General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Supplements for Endurance training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-26 10:02 AM

User image

Shorewood
Subject: Supplements for Endurance training
I have a friend that sent me some new supplements to try out. I really haven't taken supplements in the past besides the standard $20 tub of protein. He's going to market right now with these and they have a special endurance pack. THey want to market athlete's not really the general public. (You won't see this stuff at Walmart or GNC) These were developed by Randy Couture the famous UFC fighter. I figure with all of the training he's done and fighting well into his 40's he must know something about this stuff. Anyways, I'm trying it out for 30 days and will post results on how it's working. This got me to thinking, I'm curious how many Triathlete's out there are taking supplements besides your avg. $19.99 tub of protein from GNC or Walmart. I just don't feel good putting something that complex into my body from a mass retail chain. You only get 1 body and putting the generic's in it when your spending all of this time trying to improve it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. We go out and spend Thousands on equipment to make us faster but when it comes to our own body(the most important equipment) we seem to think that $19.99 tub of protein will do just fine. I have no financial gain here and I'm not trying to sell anything, just helping a good friend out and trying to learn more about this incredible piece of machinery god gave us.

2011-06-26 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3567643

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Supplements for Endurance training
I use nothing.  Not even a $19.99 tub of protein.  Eat a balanced diet and the average triathlete likely doesn't need much, if any, supplementation.  Waste of money, IMO.
2011-06-26 2:11 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina
x2 on the balanced diet but I do take a multi vitamin to make sure I'm getting all of major vitamins/minerals
2011-06-26 2:15 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

A balanced diet is the best answer.  I take a Multi vitamin just as insurance and because I like seeing florescent urine.

However,  I also take CoQ10, fish oil, Zinc/Magnesium/Calcium and EFS Optygen.  The CoQ10 is supposed to be good for heart health, and since heart disease runs in my family, I figure it's a smart move.  Same with Fish Oil.  I feel like the Optygen helps, but I don't use it year round.  The Z/M/C I take before bed.  Who knows if it helps. 

It may all be a waste of money, but I don't mind wasting most of it if even one or two are helping. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Supplements for Endurance training Rss Feed