Warsaw , VA
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 38m 16s
Overall Rank = 231/254
Age Group = 40-44 Female
Age Group Rank = 16/20
Pre-race routine:

Routine?? I'm still developing one. Currently disorganized but I compensate by getting to the race site early. Hey, it's my second triathlon.

I mentally going over thoughts that keep me calm and make me enjoy the event. It was my first open water swim tri and second open water swim (period). Listening to folks you would think that there is a mandatory panic attack that WILL happen. It never happened. I had other issues on the swim. I took a puff off my albuterol inhaler to control the asthma - I hate that. I feel like such a reject but have to live with it for now.
Event warmup:

I jumped in the water swam a few strokes and got out. Clearly I hadn't a clue to swimming open water and never practiced it but once. That once should have given me a clue to practice more.
Swim
  • 59m
  • 1500 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I sucked, but really - the swim was fun and my first real long swim in open water. So it was kind of neat too. No jelly fish or nettles noted. Seemed like a good river to swim in.

What would you do differently?:

Practice open water swim. But really, this was a learning experience. Use some anti-fog stuff on my goggles - I had trouble seeing. Stop sighting every second stroke.
Transition 1
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

I took my time. I was still in awe that I made it out of the water. It was lonely in T1.

Run more. Pretend like its a race.
Bike
  • 1h 35m 15s
  • 25 miles
  • 15.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I never really pushed it hard. I enjoyed it. I passed several with flats and some folks that were out crusing.

Go harder and risk it. I stopped and gave a CO2 cartridge and nozzle attachment to a woman walking with a guy on the bike course. His derailleur was broke she said she could use some air. I took off after a very brief explanation of how to work it. I'm peddling away and I hear a loud pop. I turn around but can't make out details. I hear no screaming so I debated for a split second to go back and investigate or keep going. I kept going. I never asked for it back. I kind of assumed she would turn it in at the end of her race. That didn't happen. I'm more sorry for someone whose luck fails them than I am for my lost CO2 pump. But I'm not rich so I do feel the cost of that generosity and probably will give someone my manual pump next time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Riding with feet on top of shoes? You mean people do that? Not something I've mastered.

Socks were wet from the ride. I wish I had changed them. They didn't help much on the run as they bunched around the toes. I'd probably do it all quicker next time.
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

As usual I always felt like it's a struggle.

Eat earlier the day before. Try to go faster.
Post race
Warm down:

I jumped in the water. That felt good. Showered and later ate cookies (that's why I did this whole thing), bananas, crab cake, and even tried a RedBull. No alcohol allowed at the park. Hmmmm....Isn't alcohol part of warm-down?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me. Swim ability is a clear target. Lack of experience in triathlons. Start caring about speed. Now, I just care about finishing with a slight urge to be faster. Need to continue to drop the excess baggage. Getting faster will happen in time. Relative to myself - I was happy with how things went and thrilled to finish an OLY as my second triathlon.

Event comments:

I enjoyed it. Volunteers were great, race director did a great job, food was good and plentiful. Slower folks could actually get to drinks and bananas, etc.. when they finished. The volunteers were a class above the rest. Crowd was very encouraging. The announcer did a great job. Course marshalling was super. I just always felt safe and on track on all portions of the event. The surroundings are low traffic and just an awesome place. The venue is a pretty cool place - a private beach/campground/picnic area. Two shower and bathroom locations. The gentleman that owns it is about 80. He runs it with family. He also farms by himself 400 of the surrounding acres. He didn't charge me when I showed up a week early to ride the course and a second time to just play in the water and lie on the beach the day before. Nice folks. The town of Tappahannock and Warsaw just seems to have nicer people. I managed to lose a pair of prescription sunglasses, so need to bring cheap sunglasses to the next tri.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:59:00 | 1500 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/254
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri top/shorts with bra underneath
Course: Rappahannock River. A beautiful swim out to the first RedBull buoy (they were white - same as first wave caps) then past some orange ones then another turn at the other white RedBull buoy and back into the beach. I understand the course was long. Although they swear it wasn't. I didn't care. I wanted it to really really long to justify my swim time. Wetsuits were optional and a NO-NO if you wanted to place. I had no hope of placing but didn't wear a wetsuit because I wanted to challenge myself without one. Aren't they for cold weather anyway?
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:48
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:35:15 | 25 miles | 15.75 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The course does have some rolling hills along Route 3 and some individual hills with one hill being a bit more evil than the rest. The nice thing is that much of the bike course seems to be well shaded and the hills are shaded. (Race day was overcast). The hills also come not in the beginning or end but more in the middle of the ride. The portion of the ride that is along a busier road (Route 3 ) didn't have that much traffic which is good as there is very little shoulder for most of it. The rest of the roads seemed mostly empty of traffic. Great course marshalling and markings. You couldn't possibly go off course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:00:00 | 06.2 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Flat out&back course on roadway. Low/no traffic. Nice volunteers. Water stops had gatorade, water, and one had gels.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes