Super Jock and Jill
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = 428/529
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 78/94
Pre-race routine:

Got up and started breakfast, cleaned the bathroom...why can't men clean the toilet? Is it a genetic thing? Ate my breakfast. Put together my water/gatorade, grabbed my Sharkies, set up my iPod. I would be running with Bono and Jack Johnson today if E didn't show.
Event warmup:

Porta Potty Olympics! This consists of standing in a line hopping from foot to foot wishing you hadn't had that large glass of water. Seeing a green, making a run only to be rudely cut off by a man who, apparently, does not understand the concept of lines. Head for another green, only to be chased down by a woman who, apparently, is from the country of Cluelessia along with the guy.
Run
  • 2h 17m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started with us making our way to the back back back of the pack pack pack! This was actually a training run for Seattle fit. It's part of our preparation for the Seattle Marathon in November. I did it last year and think I did a 2:20 or so. I wasn't looking for a PR (which is a darn good thing). I actually did not sleep last night due to a really really bad backache and even toyed with not running. Ironically my back didn't so much as ping the entire race!

I was so glad that E was there to run with me. Since we're just getting to know each other there is always LOTS of talking. We've run together on training runs a few times. I'm a bit faster so I push her a bit, but she likes that. Thirteen miles goes by FAST when you're yapping! Roy wasn't running due to an injury, so it was nice to have someone to run with. Wr ran and chatted and chatted and ran and waved and clapped and laughed and chatted some more. At mile 11 E wasn't feeling well so she told me to go ahead without her. Nope! We were in this together, so I stopped and walked with her for about .25 mile. Her tummy issues cleared and we hopped back into the race! Lots and lots of great race support. At mile 12 two of our Seattlefit coaches and another runner were whooping and hollering like madwomen! It was GREAT! That just means so much!

Just as we rounded the corner with about half a mile to go I was looking at geese and commenting on the oddball white one when E said "Hey!" and pointed. There was Roybee holding a sign that said "You Rock! Go Tory! Wooo Whoo!" Hahahahahaha! I love that! Just LOVE that! Isn't he the greatest? Gotta love that man of mine. I ran in on winged feet! I didn't make my best time, but who cares? I had a great time and made friends with someone. At the finish line we hugged and she thanked me for carrying her. I assured her it was a reciprocal relationship! If I can gab, the race goes by faster!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Oh, maybe not the tall glass of water. I know you're supposed to hydrate, but I had to go right at mile 1. If there hadn't been a porta potty I would have been a hurtin' unit!
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered through to pick up some schwag. Not a lot this time! I think they had more people than they anticipated. Found a mini breakfast cookie, water, and fruit leather and inhaled that. I was HUNGRY!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slight groin pull at mile 11, slowing with E, the interminable call of nature.

Event comments:

I love this race! It's so fun to bid adieu to Summer with a nice long run! I will definitely do it again next year.

Now I'm looking forward to the WINTER race season!

Last updated: 2005-09-05 12:00 AM
Running
02:17:19 | 13.1 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 78/94
Overall: 428/529
Performance: Good
Actually had a number of sub-ten minute miles, but had to stop and do the Porta Potty at mile one, and then E was feeling nauseous at mile 11 so we walked a little bit.
Course: The course meanders from Woodinville through Bothell, around the UW Bothell campus, and through Sammamish River Park. It's a combination of asphalt, street, and path. Beautiful route most of the way! Lots of great course support, too!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes