General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Training- Treadmill Workouts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-28 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Keller, TX
Subject: Ironman Training- Treadmill Workouts?

I have about  1hr to jump on a treadmill during the weekday for lunch at the gym and I am looking to see if anyone has any good workouts they use on treadmills relating to Ironman distance training? Training for Kona I am trying to squeeze in enough workouts when I can with my busy schedule so I felt the treadmill would be quick and efficient.  I have basically just been running at a Zone 2 pace for 45-min to 1-hr and maybe doing small 30 sec to 1-min intervals in Zone 3 3 or 4 times during the session.  Nothing fancy.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks 

2011-06-28 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3570968

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Ironman Training- Treadmill Workouts?

I have trained for a spring marathon almost exclusively on a treadmill.  Since I live in a suburb of Cleveland, OH the weather pretty much sucks in the spring and it's difficult to get out.  The only problem I had is that I like to run at a 2.0 incline all the time and it caused me to get a mild case of "jumpers knee".  That was running about 40 or miles a week.

I did go to back to the road for a month before I actually ran the marathon and I was just as fast or faster than I was on the treadmill.

2011-06-28 11:43 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Since there is nothing fancy about IM trianing, sounds like you are doing fine.  Easy running should be the bulk of your mileage.

If you have a solid running background, and can handle it in the context of your other tri training, you might use the treadmill for a tempo workout once a week or once every couple weeks.  Warm-up, 15-40min of 10k-HM pace, cool-down.  Again, nothing fancy. 

2011-06-28 1:31 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I have a favorite treadmill workout that I have always wanted to share.

I call this boiling the frog after the saying that if your throw a frog in boiling water it will jump right out but if you gradually heat up the water you can "boil the frog"

Treadmill at warmup pace and turn up the speed 0.1 MPH every minute. I usually start at 7 MPH and so by 15 minutes of my workout I am moving right along at 8.5 MPH. It is amazing how relatively easy this feels because I have so gradually increased the speed. I have effectively, "boiled the frog." I have done this all of the way to 10 MPH trying to hang on. It is a crazy good workout. Another alternative would be to get to 8.5 MPH and then stay at that pace and increase the % incline by 1 % every minute.

If I am having trouble maintaining my pace or just need a break I will turn the treadmill down to 8 MPH and 1% (it is amazing how easy this can feel after running along at 8.5 and 6% incline) and then start over again.

This keeps the workout interesting and injects some pace into my treadmill workouts. I am always trying to find ways to make the treadmilll interesting.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Training- Treadmill Workouts? Rss Feed