General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Caesar Creek Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waynesville, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 17s
Overall Rank = 134/316
Age Group = W 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/15
Pre-race routine:

Slept until the last possible second. Got up, got a cup of coffee, gathered my race gear, RunningFlyr loaded bikes on the car and off we went. I had half a cup of coffee and a blueberry crisp Cliff Bar for breakfast - yummy.
Event warmup:

Got transition set up, talked to the Tri Parents for a little bit, wavered back and forth on whether or not to wear a wet suit - decided to go for it, got my suit on and swam a little swim before heading up on to the beach to wait for the start. Wished RunningFlyr Luck and said hi to Bananatoes - who looks more like wolverine. My BIG MISTAKE was I forgot to try and warm up the lake...this would haunt me for my entire race.
Swim
  • 14m 14s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went well other then I about overheated in the wetsuit - I should have known better - this is what makes me wish I had a sleeveless suit but considering my wetsuit was free - beggars can't be choosers - the swim was pretty uneventful, I got one kick to the ribs and managed to pass quite a few people - I really dislike starting behind all the clydes though because when they kick they kick hard!
What would you do differently?:

Nadda...
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

I uh should probably practice transitions or something because I've been really slow this season - like molasses. Sheesh. I was running out of transition and one of my bike shoes was too loose so I had to stop and bend down to fix, yeah that was quite the view for the people behind me - poor suckers.

I dunno, stop lolly gagging.
Bike
  • 44m 31s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 18.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I had completely forgotten this bike course from last year. It's not a bad course but has more rolling hills than most of the HFP courses. I took advantage of the downhills and then slowed way down while climbing. The one thing I can say about this ride was it proved to me while my bike fitness may not be as good as last years my bike handling skills have gotten much better as I didn't have to come out of aero at all while on the course accept to climb, I felt really comfortable on all of the downhills staying in aero as well as on all of the turns and cornering, that's a big accomplishment for me as I'm a panzie on the bike. This was actually probably prompted by the fact that I didn't want to move around a lot on the bike because I had to pee sooooo bad. I kept drinking because I was thirsty but I seriously felt like my back teeth were floating.

Let see...maybe I should practice biking more than once every other week or so. Bike fitness is way down I really should get on that.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

It seemed like a long way from the dismount line into transition. I did manage to get through this transition pretty quickly even changing shoes and what not.

Go faster?
Run
  • 27m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

The run starts out up hill - actually truth be told the hill didn't seem nearly as long as I remembered it. I'm not sure if this was because I made it worse in my mind then what it really was or if it was because I had to pee so bad that I was more focused on just trying to get it done so I could go pee...I got to the top of the hill and grabbed a cup of ice from the aid station as I headed out over the dam, I was thirsty but for reasons already stated I didn't want to drink anything so I grabbed the ice and dumped it in my boobs - yup, my boobs you read that right, I employed the same tactic here because of the heat that I had for the run in my HIM last fall and it worked like a charm - that's why I love the built in sports bra of the tri top the ice can just sit there, well actually it's more like the ice goes clack clack clack as I run but it kept me cool. The run across the dam was longer than I had remembered, I slapped fives with Tri Daddy as we passed (he on his way back in, me on my way out) and the shortly after I hit the turn around I saw RunningFlyr who told me to get moving - I did kind of speed up, I couldn't let him catch me :)

Go faster.
Post race
Warm down:

I ran (probably faster than I had all day) to the bathroom so I could finally pee. - Just a tip, don't forget to pee before you start because racing an entire Sprint while having to pee is not fun. Grabbed a PB&J found RunningFlyr and the Tri Parents chatted for a bit then loaded up and took off so we could go move furniture and stuff all afternoon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of Training, I really need to be more dilligent in finding more time to train - this summer the time crunch is a whole lot more then last summer - it seems that I actually have to work a lot more this summer than I did last summer and additionally the situation with my Munchkin is different and I'm finding it harder to squeeze in the same amount of time this year as I did last year. This is the second race in a row where I have missed the podium by less than 30 seconds in my age group, although I did age up so I guess I really shouldn't be too disappointed :)

Last updated: 2011-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:14 | 820 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 0/316
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Suit
Course: Rectangle that was swum counterclockwise
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:31 | 13.67 miles | 18.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/15
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Rural roads around the state park.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:19 | 03.11 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/15
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-11 9:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: Caesar Creek Triathlon - Sprint Course

2011-07-14 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3590168

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Subject: RE: Caesar Creek Triathlon - Sprint Course
Nice job!  You looked good when you passed me on the run back in.  I tried to keep up but the mind and body did not agree on running.  Now that I know you were focused on getting done to find a porta potty I forgive you for not yelling at me to hurry up.Laughing
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed