in reply to: #4380106

Subject: RE: Introduce Yourself!

Hi Karl,

Thanks for all the info, I will definately check it all out!Smile

2012-09-02 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3570990

Hi, Alice:

I am a novice at this sport, too.  My first tri is coming up next weekend, Sept. 9. Like you, I have completed a number of marathons so I figure I have the running leg under control.  The bike part is what has me stressed.  I am the lease prepared for that leg.

I live and run in the Burnsville/Apple Valley area.  My long run route frequently takes me past the zoo, if that general area is close to  you.  I swim in the Masters program at Optum Performance in Eden Prairie two mornings a week and at least one solo swim at the Y.  The program is changing structure in September due to the closing of Optum Performance but will continue under the direction of the Aquajets team.  I am not a great swimmer either, but the program has 100% improved my swimming.  If  you are up for early morning swims, it is an excellent option.

Good luck!

2012-10-13 7:19 AM

User image

New user

Name - Tom

Years doing triathlon - 0 - So I went ahead and signed up for IMWI 2013. My wife is a saint.

Home - Excelsior. If any of you have info on training groups and grounds around here send it my way please.

Other interesting Facts - I grew up in Dutch Harbor, Alaska. I find it more entertaining to run when there is snow on the ground. I like ice climbing even though I'm no good at it. Ultimate Frisbee is my friend.

2012-10-13 8:01 AM
in reply to: #4452345

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
makushin - 2012-10-13 7:19 AM

Name - Tom

Years doing triathlon - 0 - So I went ahead and signed up for IMWI 2013. My wife is a saint.

Home - Excelsior. If any of you have info on training groups and grounds around here send it my way please.

Other interesting Facts - I grew up in Dutch Harbor, Alaska. I find it more entertaining to run when there is snow on the ground. I like ice climbing even though I'm no good at it. Ultimate Frisbee is my friend.

Hi Tom,

You like in a great place to train!  The beach in Excelsior is pretty good for open water swims.  Check out the Gear West Tri Club - they do a lot of training in that area.

2012-10-13 8:14 AM

User image

Tom, welcome! Do or volunteer at the Lake Minnetonka Triathlon in early June. It's right in your neighborhood. It sells out, so if you're signing up, now is the time. http://63.255.227.21/registration.htm
2012-10-13 1:05 PM

User image

Regular

Oh yeah Tom! Go for the jugular in the first year.
Don't drown is the key and you can finish it in 17 hours.

Name - Tom

2012-10-13 3:28 PM

User image

New user

Excellent. Thanks for the info. My wife would be a bit ticked at me if I drowned during the swim, so I'll try to avoid that, and yes "going for the jugular" is my style, more entertaining that way.
2012-10-13 11:23 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI

Name - Tom

Hi Tom! Welcome  

IMWI is the BEST!  Good luck on your journey! I could give away lots of free advice , but I'll just share one piece for now: get to Madison to ride the course.  Keep your eye on threads (check out the IMWI 2013 thread in Iron distance training groups) - there is usually peeps trying to meet up for rides throught the spring and summer.  Yay for a new MN tri guy!

2012-10-22 7:22 PM

User image

New user

Name - Brent

Years doing triathlon - 2

Favorite Tri Race - Optum Health Twin Cities Triathlon at Harriet Island. Awesome venue.

Home - Ramsey. Do swim training at the YMCA in Andover, which is a nice new building. Biking around Ramsey area with some decent trails with river views, but mostly neighborhood roads. Running half marathons, 10 milers, and tons of 5K races for fun with my wife. I'm totally addicted to marathons and triathlons at this point. 

Other interesting Facts - My wife and I like to do running 'dates', with a lunch destination afterwards. We love running around the Mpls lakes and the Greenway when possible. We have 2 kids in elementary school ages. I also like old and new Corvettes and boating Lake Minnetonka.

2012-10-23 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4464401

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
MnBrent - 2012-10-22 7:22 PM

Name - Brent

Years doing triathlon - 2

Favorite Tri Race - Optum Health Twin Cities Triathlon at Harriet Island. Awesome venue.

Home - Ramsey. Do swim training at the YMCA in Andover, which is a nice new building. Biking around Ramsey area with some decent trails with river views, but mostly neighborhood roads. Running half marathons, 10 milers, and tons of 5K races for fun with my wife. I'm totally addicted to marathons and triathlons at this point. 

Other interesting Facts - My wife and I like to do running 'dates', with a lunch destination afterwards. We love running around the Mpls lakes and the Greenway when possible. We have 2 kids in elementary school ages. I also like old and new Corvettes and boating Lake Minnetonka.

Hi Brent!  Bummer the Twin Cities Tri didn't happen this year, I thought it was pretty cool too.

2012-10-30 10:05 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN

Name:  Alex

Years Doing Tri - Just finished my first season.  I did the olympic length Trinona, and the olympic length St Croix Tri as well.  Most recently, I just finished my second half marathon (Monster Dash 2012). 

Home:  Eden Prairie.  I live off of Anderson Lakes Pkwy.  Where are the good places to swim in the area?  Before this, I lived in Winona, MN.  If you're looking for places to train down there (or questions on the Trinona course), don't hesitate!

Other interesting facts:  I am looking forward to being a bicycle commuter (work in Eagan), and would enjoy discussing this with others that may have an interest.

Can't wait to get to know all of you and look forward to seeing some of you on group rides and the like!

2012-11-02 8:22 PM

Name:  Travis

Years Doing Tri - 0.  Trained for my 1st duathlon (Treadman in Pine Island, MN) this summer and I started swim lessons in OCT, so that I can do Tris next summer.

Home:  Lino Lakes.  Live right next to the great running/bike paths in Lino which are great, but wow this has to be the flattest part of the state.

Other interesting facts: 

Michigan born and raised.

Homebrewer (beer) - still can't decide if TRI training and homebrewing are the most compatible or the least compatible hobbies/interests.

Train at the YMCAs in HUDSON/WHITE BEAR LAKE/LINO LAKES

Excited to buy my 1st real bike next spring, the hybrid will be for Burley pulling only.

2012-11-03 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4476073

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
DabelDoes - 2012-10-30 10:05 PM

Name:  Alex

Years Doing Tri - Just finished my first season.  I did the olympic length Trinona, and the olympic length St Croix Tri as well.  Most recently, I just finished my second half marathon (Monster Dash 2012). 

Home:  Eden Prairie.  I live off of Anderson Lakes Pkwy.  Where are the good places to swim in the area?  Before this, I lived in Winona, MN.  If you're looking for places to train down there (or questions on the Trinona course), don't hesitate!

Other interesting facts:  I am looking forward to being a bicycle commuter (work in Eagan), and would enjoy discussing this with others that may have an interest.

Can't wait to get to know all of you and look forward to seeing some of you on group rides and the like!

Hey Alex.  I think some folks swim in Bush Lake, which might work for you. In the summer, there are usually a bunch of threads here on BT about who wants to meet where for a swim.   The easiest place to swim is Lake Nokomis and last summer they offered one night a week where you can swim across the lake without getting arrested    I hope that is offered again, it was a huge success.

2012-11-03 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4481606

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
TrBeau17 - 2012-11-02 8:22 PM

Years Doing Tri - 0.  Trained for my 1st duathlon (Treadman in Pine Island, MN) this summer and I started swim lessons in OCT, so that I can do Tris next summer.

Home:  Lino Lakes.  Live right next to the great running/bike paths in Lino which are great, but wow this has to be the flattest part of the state.

Other interesting facts: 

Homebrewer (beer) - still can't decide if TRI training and homebrewing are the most compatible or the least compatible hobbies/interests.

Excited to buy my 1st real bike next spring, the hybrid will be for Burley pulling only.

Welcome!  I know there are a bunch of triathletes in the WBL area, so hopefully some group rides will pop up and you can learn of more places to train with hills.  If you head east, in the direction of Square Lake, Stillwater, etc, you will find some great hills and beautiful roads.   I find myself driving to places to ride a lot, due to also living in a flat part of the city...

2012-11-04 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4481964

BikerGrrrl - 2012-11-03 11:33 AM
TrBeau17 - 2012-11-02 8:22 PM

Other interesting facts: 

Welcome!  I know there are a bunch of triathletes in the WBL area, so hopefully some group rides will pop up and you can learn of more places to train with hills.  If you head east, in the direction of Square Lake, Stillwater, etc, you will find some great hills and beautiful roads.   I find myself driving to places to ride a lot, due to also living in a flat part of the city...

Thanks, I do plan on just leaving my bike in the Hudson office and going for some hills repeats on my lunch break.  Lots of good hills around Hudson/Lakeland.

2012-11-05 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4481606

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Travis...

You can find lots of nice hills/rolling terrain from Lino, just stay east, instead of heading toward Blaine. I do all my riding from about Hudson up through Chisago and over to Blaine and down (hitting Shorevew, WBL, Willernie, Grant, etc etc etc). I live over by Lake Elmo (before that, I lived in Shoreview), and can find just about whatever terrain I need for the day.

If you want any good routes of a particular distance, let me know. :-)

2012-11-06 7:35 PM

Name: Jamie

Years doing Tri - 1 year, did LTF, Buffalo, Brewhouse, and Lake Marion Sprint Tris this year. Next year Olympic and Half-Iron!

Home- Eagan. I train at LTF and swim in Nokomis (even with the dead bodies), love to bike in the south metro.  Anyone looking for a training buddy, let me know.

Fun fact for me is that I am orginally from NC and never swam (learned enough to not drown) til i learned how this year.  2 kids and a job that requires traveling can make it hard to train sometimes!

2012-11-07 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4487011

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-11-12 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4487011

Welcome to BT!

I'm hoping to get out to Nokomis a few times next summer for some OWS on Tuesday nights.

Jeff

2012-11-18 11:16 AM

New user

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Well, hello there!

Name - Chase
Years doing triathlon - 0 (sort of) - I have done a couple of sprints a LONG time ago, but not competitive at all - doggy paddling, on a mountain bike, etc. First year of trying to be serious.
Favorite Tri Race -  My favorite that I have spectated is Buffalo. I expect that will be my first olympic tri of 2013.
Home - Uptown, Minneapolis.  One of my favorite workouts is Midtown Greenway East, River Road south, Minneahaha West North through the lakes home (about 20mi) and then brick with a run around Isles (4 miles loop from home).
Other interesting Facts -  I've been running for a couple years. Mostly marathon+ distances. Going to be doing the Ice Age 50-miler in May. Been cycling for a LONG time (mostly mountain). Started to learn how to swim, and wanted to tri. So here I am - a terrible swimmer, but hoping to make up for it by being a pretty competitive cyclist and runner.

ALWAYS looking for new training buddies - so, if you're in my area - please reach out!

2012-11-28 11:41 AM

Saint Paul, MN
Name - Josh
Years doing triathlon - 0 I have run a marathon, a bunch of 1/2s, rode a few centuries, and a double century so decided it is time to start swimming and do my first tri next year.
Favorite Tri Race - Haven't done one yet
Home - Saint Paul, close to Como Park
Other interesting Facts - I will run in any weather but am a severe weather weenie when it comes to my bike.

2012-11-28 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4513427

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

jlruhnke - 2012-11-28 11:41 AM Name - Josh
Years doing triathlon - 0 I have run a marathon, a bunch of 1/2s, rode a few centuries, and a double century so decided it is time to start swimming and do my first tri next year.
Favorite Tri Race - Haven't done one yet
Home - Saint Paul, close to Como Park
Other interesting Facts - I will run in any weather but am a severe weather weenie when it comes to my bike.

Hey Josh.  I love to run in the Como area since it's close to work. Maybe I'll see you around!

2012-11-28 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4502447

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
xywh - 2012-11-18 11:16 AM

Well, hello there!

Name - Chase
Years doing triathlon - 0 (sort of) - I have done a couple of sprints a LONG time ago, but not competitive at all - doggy paddling, on a mountain bike, etc. First year of trying to be serious.
Favorite Tri Race -  My favorite that I have spectated is Buffalo. I expect that will be my first olympic tri of 2013.
Home - Uptown, Minneapolis.  One of my favorite workouts is Midtown Greenway East, River Road south, Minneahaha West North through the lakes home (about 20mi) and then brick with a run around Isles (4 miles loop from home).
Other interesting Facts -  I've been running for a couple years. Mostly marathon+ distances. Going to be doing the Ice Age 50-miler in May. Been cycling for a LONG time (mostly mountain). Started to learn how to swim, and wanted to tri. So here I am - a terrible swimmer, but hoping to make up for it by being a pretty competitive cyclist and runner.

ALWAYS looking for new training buddies - so, if you're in my area - please reach out!

Hi Chase.   You live in a perfect area for tri training!  Have you taken swimming lessons?  Let us know if you need any referrals.  I spent a lot of time on the paths you like to run on, so I am sure we'll cross at some point.

2012-11-30 4:30 AM

New user

Hey Everyone!

My name is Tracy . I am SO NEW TO THIS, you guys are the first TRI ATHLETES I'VE EVER MET!!!!!

I am a 42 year old Construction business owner from Owatonna.  Minnesotan my whole life (so far).

Seconds doing Triathalons: 0 

I have signed up for the Liberty Half IM (I guess the actual name would be "long Course")

The only other event of ANY distance, I have done was Grandma's 2 years ago.  I will be asking a lot of questions...Have a good laugh on them! Excited to start BT's training program ... DEC 2

2012-11-30 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4515883

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
tkmully - 2012-11-30 4:30 AM

Hey Everyone!

My name is Tracy . I am SO NEW TO THIS, you guys are the first TRI ATHLETES I'VE EVER MET!!!!!

I am a 42 year old Construction business owner from Owatonna.  Minnesotan my whole life (so far).

Seconds doing Triathalons: 0 

I have signed up for the Liberty Half IM (I guess the actual name would be "long Course")

The only other event of ANY distance, I have done was Grandma's 2 years ago.  I will be asking a lot of questions...Have a good laugh on them! Excited to start BT's training program ... DEC 2

Welcome Tracy!

Wow, 0 to half iron in 6 months!!!   And an early season one at that!   Will you be able to get in one triathlon before that just to go through the motions of racing?  I highly recommend you consider doing the Land Between the Lakes Triathlon in Albert Lea in May.  It's cold, but you will appreciate the lake swim practice.    You are a brave woman.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Introduce Yourself! Rss Feed  

of 11