General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Padden Triathlon - Competitive Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Padden Triathlon - Competitive Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bellingham, Washington
United States
City of Bellingham Parks & Rec.
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 22m 46s
Overall Rank = 171/256
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/26
Pre-race routine:

I had a small bowl of oatmeal and a banana a couple hours before race time. Topped that off with about a half a can of Rockstar.
I picked out a cozy spot for my transition area and got comfy and set up.
Event warmup:

About 30 minutes before gun time, I pulled on the wet suit and swam a couple hundred yards to warm up the muscles. Once I got past the initial "brain freeze," frozen face, & numb hands & feet I was good to go! Oh, did I mention the lake was a little cool?
Swim
  • 13h 40m
  • 800 yards
  • 1h 42m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the second time I've ever raced at this distance. The last time was not so good. I'm glad they start this race in waves of 50-ish people, it gives you a little elbow room. I started out 4 people in from the inside. After the first 100 yards I started running into traffic from both sides and that kept up all the way to the bouy. About 50 yards from the bouy there was a shot at some open water so I turned up the gas.
Once around the bouy the mass of the swimmers sort of veered off to the left. Well, the swim finish was to the right. So I had another shot at open water and took the opportunity to focus on distance per stroke and picked up the pace. So far that's my fastest 1/2 mi. I'm happy with it since I just started swimming last year.
Oh yeah, this was the first race with my new wetsuit! It works great & very comfortable! I'm glad I swam a few times with it and got it broken in!
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Go faster!
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

Ok, my transition times need work. I just started using clipless pedals/shoes so it was a bit awkward. I put the shoes on before getting on the bike so running to the mounting line with clips on your shoes is a little strange.
Note to anyone who might do this race later: Don't get on your bike until you get to the top of the hill at the road. I ran by one guy who was clipping in at the bottom of the hill and fell over after he got one shoe clipped in. If you clip in right away, you're immediately fighting a fairly steep, short uphill. If you run to the top of the hill, you get to start on a down hill. Just sayin'....

Practice transtioning more. Find tips on fast T1 transitions.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 48s
  • 21 miles
  • 17.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Last year the big hill near the end of the course got me. I made it 3/4 of the way up and had to walk up the rest of the way. Not this year! I got a new bike and it worked like a dream! That hill won't be beating me ever again!

More training! Especially hills. Due to work constraints I missed nearly 6 weeks of training the month before this race. So overall I'm happy with the results.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Running with clips on your shoes is strange....

Again, more transition work.
Run
  • 51h 41m
  • 5.2 miles
  • 9h 56m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I love this course! Although, I think someone is rather sadistic having to start the run on the hilly side of the course rather than the flat side.
My first lap was not that great. My legs were fatigued from the bike so it wasn't until I got past the hills on the back side did my legs start to feel better. Once I got on to the flats I could stretch out a little bit.
The second lap around my legs felt pretty good. I picked up the pace a little and really stretched out after I hit the flat. Second lap was faster.
With lack of training due to work, & that I've never been much of a runner, I'm ok with my time.

Go faster!
Post race
Warm down:

One advantage to the lake being cool is that it felt great on the legs! I stretched a bit after I finished then soaked in the lake, cooling the fired up quads. I walked for a while until my muscles settled down. Then it was off for some snacks!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. After nearly 6 weeks off of training due to work, I had about 2 1/2 weeks to train for this one. (darn work and bills...)
Not nearly enough brick work.
Lack of transition practice.

Event comments:

The City of Bellingham Parks & Rec. Department does a great job on their races. This is one is fun and challenging.
Post race entertainment is the race director giving out the awards and door prizes. He's a funny guy and makes this race that much more fun. This is the second year I've done this race and I'll keep doing it as long as I can! It has a 300 competitor limit so if you'd like to do this one, sign up fairly early!

Last updated: 2011-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
13:40:00 | 800 yards | 1h 42m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/26
Overall: 0/256
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro
Course: This is an out and back course nearly all the way across the lake. It's a wading start and a leap over the bank and run uphill to the transition area for the finish. A good way to get the blood flowing in your legs, or crash on your face!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:48 | 21 miles | 17.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/26
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: This is a great course! It's got plenty of ups and downs and enough flats to open it up. Ya gotta love the last couple miles...it really tests your staminia.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
51:41:00 | 05.2 miles | 9h 56m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/26
Performance: Average
Course: 2 laps around the lake. The first half of the course is mostly up and down with one rather long up-hill on the first mile. The second half flattens out nicely.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-28 4:18 PM

User image

New user

north of Bellingham
Subject: Lake Padden Triathlon - Competitive Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Padden Triathlon - Competitive Course Rss Feed