World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 55m 33s
Overall Rank = 154/1700?
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 20/248?
Pre-race routine:

Everyone said get there early so we did. Still ended up parking more than half a mile away even though there were spots close to transition. Poor parking coordination by the race--but that was the only complaint for the whole day so rant over.

Oatmeal, banana and coffee for breakfast. cliff bar and gatorade about 30 minutes out from start. Minimal warmup.
Event warmup:

Minimal
Swim
  • 39m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my best triathlon swim yet. Felt strong, fast and comfortable in the water. Sighting was excellent. Swam straight. Actually ended up passing many people in the two waves in front of me. I felt so good that I was expecting my time to be in the low 30s. I was totally shocked to see 39:26 as my swim time.

I never felt like I was working that hard and I felt great in T1. I have been getting a lot faster in training and I just need to transfer this to the actual race.

Still very happy with this swim and how good I felt.
What would you do differently?:

Push a little harder, but not too hard.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

I had to take off the DeSoto swim skin which added a couple seconds. I also decided to put on my Garmin in T1. This is the first time I have done this and it added a few seconds to my time. Transition was a huge area so there was a lot of ground to cover in and out of transition.

I am still not doing the shoes clipped in but I did have a great running mount onto the bike, cyclocross style.

Overall satisfied with this.

Wear garmin in swim....

Learn to get in to clipped in shoes
Bike
  • 2h 35m 41s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.58 mile/hr
Comments:

First race with a disk cover and this is the fastest I have ever gone. Don't know if it is the training or the cover. Started a little too fast but settled in. I know it says I went from 408th to 324th position on the ride but I passed way more than 84 people. My wave was one of the last ones and I would suspect I passed 4-500 people on this ride. Really felt great. Concentrated on being smooth and not working too hard. Some really fast people blew by me like I was standing still.

My stomach started to act up a little during the bike. It had been a little iffy prior to starting so it is unclear if it was pace, nutrition, or just a slightly upset stomach. It reduced my calorie intake a little but otherwise did not affect things too much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I was in and out in seconds. I probably was at my transition spot for less than 10-12 seconds so the rest of this time is just transitting the area? There was a guy at the dismount line yelling that,"our legs were going to be like jello so take it easy." but my legs felt fine and I passed about six people just running down the chute into transition.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 36m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

It was HOT! by the time I started the run. Stomach was still a little iffy but I decided I was going to go as fast as I thought I could sustain. My goal had been 1:31 and I think that on a cooler day and with my stomach feeling better that might still be attainable at my current fitness level. It sure felt like a long way from the 5 mile marker to the turn around. This whole 1.55 miles was up and down hills and the whole time I was thinking, "I have to run right back over all of these hills."
Post race
Warm down:

Into water. Food (slowly). Lots of liquids. I did not pee the entire race and in fact did not have to pee for about two hours after the race. This was vastly different than my last 70.3 where I peed four total times (TMI-sorry.) I think the heat and my slightly upset stomach which limited my intake a little conspired to leave me a little dehydrated at the end.

Event comments:

Tons and tons of volunteers. Ice, water, sports drink was plentiful. Really the best aid stations/volunteers that I have seen yet at a tri.

Last updated: 2011-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:26 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 51/248?
Overall: 408/1700?
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto liftfoil over tri stuff
Course: rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:35:41 | 56 miles | 21.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 44/248?
Overall: 324/1700?
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:36:42 | 13.1 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/248?
Overall: 154/1700?
Course: A rolling, moderately hilly out and back course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-16 10:06 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Muncie

2012-04-04 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3599391

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muncie

What a great race!! You smoked this thing!! Love reading your race reports (Read your kona report as well), very positive and upbeat despite the GI issues.  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muncie Rss Feed