZ course being 3 loops of the run, I made it a point to concentrate on "Ironman Mike" Reilly's voice as it boomed across the lake ".so-and-so, you are an IRONMAN!"...  I just kept telling myself and a few times out loud, "Mike, I'll see you soon"...

You will hurt; that is expected as it won't be easy.. But the feeling you have coming down that finisher's chute and the chance to high-five Ironman Mike, is something you have to experience..

Good Luck..... and "Stay Hard - Mack Bolan"

Lori

Edited by TriBabe2006 2011-06-21 9:06 PM
2011-06-21 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3560636

User image

Veteran
Keller, TX

As I have only completed at HIM, I can say the same.  I was ecstatic to get off the bike.  I was a swimmer first so in many of my races I tend to push hard on the swim and be up front.  Unfortunately my passion for the bike is not where it needs to be so I dread as many pass me as I struggle on the bike.  Getting to T2 in one piece is a great feeling for me.  My only take on the run is like what many others have stated.  I have learned to run the race in pieces.  Thinking about the race in a whole is mentally draining.  I know when I finished Galveston HIM I was just as mentally drained as I was physically.  I always tell people I felt like I just took a calculus exam when I finished.  I think breaking the race (especially the run) into pieces is great advice.

Fortunately I am one of the few lucky ones who will get to experience Kona this October by getting in through the lottery.  My training is heavily weighted on the bike and I am drastically improving.  Watching all these YouTube videos of the Kona run course scare the crap out of me but if I get into T2 and get o nthat run, you will have to drag me off that course before I do not finish.

Congrats and good luck on your goals! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Finishers: Lets talk post-T2 psychology Rss Feed  

of 2