General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BWI Loop frustration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-24 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: BWI Loop frustration
OK everyone, I just want to take some time and vent my frustration a little bit. Last night I took my girlfriend and her brand new bike on a bike ride. We went to the BWI loop since it was a good distance (11miles), paved, no vehicle traffic, etc. We parked at the BWI observation tower and saw numerous bikers. We got on our bikes and hit the trail. The first few miles were great! but then we started to get confused with all the different signs for the bike trail and all the different paths. We were not sure which one to take and we thought we were following the loop and we ended up at the BWI airport parking garage where the trail ended. At this time, we did not know where we were or how to get back onto the trail. Long story short, we ended up just having to double back because it was getting dark. Now I consider myself a pretty smart person and she is much smarter then me but neither of us could figure this out. I would like to attribute the problem to the lack of signs and or markings on the trail but maybe its just our inexperience riding there. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem or experienced the same thing? Any tips or pointers for when we try again? Also, its a little off topic but that observation area off Dorsey RD is pretty cool. Seeing the planes that low reminded me of the scene in Waynes World lol

2011-06-24 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3565450

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Subject: RE: BWI Loop frustration

That stinks.

I'm a frequent user of the trail so I can't really relate. Once you do get it figured out it's a nice trail for casual biking and running. You get some good views of the airport, cross through a horse farm and may even see an emu.

From your post I gather that you made a right towards the airport (across rt170) instead of a left at the fork after going over the 195 bridge (which is no joke). The left would have taken you to Elkridge Landing Rd and then into Linthicum. There is another hill before the horse farm. The top of that hill give you a great view of the airport.

After the horse farm you go by a Lindale Middle school, cross over the light rail tracks andcome back out on 170 again. You run along 170 towards Dorsey road passing some business park, Los Portales (mmmmm) and the State Police barrack.

Cross over Dorsey go up a little hill and make a right back onto the path which goes behind the driving range on Dorsey Rd and brings you back out to the Overlook Park.

Give it another try. You won't be disappointed.

2011-06-24 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3565524

User image

Master
University Park, MD
SCamp07 - 2011-06-24 10:57 AM

Give it another try. You won't be disappointed.

x2.

I got a bit confused the first time I was up there (in my case it was around the Amtrak station), but now it's a trail that I really look forward to on my long rides.

2011-06-24 3:26 PM

User image

Catonsville
I love this loop!  I could ride it all day if I had the time.  Steve is right.  It appears that you made a right instead of a left after going over 195.  Try it again.  The first few miles are great but so are the last few.  Once you ride the entire loop you will be hooked.  I enjoy riding the loop very early in the morning when there is very little traffic.  Good Luck!
2011-06-24 10:17 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Happened to me once or twice on that trail that I ended up on the airport property or by the garage. Give it another try when you have more daylight and can afford to do some back tracking and you'll figure it out. Or, go to Google Maps and the satellite view and you can map it out and get a better feel for the trail. Most of the trail shows up on the satellite imagery.
2011-06-27 9:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodstock, MD
If it makes you feel any better, I got lost yesterday too. No one to blame but myself - I just flat-out missed my turn, added another 6 miles and 2 large hills to my ride.

2011-06-30 8:59 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for helping me out finding my way. I went back today with the directions you all provided and made it around the whole loop without getting lost! it was a great ride and I loved biking up that hill and over looking the airport.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BWI Loop frustration Rss Feed