On your marks events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 17s
Overall Rank = 57/238
Age Group = 45-49 M
Age Group Rank = 9/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up and ate breakfast and had coffee. Drank water on the way down to the race.
Event warmup:

Warmed up with a mile + 4 strides. Then poked around for about 15 minutes before the race. I saw my former TNT asst coach and his wife who was our manager before the race. They have the cutest kid.
Run
  • 23m 17s
  • 3.11 kms
  • 07m 29s  min/km
Comments:

I lined up about half way back--which was a mistake. Once the race started, I ended up doing a lot of side to side and dodging kids and I did not feel like I hit my stride until about the one mile mark.

I did not feel like I had the mental toughness today--but head it together getting to mile 2.5. I was really starting to suffer about until mile three when I turned the corner and saw the finish. I sprinted to the end and crossed the line.

I was hoping to be close to 22:00--but it was much slower. I need to do a couple more 5Ks to get better at this race distance.
What would you do differently?:

I lined up too far in the back. I spent most of the first mile passing people. Stoopid rookie mistake.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around and started to get dry heaves. Not good! I saw a young man yacking and I gave him my water. He needed it more than me. Also, I saw a young family with a boy who ran the race and a girl who did not (probably 3 or 4). I let them have my race t-shirt. My wife would probably kill me if I brought home another race shirt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It has been smoking hot for the last three days. My legs felt pretty shelled after the run.

Event comments:

Great local race. Well supported. Started on time. Nice race director team. Great job!

Only issue that I had was that the 10K starts 10 minutes before the 5K. By the first mile I started to catch 10K participants. A couple of times, it was diffcult to pass--but that's me!

Last updated: 2011-07-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:17 | 03.11 kms | 07m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 9/32
Overall: 57/238
Performance: Below average
7:53 for mile 1 7:22 for mile 2 7:12 for mile 3 6:25 for mile 0.12
Course: Flat --- fricken flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average