Kansas River Valley Tri Club
90+F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 51s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Wahooo my hometown race! Which meant the luxury of relaxing the day before, having a great gluten free pasta dinner (at Yia Yias) with Michael's parents, and being in bed by 9:30 p.m. Perfect.

Having packed the car the night before, I didn't have to get up till 4:30 a.m (ha) to be at Michael's by 5:00. Drove out to Lake Afton (ate GF oatmeal and coffee on the way) and arrived just at 5:30 as transition was opening. Normal routine of setting up, chatting with the enormous amount of people I knew, pre-race potty, etc.

Pre-race meeting, tri club check presentation to Ovarian Cancer research fund, national anthem, down to the lake! It's time to race and I was so calm and ready.
Event warmup:

Did a 6 or 7 minute ride to make sure the gears were shifting okay on the race wheels.
Swim
  • 26m 14s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

This event has the best race director in the world, but he has issues with delegating work! He was actually IN the water with us, it really cracked me up!

Only 22 ladies doing the Oly and we all started together. I was right inbetween 2 women for a little while but it wasn't long before we spread out. Very calm, very strong. I felt great!

Near the end of the 1st loop, the lead Olympic guys, who'd started 5 minutes ahead of us, catching us. Fasty fast fast fishies! As I was breathing I saw Kevin Nickel (who won overall, I recognize his stroke a mile away - very unique) pass me, and one more guy, and they I swear I saw Michael. Same top, his exact stroke, there he goes. My boyfriend just lapped me on the swim, hahahaaaa!

On to lap 2 and now I was coming up on the BOP sprint swimmers. Felt a little bad, one was hanging onto a lifeguard boat, a few floating on their backs. I wanted to encourage them but I didn't want to stop.

Passed a few guys on the last stretch - it was so shallow people were walking around the last turn bouey and you could stand up most of the last straight away (I did not, but just a note of interest).

Came out of the water feeling a little winded and my watch reading 25:25. Really happy with that!
What would you do differently?:

Squeeze my boyfriend's butt as he passed me :)
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Very standard T1. Chatted with my rack mate as I'd swum very close to her almost the entire swim. Nothing unusual to report.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 22m 33s
  • 24 miles
  • 17.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Out on the bike course I started really strong and passed a bunch of sprint-ers right away. Tried to keep a strong pace and then thought I might blow up doing that so I backed off juuuuust a little. I noticed my Garmin, which I'd set to "multisport mode" hadn't changed to "BIKE" even though I'd pushed the button. So after pushing a lot of times I just gave up and stopped it. Just as I am typing this, I realized I was pushing "start/stop" instead of lap. User fail!

Pretty uneventful first half. I'd made a 1.5-hour bottle of Infinite I was sipping from but otherwise drinking LOTS of water. Good call as I really think it helped on the run.

Right before the mile-long-hill I saw literally the biggest snake I've seen outside of a zoo just slithering across the road. Freaky. A girl behind me yelled out "SNAKE!" to warn others. Right after that I took a saltstick pill.

The "hills" on this route are long but not steep - I felt I got up them pretty good! Then we turned into the headwind. I was prepared for this - and it wasn't bad - but it was definitely there, probaly 15mph. But Honey Badger don't care about the wind... honey badger doesn't give a shit! Hahaha I was actually saying this out lout to myself... "look at him grimmace" I was really cracking myself up with that. But it did work, I REALLY picked up my effort here and passed someone even!

After the next turn I was basically back in the park and sailed in. Felt FANTASTIC about my effort here.

Nothing at all - executed well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Very average T2 - my rack mate's bike position left very little room for mine so I had to be careful not to knock hers off.

If I really cared I would have put Yankz on my running shoes.
Run
  • 1h 07m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Right out of transition my buddy Adam, who was volunteering, handed me a wet icy towel and it was heaven. I'd forgotten to grab my sweat towel so this was absolutely perfect. And my legs felt GOOD! I was ecstatic, but wondered how long that was going to last.

They had 4 aid stations each loop, so 8 for the 10K, which was awesome - and had the icy towels at ALL of them! I really think those towels made the difference on my run. At the end of the first loop, Michael's Dad passed me and I said "Hey you're not allowed to pass me!" and he thought that was pretty funny :) - that is one fast 57 year old.

There were a few times I *almost* stopped to walk, but I knew I'd be mad at myself if I did. The temperature was rising, everything was getting harder. I noticed I was pretty parched inbetween aid stations. I let myself walk the aid stations just long enough to grab water, gatorade and an ice towel, but never had to walk the rest of the time - NICE LISA!!!

My friend Karlene caught up to me in the last half mile and I tried to stay right behind her - sped up to do this - but it didn't last. I was really happy to see the finish line and stoked I ran the whole way in the 90+ degree heat!

Nothing - this was exactly the run I was capable of today. Nothing more, nothing less.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a great time chatting with Michael, his parents, my coach, and tri club friends - tried to stay in the shade.

Got 2nd place in my age group! I'm not supposed to say there were only 2 awards given (one girl got an overall award so I got 2/2 after she was taken out of the AG) but that was the situation. A little disappointed I wasn't at least in the middle of the 3, but I *did* tie my PR for Olympic distance so I'm VERY happy about that :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat.

Event comments:

This is a world-class event put on by the best tri club in the world! :)

Last updated: 2011-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:14 | 1500 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: De Soto 400-mile shirts, TYR tri top
Course: 2 loops, funky shape'd course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:19
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:22:33 | 24 miles | 17.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/3
Wind: Some
Course: 1 loop which included a mile-long hill - woot.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:07:29 | 06.21 miles | 10m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Course: 2 loops with very little shade
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-10 7:28 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Mudwater Triathlon - Olympic

2011-07-10 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3589470

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: RE: Mudwater Triathlon - Olympic
Great job! The heat has been horrible. I wimped out on my long run this morning because of it. Now I really do feel like a wimp! I'll have to sign up for this tri next year.
2011-07-11 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

Great race, and it sounds like you had a good time out there too.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet honey badger would easily take down giant snake.

2011-07-11 8:43 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I envy that swim time.  NICE JOB, LEEEEE SAAAAAH!!!
2011-07-11 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Wow for you! I really regret not going out to volunteer or at least cheer Frown especially after seeing what a fabulous race you had! You conquered the heat! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mudwater Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed