Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
110F / 43C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 14m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 55/92
Pre-race routine:

Had the usual pre-race meal about 2 hours prior to start. PB&J on bread (no toaster in the hotel room), banana, cup or so of milk and sipped on 24oz of perform up until start. Long walk from parking lot to transition. Just tried to stay relaxed and mentally go through my transition and race.
Event warmup:

No real warm up. Did get in the water to get used to the cool temp and take a few strokes (maybe 100 yards).
Swim
  • 32m 55s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not too bad. The kicks and hits were only glancing blows. Goggles stayed clear and I was surprised at how visable the buoys and other sighting marks were. Never really got a good stroke rythm going but did alright anyway. Finished a little quicker than I expected. Getting out the water was a little sketchy. There were lots of large rocks or concrete blocks on the bottom. Had to walk slowly to exit ramp.
What would you do differently?:

I think I could be less conservative and push a little harder next time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Uneventful. Started exiting down an isle and someone said I had to go another direction. They should have blocked the area off if they did not want anyone to go there. Only lost a few seconds.

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 13m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Tough bike! The hills were not very long but seemed steep. I need a bigger cog set. I was not prepared for the climbing. It took alot out of me. The wind was also tough and made you work hard for any speed. Felt like I fueled alright and put in as much effort as I safely could.

Prepare better for climbing. Stop neglecting my hard bike training sessions. Have a better gear set up for climbing.
Transition 2
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

Must have had too much fluid on bike because I had to urinate. Fortunately they had port-o-potties inside transition.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 23m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Sooo hot! Temperature at finish was 110 F. I felt like I did everything I could do to stay hydradated and fueled. I dumped cold water over my head regularly to try and stay cool. Had to walk alot more than I wanted to. I experienced a little right knee pain right off the bike but it subsided. No other knee issues (right or left). No IT band issues. Wooohooo! Thought I got a rock in my shoe about mile 6, but it was a blister on my left foot. Ran through it. No cramps or anything like that, just fatigued and overheated. Good electrolytes but not enough fluid???

Figure out how to prevent the blister issue. Try and get more fluids down. Do more hill workouts. Buy better sunscreen.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt better than I did after my last 1/2 (no issues with numbness, nausea, or hyperventilation). Hung out in med tent to cool down. After learning how low my blood pressure was I opted for an IV. Great choice! I felt much better after the IV, iced towels on the major veins, and some cola.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatigue, overheated, and apperently dehydrated on the run. Tough bike hurt me on the run.

Event comments:

If I get a wild hair and feel like I need a huge challenge I'll go back. Most likely not...

Last updated: 2010-12-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:55 | 2112 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 55/92
Overall: 281/
Performance: Good
Race report indicated a 1:43 pace
Suit: Xterra sleeveless
Course: In water standing start with about 200 swimmers (waves were doubled up due to anticipated high temps).Sort of a horseshoe shaped course with several turns. Pretty good selection of sighting points and good visable bouys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:13:05 | 56 miles | 17.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 60/92
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Mostley flat. When there were hills they seemed pretty steep. Roads were generally in good shape. Down hills were pretty fast. Wind was pretty brutal. Rarely ever got a good tailwind. Some sand in some of the roads. Like a desert!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:23:23 | 13.1 miles | 10m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 55/92
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: Mostly flat but several long steep hills that required me to walk. Very little shade. Lots of black asphalt. No soft surface options. Soooo freekin hot!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes