United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 20m 24s
Overall Rank = 145/165
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Bananas, coffee, water. Sometimes real breakfast sandwich type of thing if I think I'll have time to digest it. Today that included the sandwich. Drive to the race site from the hotel. ON TIME FOR ONCE! YAY
Swim
  • 34m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

A little slow for me. Off course as usual. Lost my goggles jumping in for the start. No time to double back, but swimming w/o the goggles was NOT the reason I was off course. I just always am. Legs felt weird and heavy and slow. Yes in the swim. Not sure what was going on.
What would you do differently?:

Not lose my goggles. Stay on course.
Transition 1
  • 04m 19s
Comments:

I NEED TRI SHORTS. Changing my cloths in each transition is sucking up TONS of time. And to remember to pack towels. Changing cloths might not have been so much of a struggle if I'd had a towel to dry off w/.

Just get the tri shorts, and a race belt. Really this is slow, but about average for me. Just tons of room for improvement here.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 36s
  • 25 miles
  • 17.52 mile/hr
Comments:

I need to actually bike before races. Even just a litte. Now that my office has moved I need to actually get on bike commuting the way that I said I would.

Train more for the bike. It's about average for me, but again tons of room for improvement here. Drink more water.
Transition 2
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

WIPE OUT. the usual unclip right/lean left right at the line. Seems if I manage to screw up any MORE of these tiny little details they'll be forcibly moving me to the novice category even though it's not my frist race.

Not wipe out, get tri shorts.
Run
  • 1h 12m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Trained the run all winter, even ran a half marathon. Granted I dropped off a LOT of running when I added swimming; but something was wrong here. By the end I had stopped sweating, was cold, and had goosebumps. Started off about normal for me, which is ALWAYS slow the 1st mile. Then instead of picking it up, I fell even slower for mi 2&3. Then it started to fall apart even worse after that. The final mile was even walk/run.

Drink more on the bike. Be more diligent 2-3 days ahead of time. I was good the day before, but had been dehydrated most of the week. I guess you really can't catch up!
Post race
Warm down:

Found shade and water. Drank regular sugar gatorade and a regular coke. After finishing the water and sitting in the shade I finally felt better after about 10 min. I had even had some sick to my stomach feeling I haven't gotten running since I first started!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dehydrated I think, but hard to believe it was THAT much of a factor. I drank at every water stop, and carried a 500ml bottle w/ me for between stops.

Event comments:

Setup does great races! My problems were of my own making (forgetting stuff, losing stuff, whatever was going on w/ that run). The course was well marked, and mostly as advertised. I even heard AFTER the race that a bunch of volunteers hadn't showed up, but it NEVER affected the race. I didn't notice anything off while racing.

Last updated: 2011-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:36 | 1500 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 37/4
Overall: 0/165
Performance: Below average
Suit: speedo
Course: an irregular square. 2 laps. Completely within a protected Harbor. They could use bigger buoys. The way they strapped at least one corner buoy to a channel marker it made it a bit hard to find.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:25:36 | 25 miles | 17.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 50/4
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 laps out on some really nice deserted roads, but they weren't closed. Plenty of volunteers, cops to hold traffic though. a few hills, which weren't bad, but unexpected given that they advertised the course as pancake flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:12:59 | 06.21 miles | 11m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Performance: Bad
Course: flat as promised! again 2 laps (they had a sprint on Sun, so same course). Course passed a beach about the second mile. I was dehydrated/hot/sunburned from not drinking enough on the bike or the days before and REALLY wanted to jump in the water. Course went up to the end of some roads to double back a SHORT distance before a turn, seemed a bit like they were scraping a bit to come up w/ the distance.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes