General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Donner Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-03 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: Donner Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread

Luna Chix offered a women's only clinic last week and I attended.  I specifically did not sign up for the Donner tri because of the hill.  I have not climb 1000 feet previously and was concerned about the climb.  At the clinic one of the Luna Chix would not let me quit and go me up that hill with breathing techniques and a ton of encouragement.  So I went to Donner yesterday and did that hill again...I am slow but I get to Rainbow Bridge.  So now I am signing up for the Donner Lake Triathlon, well I feel I have to, I also won the entry fee at the clinic raffle. 

So who has any insight and tips on this triathlon?  The campsites are full so I am looking for lodging suggestions too.

Thanks

2011-07-04 10:18 PM
in reply to: #3579260

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Donner Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread

I've did the oly a few years ago.  That climb is quite a tough one, esp. coming straight out of T1.  I did it with a friend and she we were staying over at some cottages in lake tahoe and then drove over.  personally, I wouldn't recommend that since I usually prefer to stay close to the race start and not have to commute much to get to the race.  Any specific questions? I always find it helpful to read previous race reports to get tips and a feel for the race.  It's a nice race venue. 

2011-07-05 10:34 PM

User image

If anyone is heading to this event from the SF Bay Area and could take along a passenger (+ bike and gear) I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I signed up for this race a few weeks ago and at the time could give myself a ride. But a few days ago I had a bit of a medical emergency and now I may not be allowed to drive for a while, yet strangely I'll be OK to compete. It is sort of a long story that I'll probably post about in the Triathlon Talk forum.

Would be happy to offer gas money and attempt to be pleasant company.

2011-07-07 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3580486

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
enginerd - 2011-07-04 10:18 PM

I've did the oly a few years ago.  That climb is quite a tough one, esp. coming straight out of T1.  I did it with a friend and she we were staying over at some cottages in lake tahoe and then drove over.  personally, I wouldn't recommend that since I usually prefer to stay close to the race start and not have to commute much to get to the race.  Any specific questions? I always find it helpful to read previous race reports to get tips and a feel for the race.  It's a nice race venue. 

Thanks I will check the race reports!

2011-07-07 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3582346

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
chris_in_oakland - 2011-07-05 10:34 PM

If anyone is heading to this event from the SF Bay Area and could take along a passenger (+ bike and gear) I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I signed up for this race a few weeks ago and at the time could give myself a ride. But a few days ago I had a bit of a medical emergency and now I may not be allowed to drive for a while, yet strangely I'll be OK to compete. It is sort of a long story that I'll probably post about in the Triathlon Talk forum.

Sorry I come from the other direction...good luck on finding a ride.

2011-07-07 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3582346

User image

Master
San Francisco
chris_in_oakland - 2011-07-05 8:34 PM

Chris, you could try the yahoo mailing lists of either/both Golden Gate Tri Club or SF Tri club.  undoubtedly there will be members who will be doing the race.

2011-07-07 4:54 PM

User image

Vallejo

SportzVision I did this last year, my first oly and it was very fun.  The altitude hurt me a bit so don't know where you are coming from but be prepared just in case.  Yes the climb on the bike is a tough one but the ride back is a blast.  The run killed me and that is my strongest leg so I hope this year I save more for that.

Last year I stayed in Tahoe City and it wasn't too bad.  This year I'm going to get a room at BoomTown.  I think it will be about a 30-40 minute drive to the tri.

Congrats on winning the entry fee....see you are already a winner!

2011-07-07 5:16 PM
in reply to: #3585460

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
ldellamonica - 2011-07-07 4:54 PM

SportzVision I did this last year, my first oly and it was very fun.  The altitude hurt me a bit so don't know where you are coming from but be prepared just in case.  Yes the climb on the bike is a tough one but the ride back is a blast.  The run killed me and that is my strongest leg so I hope this year I save more for that.

Last year I stayed in Tahoe City and it wasn't too bad.  This year I'm going to get a room at BoomTown.  I think it will be about a 30-40 minute drive to the tri.

Congrats on winning the entry fee....see you are already a winner!

Thanks!  I live about 90 miles east of Donner so technically I can get there the morning of...used to the drive since I drive to Reno every day...I was hoping to get a camp site but at this late date that will be a feat in-its-self!  See you there...doing my first Oly in San Diego this year so maybe by next year I can do the Oly at Donner!  Big goals! 

Yes, Boomtown is a short drive...I may look into that too!  Thanks for the reminder!  I also have friends I could stay with, but my crew, kids and my punk and half grandson who is two, may be in town.  We'll see what works out...thank you for the support and good luck to you in your race and drive...be safe!

2011-07-07 5:31 PM

User image

Vallejo
Ooooh I'm doing an oly in SD also.  Are you doing the Classic in September? 
2011-07-07 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3585519

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

ldellamonica - 2011-07-07 5:31 PM Ooooh I'm doing an oly in SD also.  Are you doing the Classic in September? 

TriRock on 9/11/11....is that the same?

2011-07-07 5:43 PM

User image

Vallejo

No it's on the 17th.  Here is the link.  I will check out the tri rock one too though because I haven't registered for the Classic.  Just want to do one down there this year and combo it up with a mini vacation with my kid.

http://momentcyclesport.com/articles/event-information-pg317.htm

Hope I see you at Donner!

2011-07-10 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3585531

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
The Classic looks really nice...tough choice for you!  Yes, I will see you at Donner Lake...look for me still going up the hill when others are finished! ha ha! 
2011-07-11 4:44 PM

User image

Vallejo

The Classic looks really nice...tough choice for you!  Yes, I will see you at Donner Lake...look for me still going up the hill when others are finished! ha ha! 

You are going to do great I know it.  I also know how you feel.  I signed up for the oly when I really shouldn't have.  Oh well I just want to finish and know I'm not going to beat my time last year not that it was all that terrific.  Hope to see you there and post your race report and I will do the same.  Can't wait to see how you did!

Good luck and have a great time.

2011-07-12 8:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA

I did it last year as my first ever tri after only 2 months training, while we were in Tahoe on vacation.   I loved it.   Swim was awesome.   The bike is something else!  Beautiful, but damn it was pretty tough.   I had to stop twice just to take a drink because I was sucking wind so bad I couldnt drink and ride at the same, lol.

I would love to do it again to see how much I've improved in a year, but I'll be vacationing in CO instead.  Have fun!

2011-07-15 5:05 PM
in reply to: #3593742

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
jackson61802 - 2011-07-12 8:35 PM

I did it last year as my first ever tri after only 2 months training, while we were in Tahoe on vacation.   I loved it.   Swim was awesome.   The bike is something else!  Beautiful, but damn it was pretty tough.   I had to stop twice just to take a drink because I was sucking wind so bad I couldnt drink and ride at the same, lol.

I would love to do it again to see how much I've improved in a year, but I'll be vacationing in CO instead.  Have fun!

As a first tri!  Thats great...that hill is something else!  The LunaChix taught me how to breath to get up and told me to slow down.  Any slower and I would be going backwards!  Thanks for the input and have a wonderful vacation!
2011-07-15 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Oh, forgot to mention, there was a cancelation and I was able to get a campsite at Donner!  Headed out tomorrow morning, stopping in Reno to pick up the wetsuit I have on reserve, and then getting in race mode.  Can you tell I am getting excited?!

Happy racing and training!

2011-07-15 8:25 PM

User image

Have fun this weekend racers.

No tri this time for me. Cardiologist talked me out of it. Gonna go for a long walk along the shore with the dog instead. Nice, but not quite the same for an adrenaline junkie.

2011-07-19 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3599087

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
chris_in_oakland - 2011-07-15 8:25 PM

Have fun this weekend racers.

No tri this time for me. Cardiologist talked me out of it. Gonna go for a long walk along the shore with the dog instead. Nice, but not quite the same for an adrenaline junkie.

Sorry to hear that you are missing training and racing but on the other hand, way to listen to your body!  Take care of the health stuff first and you will be back in the race before you know it!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Donner Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed