United States
Tricat Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 23s
Overall Rank = 67/244
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/24
Pre-race routine:

Got up late skipped breakfast and drove to the event.
Event warmup:

No time for warmup. It was going to be the mile walk to the race start but I was running late and hopped a ride in the back of a pickup. I got to the race start with less than a minute to get ready for the swim. Managed to get on my wetsuit but skipped my nutrition.
Swim
  • 20m 45s
  • 1480 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

I lined up on the far left so I could use other swimmers to sight. This worked perfectly through the first bouy. On the second I went to the wrong side of the bouy adding some distance to my swim. The benefit is I was in deeper faster water. I skipped the "shallow" section.
What would you do differently?:

I would go to the correct side of the second bouy (the inside). Overall it was a good swim for me. I wasn't tired and was in the back of the middle which is much better for me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Didn't fully unzip wetsuit which caused it to be slightly difficult to get off. Other than that the decision to put socks on in T2 instead of T1 was a great idea. I moved quickly and felt good.

Practice taking off the wetsuit. I don't use it often.
Bike
  • 39m 48s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 21.86 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to average 22MPH. I didn't quite hit the goal. I would blame the head wind but it turned into a tail wind so it helped as much as it hurt. Just need to concentrate more and push harder.

I need to trust my legs and push harder. I was going hard but in the back of my mind I was worried about the run. Stop worrying and push it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

I put my socks on in T2 instead of T1. Drier feet made it a lot easier. Sure it cost some time in T2 and people passed me but it was well worth the time difference in T1.

I need to learn how to run without socks for a sprint distance.
Run
  • 20m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

The lack of nutrition in the morning was catching up to me. I had great energy but my calf started to cramp at the turn around. I measured the course at 2.8 miles. You can open it up and push the entire time. No need to save anything.

Get the nutrition in. I might not be hungry but the muscles paid for it. Two days later and the cramp in the calf is still hurting.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, and looked for something to do. The race is fast and is for a good cause but the post race activities is basically zero. They have some begals sitting on a table and that is about it. Was parked in so I got to push a car out of the way.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pure nutrition and liquids before the race. I pushed myself in training for a kick at the end of the run but cramps killed that idea.

Event comments:

The race is fast and is for a good cause but the post race activities is basically zero. They have some begals sitting on a table and that is about it. Have some music and a person announcing the finishers. THe little things keep people around to cheer on others.

Last updated: 2011-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:45 | 1480 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 154/244
Performance: Good
Suit: desoto first wave no sleeve
Course: This was a river swim with the current. The current seemed to be pretty good this day. When I floated I was being pushed. Last year that didn't happen.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:48 | 14.5 miles | 21.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/24
Overall: 49/244
Wind: Some
Course: The course was on Front street by the river. It is a good flat couse with some false flats. Going out there was some wind. I'm not sure how strong it was but I could feel it a little. The course had a couple bumps but was in good shape. It was nice to have the road closed for the event. Basically it is a smooth flat straight course made for speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 77
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:45 | 03.1 miles | 06m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 54/244
Course: There are two uphills in the course. Both of them are to get up to a bridge. Other than that it is a nice run along side the river. The path needs some repair. I turned my ankle slightly twice but over all the course is good. It is made for speed.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes