General Discussion Race Reports! » 3rd Annual Ellington Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

3rd Annual Ellington Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ellington, Connecticut
United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 52s
Overall Rank = 6/187
Age Group = M4049
Age Group Rank = 4/42
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 530am, made coffee and ate pb on roll. Packed up for short ride to the lake. Arrived, got chip, marked, then wandered and enjoyed the greatness of having an event in one's home town. Ate a few GU chomps and just talked to many people I knew.
Event warmup:

Swam out to the ropes a few times - water was very nice.
Swim
  • 04m 49s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I read an article about starting the swim in a sprint to get out front and figured I would try it. I did - good idea, breathing calmed down during the second half and I was fine. Unfortunately, being in 3rd wave (i.e. old man wave) I still had to pass a lot of people, but still a good strategy for this race.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - good swim
Transition 1
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

As with Sprint Tri on Weds, I went barefoot which paid off in T1. STill room for improvement - less efficient than I could have been. Happy with 3rd best T1 time though.

Just keep working at it
Bike
  • 34m 37s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I cranked on this. Biking is not my specialty, but I seem to do well with the sprints. Pushed on the flats and powered the hills.

Nothin.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

81st on T2 - unacceptable - I went from 5th to 6th bacause of this. Need to practice.

Need to rethink the whoel thing.
Run
  • 24m 44s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I can't complain about 11th, but I am sick of getting caught by the top guys during the run. I just am not fast enough to hold my spot. Need more speed work when prepping for the sprints.

SPEED
Post race
Warm down:

Went back in the water, grapped a Gatorade and a bagel then talked to everyone. Again, with a small home town event, it is just great to know people and be sociable.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Speed work. Had the endurance, didn't have the speed.

Event comments:

Happy with time - 3 minutes better than last year. THis year had a few better competitors, so my improvement did not result in a higher spot. Still, made my goal of top 10 and pleased with my race. Race organizer (Bill D) is a Saint and is a great person for organizing this, when I know he would rather be competing. All volunteers were fantastic. It's a nice home town event!!!

Last updated: 2011-03-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:49 | 440 yards | 01m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 13/187
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts and top
Course: Out and around the roped off beach swimming area. Basically a rectangle with a buoy place about half way creating a "point" to keep swimmers away from the viscous Millfoil weed epidemic.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:48
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:37 | 12 miles | 20.80 mile/hr
Overall: 7/187
Wind: None
Course: Generally a loop around the lake extending through other towns, but before the loop completes, a quick right onto Minor Hill Road with an 18% uphill the "defines" this race. Then a return to the start retracing the first 1/2 mile. Hilly back half, but fast overall.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:44 | 03.2 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 11/187
Course: Lap around the lake. Flat for about 1.5, then up a hill for a mile, then down the 18% grade that was an uphill in the bike, feeding to the finish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-17 7:25 PM

User image

Connecticut
Subject: 3rd Annual Ellington Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 3rd Annual Ellington Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed