General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from a scared newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-10 12:46 PM

User image

SWOH
Subject: Hello from a scared newbie

Hello. I've been lurking for a while and using one of this site's training programs for the last 8 weeks. My first tri is at the end of this month. It's a non-competitive, mini-sprint women's event in Ohio, hopefully to be followed by a full-length sprint tri in September.

About me: I was in terrible physical, emotional, and mental shape for years. After a series of debilitating life experiences, last year I decided to get myself into good enough shape to run a 5K. I had to walk a lot of it and my time was just under 40 minutes, but I finished. This summer, 30 pounds lighter and in much better shape of body, mind, and spirit, triathlon training has taken me to places I never thought I would go.

I love swimming -- I swam competitively as a kid and it was the only sport I was ever any good at. I'm a capable but timid cyclist (afraid of cornering/passing/crashing/going too fast down hills) and pretty much a godawful runner. But I love run training the most because that's where I get to see the greatest improvement.

Here's hoping I can stay uninjured and not let my fears/nerves get the best of me. Nice to meet you all.

2011-07-11 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3589073

Subject: RE: Hello from a scared newbie
Good luck to you!  I did my first tri yesterday and the swimming part scared me to death.  If I'm running or cycling and I get tired, I can always slow down or even stop.  But you just can't stop in 10 foot deep water.  I think swimming is the part that scares the most people, but it sounds like you've got a lock on that.
2011-07-11 4:15 PM

User image

SWOH

I can't wait until I get that first triathlon under my belt -- congratulations!

Despite the swimming experience, I still have a lot of problems with asthma and panic breathing, so the swim is still gonna be a huge challenge. Luckily, I was always better at breaststroke than freestyle. So if I get tired, winded, or start panicking while swimming freestyle out there, I can turn to my old standby to get me through.

2011-07-11 11:08 PM

West Bend
Hi back.  I think it's awesome that you are making positive life changes.  I was never very athletic as a kid- always picked last for teams in high school...good swimmer, great biker- totally sucky runner.  I did my first tri 4 years ago and loved it!  It was an all women event- lots of motivation and inspiration...got side tracked by life...but am back and just did another one on my 41st bday.  I'm motivated again, I feel great about myself...I'll never come in first but I WILL finish and have a great time doing it!!!  Enjoy the journey!Cool
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from a scared newbie Rss Feed