General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hurricane kits using tri stuff Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-04 9:39 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
Subject: Hurricane kits using tri stuff

it occured to me today during a mindless day at work. what can I put in my hurricane kit besides the usual stuff?

Mountain bike for getting around in- saves gas and you can get around debris better

Camelbak

water bottles- how many of us have a gazillion water bottles? Fill em up, freeze them. They make double duty as ice and then water.

Clif Bars- small, last for a year or so, and fill ya right up. (at least me). Nutrition too.

Gatorade- electrolytes when dehydration sets in?

and not tri related but I thought of that you don't usually see on lists:

small hard candies for sugar boosts

we started saving our half gallon milk bottles. We'll string them up in the garage. Washed, of course. If the time comes, we'll fill em up with water from our tap while it's still safe. Instant water supply. Maybe stick some in the freezer too.

my computer geek friend says they didn't have room in evacuation for two desktop computers, so they just removed the hard drives, put them in ziploc bags and stored the rest of the hardware up high in plastic.

Wish I told my mom this- she left hers in the car in Biloxi which was destroyed.

ah. well. can you tell I was bored at work today?

2005-09-04 11:18 PM
in reply to: #240672

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Hurricane kits using tri stuff

It's always good to think through potentials before hand.  Out here, the worry is that there will be a big earthquake.  My emergency kit also contains (probably what you already consider "usual stuff":

flashlight(s)
radio
batteries
rags or handi-wipes
one of those emergency blanket things made out of mylar
a tire pump? in case you needed to blow up some sort of floatation device?

I like the idea of the water bottles.  I usually just fill up what ever plastic thing is handy.

Did you see that story of the man who had been living in his house all this time?  He had filled his tub with water before the storm hit and was using that as his water source.  Another unexpected source of emergency clean water: the upper part of the toilet.

2005-09-05 12:15 AM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Wonder if there is a way to attach a generator to the trainer to geneate electricity in case of emergency. A tri-ready physique would also enhance survival.
2005-09-05 11:30 AM
in reply to: #240707

User image

Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: September: National Preparedness Month
This morning, there was a story on our local NPR station about September being National Preparedness month. They mentioned this site as a resource for disaster readiness:

http://www.ready.gov/index.html

My husband and I spent time looking at it together this morning. It looks like it's a great resource.
2005-09-05 12:31 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I was thinking Gels would be good to have on hand too...small portable and water proof
2005-09-06 8:04 AM

User image

Buttercup

Christine, great minds think alike! I was stocking up on Clif Bars this weekend. I decided I would buy them in bulk (online). Also, gels would be a good addition. I decided I would need to pack running gear, as well - I'll want to run off my anxiety if I have to evacuate.

Non-tri: I've been searching online (Froogle) for waders but haven't yet found any I like.

2005-09-06 11:21 AM
in reply to: #240849

User image

Subject: RE: September: National Preparedness Month

Thanks for the link.  We'll be putting the info to use. 

2005-09-06 1:58 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
It's funny you post that. The first 3 days of not hearing from my parents, I was ready to drive down to where they were and find them. I was in my head packing my car with water, gasoline, heavy gloves (for tree branch removal), a chainsaw, and...
My mountain bike (with attendant spare parts). In case the roads were blocked. I figured hell, I could bike from Mobile to Long Beach no problem. And clif bars, power bars, other compact nutrition. And my camelback.

I have seen lots of troops with Camelbacks in the footage of the relief efforts. Glad to see them being used, they make a lot of sense for hot weather rescue operations.

Can't say that I have a "triathlon physique" (well, I'm sure it's buried under all this fat somewhere). But I can say that I am so grateful for endurance training -- I know I am acclimated to the hot weather, and I am physically capable of going down there and cleaning the house all day, sawing through trees, clearing debris, whatever my parents happen to need when the time comes and I know I can keep doing that for days at a time. And I wasn't able to say that before this year. I probably would've tried and had heat exhaustion within 2 hours.
2005-09-06 10:08 PM

Veteran
The Emerald City

How many old sneakers and running shoes do you own?

Every time I needed to replace a sport shoe I kept the old one and placed it in a strategic place. 

I may not be at home during disaster so I keep a disaster kit in the trunk of my car.  Included are a pair of older running shoes for me and the hubby.   I work in a tall office building and usually where heels so I also keep a pair of sneakers at work in case I need to make a quick escape down 20 flights of stairs. We also keep another pair of old running shoes/sneakers under our bed in case of emergency during the night.  You never know if there will be broken glass after an earthquake or fire. 

Edited by kepola 2005-09-06 10:10 PM
2005-09-07 7:27 AM
in reply to: #240693

User image

Salt Lake City, UT
madkat - 2005-09-04 11:18 PM

Did you see that story of the man who had been living in his house all this time?  He had filled his tub with water before the storm hit and was using that as his water source.  Another unexpected source of emergency clean water: the upper part of the toilet.

Very smart of him to fill up his tub.
I also recall hearing the hot water heater can be used for a water supply. But I'm questioning if that is right or not.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hurricane kits using tri stuff Rss Feed