General Discussion Race Reports! » Whiteface Mountain Uphill Bike Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Whiteface Mountain Uphill Bike Race - CycleRoad Race

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, New York
United States
Whiteface Mountain Regional Visitors Bureau
N/AF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 186/219
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Race was late in the day. At 5:30PM. They waited til the auto road up the mountain was closed for the day. I ate good meals thru out the day. Waiting all day was the hardest part!
Event warmup:

Took a 5 mile hilly warmup with the hubby. Stretched out on the lawn before my wave
Bike
  • 1h 27m 9s
  • 8 miles
  • 5.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I started off in the first wave which was the women, the tandems and the unicycles! I started off pretty good but then my HR got pegged at 185 and by mile 2 I had to stop for a one minute rest to get the HR more manageable. In my training I always used a bigger gear so that I had something to gear down to when things got hard but in the race I used the lowest gear and had nowhere else to go! I had to stop again at mile 4 and at mile 6. I was using my cyclocross set-up which means I had on my flexible shoes and by 6.5 miles I began to get a hot spot under the pedal. So I alternated clipping out each foot and pedalling a little further back on the foot to give that spot a rest. At mile 7 the parking lot at the top of the mountains started. I wanted to rest again but now people were cheering so I couldn't disappoint. So i just kept going. Everything hurt at this point! Finally I saw the finish line...YAY! But then I just kept going after. It was like I couldn't get off the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Get on longer hills to train although I am pretty happy with my first uphill race. I didn't DNF and I wasn't dead last!
Post race
Warm down:

Michael found me and i stopped and I got off the bike and leaned hard on it for support. My ever loving husband tried to help me by taking the bike to put it on the car. I just crumpled to the ground! I had no strength left! He gave me the bike back and I made it over to the wall to sit. Then I ate my turkey sandwich and banana

What limited your ability to perform faster:

overall strength.

Event comments:

There were no aid stations nor volunteers out on the course. None needed. This was a great race and I might do it again next year. It taught me a lot about myself. It taught me that I am not ready to do Mt Washington at a 12% grade with 22% at the top. Not for a $300 entry fee anyway

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-02-11 12:00 AM
Biking
01:27:09 | 08 miles | 5.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 189/219
Performance: Average
HR was pegged at 185
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 8% grade for 8 miles. 3500 feet of climbing
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: