View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Gretna, Pennsylvania
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DNF/599
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/79
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal with fruit for breakfast. Drive to the race, pick up packet, get body marked, set up transition, helping my son through the process. Then we went to the TNT tent to hang out with them and for their pre-race meeting until it was time to head to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Arm swings before swim start, and about a minute of swimming after the wave that started before mine went off. This race doesn't lend itself well to a swim warmup.
Swim
  • 09m 14s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim considering the minimal training I've done this year. I felt like I raced a smart race.

I lined up on the inside front like I always do for this race, and went fairly hard for the first 100 yds or so to drop most of the people in the wave, then I shut it down into a fast cruising pace. At that point, there were only a few guys around me as we approached the first turn buoy, leaving mostly open water around it for a quick turn. Just after the firt buoy, we started catching people from the wave in front of us. By halfway between the 2 buoys, we got into the bulk of the previous wave. Because the swim is only 500 yds, and only a handful of faster swimmers in a wave, drafting is tough, because the odds of being in the right place at the right time to latch onto the feet of someone just slightly faster than you are slim. I wasn't lucky enough to have this happen, so I just had to keep passing people. By the 2nd turn buoy, we were catching people from 2 waves before us, and things were a little more crowded, but it still wasn't too bad making this turn. From there, it was a straight shot into the beach for the swim exit, so I started picking up the pace again for the finish.

I swam until I knew the water was below my knees, then jumped up and started running while stripping off my goggles, cap, and top half of my wetsuit.

This race has a run of about 100 yds from the swim exit to the timing mat at transition, so the swim split includes this run. It's across a grass area, up steps, along a deck for 50-100 feet, then up a paved path to transition. The steps and deck are a little slippery when wet, so I took it easy to avoid falling.
What would you do differently?:

The only way I could have gone faster is with more training time, and being lucky enough to find someone in my wave slightly faster than me to draft.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This is where my race ended. This was my son's 2nd triathlon, and his "A" race for the year. He was racked next to me. As I got to our spots, I noticed that his back tire was flat. Since he was starting 3 waves after me, I figured I had about 9 minutes until he arrived, and because this was his big race of the year, my 4th time racing it, and knowing that I wasn't in condition to race my best anyway, I may as well take the time to fix his tire for him.

I grabbed my CO2, and inflated his tire. It immediately went flat, so I knew I had to change the tube. I took his tire off to replace the tube, and noticed that the bead was chewed up a little. I remembered that he said he had a flat 2 weeks earlier when I was on vacation and had trouble getting it back on. I figured he must have damaged it then. I was a little concerned that this would be a problem when I put in a new tube, but went ahead anyway.

I got his spare tube in, inflated it with his CO2, and just as it reached full pressure...BLAM!! The bead was shot, and it caused this tube to blow. I thought about it for a few seconds, and decided that him finishing was more important than me finishing, so I took the back wheel off my bike and put it on his, and put my spare tube in his saddle pack.

My 9 speed cassette wouldn't match up perfectly with his 8 speed derailleur, but it would get him through the race. I ran back down out of transition to the paved path from the swim to cheer him on. I quickly explained what happened as I ran along side, and told him to just go race!

I was out of the race, but I got to see my son race, so it was worth it. He went on to finish about 6 minutes slower than his goal time, but solidly in the MOP.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 14.8 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race

Last updated: 2011-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:14 | 500 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/79
Overall: 64/599
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Counter-clockwise triangle around 2 buoys in a lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 14.8 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/79
Overall: 0/599
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/79
Overall: 0/599
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-07-05 8:11 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: Got The Nerve? Triathlon

2011-07-15 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3580732

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: Got The Nerve? Triathlon

I saw your post about this on a thread, so I had to search for the Tri that you gave your son your back wheel!

You're a GREAT Father for doing that! I'm sure your son is very grateful, and hope he buys you a beer. :-)

You did what you had to do...your son is more important than finishing a triathlon with lack of training...that itself deserves a finishing medal.

2011-07-16 10:16 AM

User image

Regular
Marco Island
Great decision and awesome example for your son on what it means to be a parent!  Whoo Hooo!!!!
2011-07-25 7:04 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Got The Nerve? Triathlon Rss Feed