General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hypoxic swim training for high altitude Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-05 12:36 PM

User image

Arizona
Subject: hypoxic swim training for high altitude

I live at 3400' and have an Oly race up over 7000' next month.  Last week someone at the pool gave me the advice to swim while taking limited breaths to simulate the lower oxygen environment; this is how he trained for flagstaff races in high school swim team and he said it worked well.

What has your experience been with this type of training?

2011-07-05 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3581393

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Subject: RE: hypoxic swim training for high altitude
Hypoxic swim training doesn't help and is dangerous. Don't do it.
2011-07-05 12:45 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
raeray80 - 2011-07-05 11:36 AM

I live at 3400' and have an Oly race up over 7000' next month.  Last week someone at the pool gave me the advice to swim while taking limited breaths to simulate the lower oxygen environment; this is how he trained for flagstaff races in high school swim team and he said it worked well.

Let me guess, Mountain Man? I have raced the Half and the Olympic up there and will be there again this year. I would not take that terrible advice and I would not worry about the elevation, you will feel s little short of breath on the swim but nothing slowing down a bit can't correct.
2011-07-05 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
raeray80 - 2011-07-05 12:36 PM

When you inhale after holding your breath, the air is just as thick as it was previously. By merely holding your breath you wont trigger your body to increase hemoglobin and red blood cell levels. If you want to adapt to racing in thin air, then you need to go where the air is thin. Breath control sets will have other adaptations, but not what you are looking for. If you want to adapt to altitude while living at sea level, you either need an air chamber or some EPO. Good luck in your race.

2011-07-05 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3581571

User image

Denver
tjfry - 2011-07-05 1:03 PM

When you inhale after holding your breath, the air is just as thick as it was previously. By merely holding your breath you wont trigger your body to increase hemoglobin and red blood cell levels. If you want to adapt to racing in thin air, then you need to go where the air is thin. Breath control sets will have other adaptations, but not what you are looking for. If you want to adapt to altitude while living at sea level, you either need an air chamber or some EPO. Good luck in your race.

Nailed it...

I've heard some silly advice thrown around, but this is pretty bad all and all.  ( OP's given advice that is )

2011-07-05 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

Last week someone at the pool gave me the advice to swim while taking limited breaths to simulate the lower oxygen environment; this is how he trained for flagstaff races in high school swim team and he said it worked well. What has your experience been with this type of training?

As others have said, the bottom line is that this is not effective for the desired goals. I would even wager a guess that it would be counterproductive (as you'd be swimming slower).

2011-07-05 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3581571

User image

Arizona

Bryan - yup heading to mountain man.  Thanks for the experienced advice!

tjfry - 2011-07-05 12:03 PM

Yeah this is what I found when I googled the technique online, but we all know how smart Dr Google, PhD is so I figured I get some real experienced opinions.  Thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hypoxic swim training for high altitude Rss Feed