General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Introduce Yourself! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2011-06-28 11:02 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: Introduce Yourself!
Hey all - There seems to be loads of new people both posting and lurking in the MN forum and I thought it'd be great to get to know everyone a little. I'll start the ball rolling:

Name - Sarah
Years doing triathlon - 3
Favorite Tri Race - Liberty Olympic
Home - Minneapolis, I live very close to lake nokomis and do most of my training in the south Minneapolis area. I am originally from the east coast. Moved from Delaware to Minnesota 7 years ago.
Other interesting Facts - I love running around the chain of lakes, river road and Minnehaha parkway. I've got a 6 month old, Grace, who I am often pushing around in a jogging stroller now

2011-06-28 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3570990

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Introduce Yourself!
Thanks for doing this, Sarah!  Here's me:

Name - Emily

Years doing triathlon - I had to look. I did my first du in September of 2006.  Holy cats!

Favorite Tri Race - Burrito Union in Superior, Wi.  I am going to participate for the fourth year this September, in a new category (my 3rd).   Please do this race once in your life!

Home - Hopkins, conveniently located to the Cedar Lake Trail.  We had no idea when we (husband and I) bought the house, but became avid bikers about a year later and just kick ourselves for being so smart to live in Hopkins.  I am a Minnesota girl and have lived here my whole life, apart from one year in Kentucky when I was a kid.   I grew up in Rochester.

Other interesting Facts - I am a BT junkie.  I like to travel to do running races in the off season.  Heck,  I love to travel in general!  I found a love for winter biking this past year, which was convenient due to the snow fall being incredible.  My husband and I have a habit of making fools of ourselves on vacation and taking pictures of it.

(In Lachan, Switzerland.  That country is obsessed with wieners!)
2011-06-28 11:29 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Name:  Eric

Years Tri’ing:  23 if you go back to my first in 1988, recent history since Aug 2008.

Favorite Tri race:  Lakes Country Sprint in Baxter/Brainerd as we have a cabin up there.

Home:  Minnetonka

California native, but transplant here since 1985, so almost a local.  Lifelong runner who used to be fast, now it is my worst event in Triathlon.  Trying to run more frequently to avoid injury and get my times back down.  it seems to be slowly working...  Still, I am a better golfer than endurance athlete! 

Two teenagers, a dog and a busy wife compete for my free time.

2011-06-28 11:33 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-06-28 11:54 AM

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota

Okay.  I'll Bite.

Name - Eric

Years doing Tris - 3

Favorite Race(s) - Local: Chaska Tri, Non-Local: IMWI

Home: New Hope - I love running the trails around Medicine Lake and biking 'Out West' in Medina, Independence, Long Lake and around Lake Minnetonka.

Other Interesting Facts:  My wife is doing the Irongirl this September.  So, that's kinda cool.  I swam in middle school, ran cross-country in high school and biked through college, but never put them all together until a few years ago. 

Favorite Food: Sausage McMuffin with Egg

Best. Breakfast. Ever.

2011-06-28 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3571102

Veteran
Minneapolis, MN

Good post idea!

Name - Kyle

Favorite Tri Race - not sure, St Croix Valley or Lifetime

Home - South Minneapolis - Usual run route is around Lake Hiawatha then Nokomis

Other interesting Facts - I'm a roadie turned triathlete.  I also play competitive broomball in the winter/spring

2011-06-28 12:18 PM

Veteran
Golden Valley, MN

Yeah, good idea.  This will be a popular thread.

Name - Scott

Years doing Triathlon - about 13 now.

Favorite Tri Race - Heart of the Lakes (long course)

Home - Golden Valley.  Been in MN for 14 years now.  Before that, a lot of other places.  I was a Navy brat and then served in the USCG.  Also was in the Army National Guard (part-time soldier) in TX and MN...now retired.

Other interesting facts - I work for Target in IT.  But while my friends and coworkers have advanced degrees in IT or Business, I went and got certified in Clock Repair.  Intricate, interesting, and fun stuff, and not the PFM of computer systems.

2011-06-28 12:40 PM

Hugo, MN

Fun thread! @Adrian, hold down the shift key and press Enter to single space paragraphs.

Name - Dan

Years doing triathlon - 5
Favorite Tri - Square Lake (local), IMCDA (national)
Home - Hugo, MN; I originally hail from southern California (wondering where you're from ejshowers), then to Texas for 7 years (@Adrian Austin's great, but A&M was a lot of fun too) and now MN. 
Stomping grounds - I love biking out in the Square Lake-Marine area doing hill repeats up Nason. 

2011-06-28 2:15 PM

Veteran
Minnetonka

Name - Anne

Years doing Tris - I had to look as well!  My first was in 2006 but I took the last 2 seasons off and am now starting over.  The swim is the achilles tendon for me - but I vow to work on that this year.

Favorite Race(s) - Brewhouse but really because it was my first and I had such a great time doing it! 

Home: Minnetonka, born and raised with a short 3 years in Chicagoland area in the 80's and then for 3 nights in 1992 (long story, short version is I moved there on a Sunday and moved back on a Wednesday - hated the job I took and missed MN).  I typically I run the lakes, or at least start at them and go from there. 

Other Interesting Facts:  I've done 2 marathons; Grandma's and San Francisco Nike Women's Full.  I have tried out for the t.v. show The Amazing Race 3 times (still haven't been called!).  I used to fake injuries in Phy Ed in High School to get out of running track.  I am a single mom of a 13 year old son - who is also into tri's.

2011-06-28 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3571058

Veteran
Minnetonka
FoggyGoggles - 2011-06-28 11:33 AM

Great idea Sarah!

Name - Adrian

Home - Chaska - However I am originally from Austin, TX and have been living here for 6 years.

1st year of triathlons for me! So far I don't have a favorite race, but I am addicted to the sport!

Other Interesting Facts - I was a professional and collegiate bull rider, served 6 years in the Navy, have a 2 year-old future triathlete little boy and I can't figure out how to not double space my paragraphs in BT.

I didn't even know collegiate bull riding existed Smile

2011-06-28 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3571178

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
silentcs42 - 2011-06-28 12:40 PM

Fun thread! @Adrian, hold down the shift key and press Enter to single space paragraphs.

Name - Dan

Years doing triathlon - 5
Favorite Tri - Square Lake (local), IMCDA (national)
Home - Hugo, MN; I originally hail from southern California (wondering where you're from ejshowers), then to Texas for 7 years (@Adrian Austin's great, but A&M was a lot of fun too) and now MN. 
Stomping grounds - I love biking out in the Square Lake-Marine area doing hill repeats up Nason. 

I grew up in Fresno, CA.  Growing up, I played golf and soccer and ran cross country and track starting in 7th grade, so have basically been running/endurance sports since I was 12.  I went to college in the Bay Area in CA and moved here right after graduating.  My wife, who I met in college, is from Hopkins, MN originally, so that and a job was the connection to MN.

2011-06-28 4:26 PM

Master
, Minnesota

Name - Jeff

This is my 6th season of tri's. 

Favorite Tri Race - My last one.  They all are pretty fun - with the exception of Moo '08.

Home - White Bear Lake.  I too like to ride the NE metro area including the square lake, Marine hills.

Other Facts:  I started out as a distance runner (10 marathons) in my 'early 40's and jumped into tri's in the fall of 2005 when some friends encouraged me to xtrain with them.  I'm an independent IT contractor and my main hobbies involve pyrotechnics and heading to Vegas to play craps.  Currently training for IM AZ in Nov.

2011-06-28 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3571424

Regular
Apple Valley

Name: Karl

Years doing triathlon:

Favorite Tri Race
: Of the two that I've raced - liked Waseca the best.

Home: Apple Valley - Moved from Michigan to Minnesota in 2001.
(I'm from the Lower Pennisula of Michigan - Yes, I show people where I'm from by
pointing to the palm of my right hand.
Usually bike and run around A.V. during the week, but often do my longer Sat runs around the Mississippi on the river road.

Storytime with Karl: I've Spectated/cheered for friends at many events, and some 5 Marathons for my Wife. Was never a runner, but joined her running group last year and now find myself training full force!   *Zip-Pow*
Currently doing the BT "16 week Sprint Tri Training" program and spending some much needed time in the pool. Also added the Hal Higdon running program to prep for Twin Cities Marathon!
(My 1st)

Other interesting Facts:

I'm a giant.. (so it's harder to find gear, play "hide-'n-seek", or use public transit),
National Snowboard Champion, Day job as Artist/3D Animator, oh and I can whistle!

Edited by scuff 2011-06-28 5:16 PM
2011-06-28 6:07 PM

Minneapolis, MN

Name : Pete

started doing tri's last year at lifetime.  was not in shape and had to walk a lot of the run (Oly)  Got very mad at my performance so have been obsessed ever since.  SO technically coming up on a year, now.

I swam at a div I school in college, but that was a very long time ago. 

Favorite race is St Croix river valley OLY. (hudson Wi

I have lived all over the midwest. Moved to Mpls in '98.  Live in south minneapolis, so run around any of the lakes.  shorter rides and intervals on cedar lake trail. Long rides I head out to Marine on st Croix. 

I am doing the full TNT season in and attempt to get my bike speed up.

And i drive a truck for Coca-Cola, for a living.

2011-06-28 6:12 PM

St. Paul

Name: Mary

Years doing triathlon:
- 0 ... well I just did my very first - My First Tri in Hudson last weekend!

Favorite Tri Race
: well, i guess since I've only done one, I'll say My First Tri! I'm also signed up for the YWCA Women's Tri at Nokomis in August.

Home: I live in Saint Paul - macGroveland neighbor, and have a cabin in Western Wisconsin (about 30 min north of Menomonie).

Other interesting Facts:I'm also originally from California (funny - it used to be the joke that all the californians were transplanted Minnesotans, but now it looks like a lot of MN triathletes are transplanted californians - go figure!. I grew up in Costa Mesa - in case anyone knows where that is and graduated from UC Irvine. Spent 4 years in Wyoming (Grand Teton National Park) and then came here. It was that awful hot summer '86 I think?

I have 2 dogs - wire haired pointing griffons, no kids. A husband that cooks like a dream *(he is even publishing a cookbook this September on local and wild foods), and writes like a poet. He's very talented and super supportive.

I love this website - for a complete newbie that came to this sport with excessive trepidation or more precisely terror - it's been so fantastic. I decided to do a triathlon as a midlife crisis (I turned 50 last December).

2011-06-28 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3571844

Hugo, MN

Costa Mesa is a beautiful city.  I love that whole area. 

I hail from Torrance, but moved to Riverside in my late teens. Went to Cal State San Bernardino and then to Texas A&M for grad school.

2011-06-28 9:32 PM

Name - Monique
Years doing triathlon - 3
Favorite Tri Race -  Lakefront Days Sprint
Home - Shoreview. I spend a lot of time riding in Lino Lakes and Hugo. I do like to head toward the Chain of Lakes for mid-distance runs on the weekends. My favorite is to do point to point runs for anything over 10 miles.
Other interesting Facts -  I learned to play hockey as an adult thus there are two season in Minnesota tri season and hockey season.

2011-06-28 9:36 PM

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

Name - Pattie 
Years doing triathlon - 6 (carp, I should be faster by now)
Favorite Tri Race - Waseca 1/3 Iron distance
Home - West Concord. What, never heard of it? We're about 30 min NW of Rochester. Moved here from MD/DE back in 2006.
Other interesting Facts - I live on a 28 acre hobby farm with my three retired horses. I'm also a HS English teacher (9th grade) and love my job.

Here's a pic.

2011-06-28 10:40 PM

Name - Wyn
Years doing triathlon - 0 - did the YWCA Indoor Tri in April, am doing the women's tri in August...
Favorite Tri Race - Any one I finish, at this point!

Home - Minneapolis, Near Lake Nokomis. I'm a transplant, also from the palm of the mitten... (MI) but have been here 15 years.

Other interesting Facts - Decided to start doing this because I got an email in January challenging me to do something that scared me. Since the only thing I could think of was training for a race, as I'm a very big girl, here I am. My loving chef-boyfriend shakes his head and says "Go, Honey... as long as I don't have to do it with you..." :-)

2011-06-28 10:41 PM

Master
Bloomington, MN

Sarah, really great idea!

Name - Mark
Favorite Tri Race - Liberty Half
Home - Bloomington.  I did grow up in west central Wisconsin. (I do like the Vikes though!)
Family - I have two young daughters, and have been married 18 years.  Triathlon is my mid-life crisis as I could not afford a sports car

2011-06-29 6:37 AM

Elite
Name-Bryan Years doing triathlon- 6 Favorite race- Heart of the Lakes, no hesitation. Although I can't seem to get IM MOO out of my system and really wish I could. Home- somewhere between Lakeville and New Prague. Pretty much located in "no mans land". Mostly train at Lifetime fitness in Lakeville in the winter and do a lot of riding and running on country roads south of New Prague. Other interesting facts and family- Wife Kelly is also a triathlete and runner. 15 year old daughter and 10 year old son keep us very busy as well. I work as a Dean of Students at an alternative school and Secondary Technical Center, never a dull moment there either. But does allow for extra training time in the summer. Edited to add how much I hate how the I-pad formats things. I can't get new paragraphs to stick.

Edited by mndiver 2011-06-29 6:42 AM

2011-06-29 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3571047

Pro
Twin Cities

California native, but transplant here since 1985, so almost a local.

Oh, you should have realized by now you will NEVER be a local. :p

2011-06-29 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3572280

Veteran
Golden Valley, MN

Bryan, are you the dude that I often run into (not literally) at local races (like HOL)?  And at IMMoo last year?

2011-06-29 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3572892

Elite
tribomber - 2011-06-29 11:43 AM

Bryan, are you the dude that I often run into (not literally) at local races (like HOL)?  And at IMMoo last year?

Very possible, I have been at HOLT for the last 5 years. I'm usually with a group who grills and has a few beers after the race. I usually race in my Divine Swine jersey with a pig on the front and back.
2011-06-29 4:18 PM

What a great thread! I haven't been on BT for a few days.

Name - Joyell
I'm in my third year of tris
Favorite race so far HOTL or Maple Grove

I also live in South Minneapolis (a lot of us do) do all my summer swimming in Nokomis. Born and raised in Minnesota from Stillwater originally.

My story:

I did the Iron Girl duathlon as my first multi-sport race when I turned 30 - I needed to kick myself into gear. My husband thought I was crazy and then joined me the following year. We do a lot of training together. I am scheduled for my first "long course" race this year and a bit nervous about it.

Tomorrow I will complete 30 days of running every day... being a non-runner, I'm pretty proud of that!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Introduce Yourself! Rss Feed  

of 11