General Discussion Race Reports! » Multisport Canada Parry Sound Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Multisport Canada Parry Sound Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Parry Sound, Ontario
Canada
Multisport Canada
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 10s
Overall Rank = 39/139
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/15
Pre-race routine:

Race wasn't until 9am so i got up a little after 7am and didn't eat anything. Normally i do but i read somewhere for a sprint it doesnt really matter if you dont eat, even if you feel a little hungry before the race. If i was gonna eat i wanted to do it at least a couple hours before the race and i did n't feel like getting up that early.
Event warmup:

Short swim that didn't go that well - a little bit of chop and it was messing with my breathing.
Swim
  • 16m 32s
  • 675 meters
  • 02m 27s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was pretty pschyed that the swim course seemed so short but it didn't start well since in the first 30 seconds I took an elbow and then a fist to the face. Oh well, I guess thats triathlon swimming....
It was kinda cool that you could see the bottom for the first little while as the water was only around 10' deep or so. But the swim didn't go well for me. I was putting out the effort but my technique sucked and I wasn't focusing on that and it was really messy with my breathing too. Just a slow crappy swim...
What would you do differently?:

Be better prepared. I hadn't swam at all in two weeks (since my last tri).
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

T1 was fine. A bit of a long run up the beach to get there but i think i was pretty decent in my transition. Not real encouraging when there was only my bike and a couple others in the racks near me..
There was a bin of water so i stuck my feet in, dryed them as best i could with my towel and put on my socks & running shoes and was off.

Nothing really
Bike
  • 49m 28s
  • 24 kms
  • 29.11 km/hr
Comments:

A good bike for me. I rode the course a week ago and was able to average only about 27.5km/h but was significantly faster on race day. I was passed by a fair bit of people over the first 5k or so - probably from the wave that started after me. But after that it was me who passed quite a few riders, especially on uphills i was reeling in lots of peeps.

Just need to get better on the bike. I don't think i suck but a ton of potential for improvement.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Fast T2, ran with bike, already wearing runners so all i had to do was rack the bike and dump my helmet and i ran out of T2.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 38s
  • 5.5 kms
  • 04m 29s  min/km
Comments:

I had a good run, passed a ton of people. Saw my girls 100m into the run and had some cheering and high 5s exchanged. Looking at my HR maybe i could have went a tiny bit faster but i felt i was giving it all on the course. Very happy with the run - last tri of the year and i definetly ran strong. Didn't drink any water because i didn't want to slow down to drink. I am not able to drink & run so at aid stations i yelled for a face shot and it was cool, the kids would just splash my face with water as I went by. Very refresing! Not too sure of my run split but I think I had a negative split. I was pushing it on the way back right from the turnaround. After the turnaround its a slight downhill and I let myself fly down the hill and just tried to keep up an increased pace on the return leg. The last km or so was good too - i really concentrated on increasing my stride and felt fast right through to the finish where my cheerleaders were doing their thing again!

Hard to say - always think i could have gone a touch faster but i am not gonna monday morning QB this thing - it was a good run.
Post race
Warm down:

Lie down then go for a dip in Georgian Bay.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just my sorry ass swim.

Event comments:

The course was very similar to the first race of the season and my bike & run were definetly better - though the weather may have been a part of that...

Last race of the 4 I did this year. Happy with performance and my improvement. A very short season (Last race was 6 weeks after the first race). Looking forward to improvements this offseason and being able to compare my results in the same races year to year.

Last updated: 2005-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:32 | 675 meters | 02m 27s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 88/139
Performance: Bad
160 avg HR
Suit: No
Course: The distance is an estimate. It is advertised as 750m but just looking at the course it was pretty obvious (to me anyway) that the course was short. I raced here a month ago at the same location and there is no way this course was as long as the last one. The course was a counter clockwise loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:28 | 24 kms | 29.11 km/hr
Overall: 48/139
Performance: Good
Avg HR was 163, 162 on way out and 163 on return.
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back course, first few clicks hilly and some rough pavement too then once you get on highway one big hill and pretty flat for the rest. Course was advertised as 25k but my bike computer said 24.2 from rack to rack so i am going with that because judging from the swim course these guys can't measure anything very well.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:38 | 05.5 kms | 04m 29s  min/km
Overall: 22/139
Performance: Good
173 HR on way out, 175 on way back.
Course: Out and back on flat fitness trail with a very small hill the last 50m or so to the turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-03 12:17 PM

User image

Otter Lake, Ontario
Subject: Multisport Canada Parry Sound Sprint Triathlon

2005-09-03 11:16 PM
in reply to: #240177

New user

Cherry Hill
Subject: RE: Multisport Canada Parry Sound Sprint Triathlon
Hey Saunaking,

I know the feeling all too well when referencing a "sorry ass swim." It looks like everything else went really well and I've always felt that if you look forward to doing the same race next year than the event was a positive one. Catch a breather in the off season and come back stronger next year. Great job this year and stay safe.
Congrats again!

Fargo296
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Multisport Canada Parry Sound Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed