General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steelman Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-08-08 5:21 AM
in reply to: #3598087

User image

Veteran
Coopersburg, PA
Subject: RE: Steelman Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread
Had a great time! Stopped raining as soon as I pulled into the parking lot. Got a bit humid on the run but it could have been a lot worse. I will be back next year!

2011-08-08 6:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Horrific swim on my part, but good times....it def sucks when you have a real bad swim bc your so tired when get out....but made up some time on bike and run....I will be there next year..
2011-08-08 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.

Anyone get a GPS on the distances on the bike course?

I just measured it out on the mapping program on BT and It is approximately 26.6 miles long so roughly 2 miles longer than what is listed on the web site. The last time I did the race they went straight out Harrisburg school rd (the driveway into the marina/race area. Now they use the route that runs out to the main entrance. By my mapping that route is 1.6 miles and 577' of climbing just to get to 563.

Do you know anyone who has a GPS of the full bike route? I am just curious???

2011-08-08 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3633438

User image

Veteran
sgillen - 2011-08-08 8:20 AM

I just measured it out on the mapping program on BT and It is approximately 26.6 miles long so roughly 2 miles longer than what is listed on the web site. The last time I did the race they went straight out Harrisburg school rd (the driveway into the marina/race area. Now they use the route that runs out to the main entrance. By my mapping that route is 1.6 miles and 577' of climbing just to get to 563.

I got the same.

I'll upload the route tonight when I get home.

I had a blast as this was my first Oly - I know i had a good swim for me and a good bike for me.  But lordy did I start to melt/breakdown on the run.  I was thinking, "ok, this sux, just get to my wife and dog and this will all be over" and "I will never do a half".

This morning, I was thinking hmmmm...6.2 miles wasn't THAT bad.  I could double the run...

2011-08-08 10:05 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I didn't do the race this year, but had several friends that raced, and they also said the bike course was a bit long, similar distance to what you're reporting (not sure if by GPS or wheel mounted sensor, though....).
2011-08-08 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania

The bike course was indeed almost 2 miles longer than advertised.  Garmin Connect is being flaky so I havent been able to study the data.

2011-08-08 10:37 AM

User image

If the bike course was 2 miles longer I am okay with my time.  I only did the sprint this year and really wish I would have done the oly again.  I actually placed first in the Clydes division (which was a huge surprise).  I will be back next year for the oly for sure. 
2011-08-08 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Distance was updated in the results. Bike course now says 26.9 miles. It was advertised as 24.6 miles. 2.3 miles. If I adjust it for the added distance I have a new PR for the olympic distance by a couple of minutes! A good race in my book.
2011-08-08 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3634307

User image

Veteran
Coopersburg, PA
sgillen - 2011-08-08 3:42 PMDistance was updated in the results. Bike course now says 26.9 miles. It was advertised as 24.6 miles. 2.3 miles. If I adjust it for the added distance I have a new PR for the olympic distance by a couple of minutes! A good race in my book.
Did u find results online? If so where? I don't see them on the steelman website.
2011-08-08 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3634515

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.

Live2ski - 2011-08-08 4:08 PM
sgillen - 2011-08-08 3:42 PMDistance was updated in the results. Bike course now says 26.9 miles. It was advertised as 24.6 miles. 2.3 miles. If I adjust it for the added distance I have a new PR for the olympic distance by a couple of minutes! A good race in my book.
Did u find results online? If so where? I don't see them on the steelman website.

https://www.lin-mark.com/raceresults.aspx?guid=3915d4c2-1198-4a2e-91ff-35a9158cad61

2011-08-08 9:36 PM

When and where is this race I am interested in the sprint? New to the sport haven't race a tri yet.

2011-08-09 6:51 AM

User image

Regular
Collegeville, PA
Race is near Quakertown, PA at marina at Nockamixon state park.  Usually first or second weekend of August.  Great first race - it was my first 3 years ago.  Organizer does a great job.
2011-08-09 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3633438

User image

Veteran
sgillen - 2011-08-08 8:20 AM

Even though it was officially changed, I uploaded the route for shigrins.

2011-08-10 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran

My Garmin recorded 26.98 miles.  Definitely longer than anticipated. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/105369880

2011-08-10 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Ardmore, Pennsylvania

I only did the sprint but yeah, the bike was about 2miles longer- my gps said 15.3 miles I think.

one of my favorite races every year   so much food after but I am never hungry- bummer!  best race swag, wearing my 2010 hoodie at this very moment   (S.O. stole the beer cooler bag from this year already!)

I do wish the run was counter clockwise- it's hard to stay left, pass right! especially when my brain is already fried!  but hey, finished the miles after a month of absolutely no running (pulled hammy!) so that's good

2011-08-10 10:22 AM

Overall poor race. C-

I think most of the feedback posted is extremely generous.  I personally had a good race but, i gave this race a fair assessment

Pre Race Overall C. Needed more Portajohns and a few additional tents to deal with the rain.  The bike corral was only marked by waves....some people took more space for transition while other people got jammed up on top of each other.  Poor transition space management.

Swim. Overall C. Treacherous start and finish for the swim. The rocks as you enter the water were extremely painful and the finish on the boat ramp was extremly slippery.  The volunteers were only limited value to help exit.

Overall C. Bike route is very hilly and only the breakdown lane is rideable due to the poor road conditions and was extremely congested.  Throughout bike portion several people with blown tires not surprised based on the road.  poorly marked.  They used chalk. The distance was off  was it 24 miles or 26?  I know what my GPS says

Overall D.  The run course was way too narrow for both the sprint and olympic races it was impossible to pass at times and had near head on collisions.  Mile makers were confusing.

Finish B+ Loved the cold shower station and the pizza was awesome.

2011-08-10 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3637542

User image

Veteran
georover33 - 2011-08-10 11:22 AM

Overall poor race. C-

I think most of the feedback posted is extremely generous.  I personally had a good race but, i gave this race a fair assessment

Pre Race Overall C. Needed more Portajohns and a few additional tents to deal with the rain.  The bike corral was only marked by waves....some people took more space for transition while other people got jammed up on top of each other.  Poor transition space management.

Solution: Get there earlier.  Get your preferred transition rack space.  If people are taking up too much room dont be passive agressive about it.  Just tell them to move over.  There were plenty of porto-potties.  Once again, get there earlier and get your potty-time taken care of early.  Dont blame the RD for your lack of ability to plan the timing of your bowels.

Swim. Overall C. Treacherous start and finish for the swim. The rocks as you enter the water were extremely painful and the finish on the boat ramp was extremly slippery.  The volunteers were only limited value to help exit.

Is there such a thing as a non-treacherous OWS start?  I didnt know they could make non-rocky areas for entry and non-slippery boat ramps for exits.  The volunteers did a great job of helping extract people.

Overall C. Bike route is very hilly and only the breakdown lane is rideable due to the poor road conditions and was extremely congested.  Throughout bike portion several people with blown tires not surprised based on the road.  poorly marked.  They used chalk. The distance was off  was it 24 miles or 26?  I know what my GPS says

Very Hilly?  HTFU.  Thats not a hilly course.  Thats about as flat a tri course as you will find in PA. 

Congested?  Its two full lanes wide.  You could ride five abreast on that road.  I didnt think the turnarounds were poorly marked at all.  Its not hard to see a giant orange cone in the middle of the road.  Or were you out in front the whole time and didnt see where everyone else was turning?  I would guess not if you were complaining it was congested. 

Yes the course was longer than advertised.  So it was 26.8 miles.  Big deal.  Everyone had to ride the same course.  Whats an extra 2 miles?

Overall D.  The run course was way too narrow for both the sprint and olympic races it was impossible to pass at times and had near head on collisions.  Mile makers were confusing.

I dont get how they were confusing.  I know there were some places where on the 10k course you might see mile 5 before you saw mile 2 due to the two-loop course, but seriously, did you think you were already at mile 5 before you got to mile 2?

2011-08-10 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran

Oh and rain tents?  Seriously?  Its raining, big deal get over it.   Rain is made of water.  Water is wet.  The lake is made of water.  Therefore the lake is wet.  You are about to swim in water right?  Whats a little more?

2011-08-10 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3637757

I have mixed feelings about this event...mind you I have done this event 5 (sprint & oly) out of the 7 years.  This is indeed a well-organized and safe event...definitely see a big difference when you compare it to other races.  The problem I see is that you have the finish, bike in/out & food all within a short distance.  Gets very crowded IMO (participants and spectators) when you factor those heavy traffic areas.  The run course is not wide enough and when it’s humid out you really feel it.  And depending on which wave you are in, the bike course can be crazy (same as the run) when you have the sprint and oly (2nd loop) on the course at the same time.  I don’t think the event has outgrown the location but they need to logistically change things.  

BTW..where were the USAT officials this year and what about road assistance from High Road Bicycles.  Didn't notice anyone with penalties - also, I usually see at least 2 vehicles from High Road Bicycles going up and down the course assisting people with flats.  I only say this because I got two flats this year and could have used their help.  Happened just before the turn to head back into the park...just 2 miles left or something like that!!!  I was so bummed.  My swim was 13 minutes flat and I was hammering the bike.... big time.  After the 2nd flat I just walked my bike back to T2…essentially after the 1st flat my race was over (competitively speaking), BUT I STILL DID THE RUN!!!!

2011-08-10 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3637665

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
noofus - 2011-08-10 12:13 PM

Overall poor race. C-

Solution: Get there earlier.  Get your preferred transition rack space.  If people are taking up too much room dont be passive agressive about it.  Just tell them to move over.  There were plenty of porto-potties.  Once again, get there earlier and get your potty-time taken care of early.  Dont blame the RD for your lack of ability to plan the timing of your bowels.

Is there such a thing as a non-treacherous OWS start?  I didnt know they could make non-rocky areas for entry and non-slippery boat ramps for exits.  The volunteers did a great job of helping extract people.

Very Hilly?  HTFU.  Thats not a hilly course.  Thats about as flat a tri course as you will find in PA. 

Congested?  Its two full lanes wide.  You could ride five abreast on that road.  I didnt think the turnarounds were poorly marked at all.  Its not hard to see a giant orange cone in the middle of the road.  Or were you out in front the whole time and didnt see where everyone else was turning?  I would guess not if you were complaining it was congested. 

Yes the course was longer than advertised.  So it was 26.8 miles.  Big deal.  Everyone had to ride the same course.  Whats an extra 2 miles?

I dont get how they were confusing.  I know there were some places where on the 10k course you might see mile 5 before you saw mile 2 due to the two-loop course, but seriously, did you think you were already at mile 5 before you got to mile 2?

x2. I had to bail this year due to a knee injury that hadn't healed up in time to run or bike (or bend fully), but I have done this race the last 3-4 years prior to that, both the sprint and oly (at different years, obviously).

I used to do a LOT of tri's in the 90's - upwards of one oly a month from April through September. This is one of the better races overall. The course is not pancake flat, but it IS reasonably flat for PA. If you don't want ANY hills, find another state to ride in. Even when I do big rides in Philly, there are hills to be found. As for the bike corrals, I have done races where the bikes where assigned by race number, not wave. There are still bikes all jammed up, and inconsiderate people taking up too much space. Unless this year was different, the space was well managed, and I am more concerned about the management of people coming in and out of the transition area that are not supposed to be there. (I dropped a race from my schedule after last year when I saw people entering and leaving at non-designated places, with no one checking that I actually was leaving the bike I was marked for).

Yes, the entrace for the swim is uncomfortable and rocky. Get a pair of cheap flip-flops, or toughen up your feet. It's not a sand beach, but it is also not big salty waves with sharks and octopuses and other stinging/biting creatures.

The run may be a bit tight if you are squarely in the middle of the pack. Either get faster or slower and you won't have a problem. The mile markers are only confusing if you forget which race you are running and don't use a GPS watch. Otherwise, you should be able to say whether that 5 mile marker is even meant for you. The oly goes out further, so ignore the markers for 4/5/6 miles. They have no meaning for the sprint.

2011-08-11 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3637542

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA

Overall poor race. C-

So.... did you make a new user account just to slam this race? Sure looks that way....

I didn't do Steelman this year because I had a scheduling conflict, but I think it's one of the better races in our region, and put on at a reasonable fee. I for one intend to continue supporting organizers who put on well-run, reasonably priced events like this one.

2011-08-12 6:02 AM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
I have to agree with the positive posts about this race. Could it be better in some ways? Sure but much of the complaints revolve around things that can't be controlled. Lake bottom, road conditions, hills etc. I will say what Dale can control he does a fantastic job and I will continue to race it. I would say that most people must feel this way as the race sells out each year. As to port o potties, while I was in transition before the race they were repeatedly telling people via the sound system that there was an additional row of them which had no lines. I guess people didn't listen or hear that. Finally to the bike racks. The packet said 6 bikes per rack. I saw some people set up for 4 or 5 per rack. You just need to be a little more assertive and slide some stuff around. If they are using too much space that's their problem and they'll have to get over it. No one should need more than about 18-24 inches for bike and transition area. In general I would have to say Suck it up!!!! This is a great race!
2011-08-12 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3640479

User image

Veteran
Sorry...off topic from a positive versus negative experience, but did anyone else notice all the people with flat tires or bike trouble?
2011-08-12 8:50 AM

User image

There were lots of flats.  I heard anecdotal evidence of the locals throwing glass and debris in protest, but I did not encounter any flat trouble or much debris.  Likely, the early rain washed some debris on the road which caused trouble.  I would also venture that many of the cyclists were using wheels and tires that hadn't been ridden much and were subject to weakening from dry rot.  That could mean they don't maintain their bike or they were riding race equipment that isn't used frequently.  I knew 7 racers including myself that day.  None of us had trouble with flats.  3 of us use race wheels (SRAMS and Reynolds).
2011-08-12 11:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Yea I felt there were alot of people who had flats, I was riding near a guy and he got a flat, I was like man they are going down like flies, lucky for me I didn thave a problem, but I def been there and it sucks....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steelman Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3