General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training Legs During Race Season? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-12 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: Strength Training Legs During Race Season?

What's your take on training legs while racing say a few times a month + s/b/r training 6 days a week?

I lift weights 2-3 times a mainly for esthetics ( I don't want to be the "scrawny" guy out of all my friends ). Since I started hardcore on my tri training I've cut gym time down a lot but now I don't know if I should maybe stop working out my legs while in the "prime time" tri season.

What's your take on this? would be doing my standard BB deadlifts, squats, presses etc. be detremental to my racing and give them a rest until the off season. Or would they infact help and I should continue incorporating them (I haven't done them in the past few weeks due to hip soreness from getting hit by a car on my bike).

Thank you for your input.

2011-07-12 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3593575

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Strength Training Legs During Race Season?
my lifting goes through cycles were I get motivated and not so motivated.  But, I only would on purpose stop the week of a race.  I like the vanity reasons as well for lifting but also I like to ensure I am getting my muscles that running, biking, and swimming don't get.  For me it is actually a necessity as I end up with weak hips which then leads to a whole host of problems.  So I am for at least one session a week but really want 2, if not 3.  If only my motivation would get out bed with me...  I am not saying it never impacts my running/biking but I do find it is pretty rare that it does (or at least that I notice it does), especially if I stay in a regular cycle of my workouts
2011-07-12 6:24 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
I try to lift twice a week during the season.  I work my legs once a week, but not the week before a race.

In the off season I'll bump things up to three sessions a week but still only do legs once. 

Mark

2011-07-12 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3593588

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria

bzgl40 - 2011-07-12 4:22 PM my lifting goes through cycles were I get motivated and not so motivated.  But, I only would on purpose stop the week of a race.  I like the vanity reasons as well for lifting but also I like to ensure I am getting my muscles that running, biking, and swimming don't get.  For me it is actually a necessity as I end up with weak hips which then leads to a whole host of problems.  So I am for at least one session a week but really want 2, if not 3.  If only my motivation would get out bed with me...  I am not saying it never impacts my running/biking but I do find it is pretty rare that it does (or at least that I notice it does), especially if I stay in a regular cycle of my workouts

I mean only stopping doing my legs, which wouldn't biking and running hit. (I know endurance won't build mass in the legs but it will still keep them strong I think). I'll still continue my core and upper body exercises.

The other issue is the only day I really have time to do legs is on Fridays after work but I have my long hard A group ride Saturday mornings.

2011-07-12 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3593597

User image

Payson, AZ
ubersteiny - 2011-07-12 4:29 PM

bzgl40 - 2011-07-12 4:22 PM my lifting goes through cycles were I get motivated and not so motivated.  But, I only would on purpose stop the week of a race.  I like the vanity reasons as well for lifting but also I like to ensure I am getting my muscles that running, biking, and swimming don't get.  For me it is actually a necessity as I end up with weak hips which then leads to a whole host of problems.  So I am for at least one session a week but really want 2, if not 3.  If only my motivation would get out bed with me...  I am not saying it never impacts my running/biking but I do find it is pretty rare that it does (or at least that I notice it does), especially if I stay in a regular cycle of my workouts

I mean only stopping doing my legs, which wouldn't biking and running hit. (I know endurance won't build mass in the legs but it will still keep them strong I think). I'll still continue my core and upper body exercises.

The other issue is the only day I really have time to do legs is on Fridays after work but I have my long hard A group ride Saturday mornings.

Running and biking will work your quads and hams pretty good but not so much your hip muscles.  So if you only have one day and yeah, I agree that Friday evening is a bit close to a tough ride then maybe just do some abductor and adductor work.  That should keep your legs fresh enough to hammer the bike.  You basically want some lateral movement in your exercises

2011-07-13 9:36 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
I prefer to train legs circuit style, kinda CrossFitish, during the season.  I have my long swim early in the week and my long run and ride towards the end.  I prefer to work legs Monday or Tuesday so they are recovered by Friday.  I pretty much like to couple exercises on stable surfaces (squats, hacks, deads, etc) with a version on an unstable surface or single legged. 

2011-07-13 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3594323

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria

uhcoog - 2011-07-13 7:36 AM I prefer to train legs circuit style, kinda CrossFitish, during the season.  I have my long swim early in the week and my long run and ride towards the end.  I prefer to work legs Monday or Tuesday so they are recovered by Friday.  I pretty much like to couple exercises on stable surfaces (squats, hacks, deads, etc) with a version on an unstable surface or single legged. 

Would you recommend if I do it in a circuit style to drop the weight and go for more hypertrophy and less about pure strength?

2011-07-13 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3594416

User image

Pro
CyFair
ubersteiny - 2011-07-13 10:28 AM

uhcoog - 2011-07-13 7:36 AM I prefer to train legs circuit style, kinda CrossFitish, during the season.  I have my long swim early in the week and my long run and ride towards the end.  I prefer to work legs Monday or Tuesday so they are recovered by Friday.  I pretty much like to couple exercises on stable surfaces (squats, hacks, deads, etc) with a version on an unstable surface or single legged. 

Would you recommend if I do it in a circuit style to drop the weight and go for more hypertrophy and less about pure strength?

Definitely drop the weight.  Form, speed, and keeping your HR up is pretty much my goal intra workout.  In theory I'm just trying to hold onto some of my leg mass in season.  In the off season I'm looking at something like 5/3/1 or sealfit that incorporates heavy singles and triples.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training Legs During Race Season? Rss Feed