Musselman Triathlon
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 37m 9s
Overall Rank = 510/808
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 43/63
Pre-race routine:

Jock strapped for Yvonne Saturday with MIL in tow. She did great and rocked the swim and bike (yvonne not the MIL) which turn out to be the theme of the weekend. Tried to drink as much as I could but don't think I got fully hydrated after spending the day in the sun and 90 degrees weather.
Packed and got to bed at 10 or so. Not bad. Up and 5:00am. What no friggin oatmeal the only time I eat it. Had couple slices of toast but never do well at eating in the morning of a race.

Ken picked me up at 5:30 got to line on 5&20 to wait 10 minutes to get in a parked, not bad really. Tried to give my parking pass away but no takers. Mike made fun of my disc covers and we got set. Some stupid person decide her area was behind her bike. If you need to bring three inhalers with you to a race maybe you need to find someone who could treat you effectively. And really isn't abuterol speed? If I had more time I would have had her moved but f-it. Not sure what she thought when I dropped my wetsuit on her bagel.

Stood in line with Ken and Mike and some cute thing from somewhere, Ken kept grossing her out with something about taking a dump in the middle of transition. Ken mentioned he had to figure out how to use his 410 to time the race, I mention I paid full price to have them time the whole thing for me. That brought on some comment about anatomy and being part of it. Met up with amschod and r-stocks. Made fun of the old fart wave being last oh wait that is my wave. Wished Mike and Ken luck more for Mike then Ken. Got in water and swam a little to get wet. Tried to line up dead center but full of yacking females.
Event warmup:

50 feet of swim to get suit wet.
Swim
  • 31m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water felt great. Like 72-75, bit of a chop though. Lots of chopped up seaweed around. Count down and off we go. Slice sideways through a few girls and open up a lead to get some room. Came together nicely. As we swam out further the higher the chop into 1 foot waves or a little more. Skipped the first buoy since it was left to the start line. Hit second one and the purple cap gang. They were took a little to thread though them. The next leg was cross chop lucky on my right side. Good thing I breathe left. Last turn in the lake and head in. The crowd is all over, take a spotting an look good going into the canal. No one was cutting the lines. I'm running into people here and there. Oh good a green cap Maybe I can catch ken even with a 15 minute lead. nope not today. I hug the line and swin as far up the launch as I can and stand. Start running. Come on peeps this a race. Pass a group of like 5-6 people. Some hoe didn't step on a rock off to the side.
What would you do differently?:

I should swim a little more and a little farther.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Pretty damn good for me. The only thing I need to remember is I can do it that fast. Much easier to get sleeveless suit off. I was kind and didn't mess up anyone wrong side transition area.

Move after I get every thing on.
Not spray sunscreen on my sunglasses, they don't need it and sucks trying to see.
Bike
  • 3h 04m 22s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Oh the heat was starting to develop. As R-stock pointed out I nearly took a big tumble trying to get on the bike. The left pedal was up and trying to go to fast to get it down then tried to stand up on cleats and was close to biting it. Thanks for seeing that Bob.
Up to speed well and out on to 5&20, you have to cross a carpeted lawn area the have is marginally a lawn. I have to say most of us were well behaved beside Frank. Frank likes to speed up and like a mad man standing and sprinting until down the road a ways and then slow down. Didn't matter the grade. The first 5-6 miles is an uphill grade nothing serious but there. Traffic was light so there was room to play on the road. I have a little extra weigh which is good on the downhills but bad on up hills. I'm trading spaces with a few peeps and get a smile now and then. Really I just liek cute butts passing me.

Hit the turn out of the ind and grade to just grade, really good news because shortly is a long downhill grade and a tail wind. Hi Ed and Doug. Thanks for throwing your bodies in front of traffic for us. Take my first gel and start on a Margaretta (shot blocks). Slowed to get water at the last aid station. Know I got to drink lots on the bike. On 414 they have filled in the cracks, nice. Had a about four girls I was trading places with. Its a sweet ride down to the Cayuga lake. Don't know how Jeff figured it out but he robbed the speed out of every downhill with a turn. Of course my max speed was 94.5 mph. Not.
So south to the great equalizer hill.
I commented to Y it was funny to call some by their first name since it was on the race number. As I cheered them in yesterday on the run they gave you a funny look like "I know you how?" Its the same look I gave Kelly when she said "Good job Dudley". up the hill I don't push it just trudge up. The last 4 miles of people pass me. I push on and drop onto what I feel is the most difficult part off the course. We skip Depot road and hit 96 second time I'm blocked. some yoyo is pouring water all over himself and hogging the coned off lane. He really was somewhat faster then me but I push hard to get by him for awhile. Kelly and I are trading off a bit and end up at the park at the same time. She remarks it is her favorite part. I told is a good thing my brother is a dentist because all my filling are falling out. About 2 miles down the road (loosely called a road) she comments the its not her teeth that hurt. Sorry no proctologist in the family but I hear ya.
Onto East Lake road. I miss the last chance for water and regret it. By Kelly have a good run. Much nicer to on 96 as not as crowded as usual. Turn and head to dismount, missed breaking 3 hours again, by a little bit.

Drink more~
Transition 2
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

Sorry had to change to shorts. Takes a little longer. thought it was i saw Ken leaving but without complicated math we will never know.

Find tri short I can run in.
I remembered to take glasses off that time.
Run
  • 2h 54m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Suck, suckie, sucked, suckest. Hot, hotie, hotted, hottest.
The first mile 8:57 OK glad you enjoyed that, you won't see the again. Second mile 9:30 and kept multiply from there.
I was trying a little run/walk mix slowly went to walk run to walk a bunch mix. Friggin hot is an under statement. First aid station water and ice.
Ed give me a good motivation talk at mile two. Then mile 3 and joke one of the run. At aid station #2 coke, water ice. I will never take coke again on the run of course decide this after trying it again. Can't stomach to settle much after that. Walk mile 4 or half of it. Make little goals mainly get to the next fire hydrant. There is some talking but I think everyone is to hot to bother. The only fun part of the run was giving Cindy Sue a big sweaty griddy hug and asking her to take me home she sent me on my way. Really a big mistake to stop for the 15 seconds as I didn't think I could ever get my legs going again. At eth end of the tunnel you can see the finish line across the lake two miles away.. I asked the volunteer if I could swim it but she said no. I sure it would have been faster and more comfortable. Dragged my weary ass home walking more then running. I manage to run last half mile and jumped into the kiddie pool.

Dehydration, heat, under training, heat, weight, heat.
Post race
Warm down:

I needed a freeze down. Oh boy they gave me a bottle of warm water. Sure ice was hard to come by and keep in this heat. Felt good in cool water didn't even bother to take my sneakers off. Ken was walked over and I congratulated him. He did a great job.
Only problem with this race this year was lack of portable water at the end. The had this weird drinking fountain, that soaked you as you drank. Lots of us need to walk around to cool down and standing in one spot doesn't work.
We looked for Mike, I got my pulled pork dinner and Ken kept asking me if I wanted to sit and eat. Not really as I think I would be tasting twice. Decided to leave after talking to a few peeps. Found out Mike had left. Told everyone who asked "How I was?" that I felt like $h!t and was going to for a while. Didn't dare sit unless it was on the way home.
Stopped for water on way home. Of course Ken had to park on the downhill side and make me walk up hill even if it was only 20 feet.
Showered at home laid on the floor for a couple hours and sometime Monday evening Tuesday morning I recovered and finally peed in 24 hours.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, weight, heat, being chased by Mike and Ken. Lots to say about fear.

Event comments:

Congrates Ken you rocked that course in this heat. I gotta say if this what you felt like that last two years I won't do for a third time. Kudos.

Why there were not more walking dead is beyond me. I thank the volunteers as they not only handed out water, HEED, coke and ice they took a reading on everyone going by to ensure they were doing OK. Made you feel your personal coaching staff. The neighborhood folks sprayed you if needed and cheered you on well. Thanks Geneva.

Mike good job on the aquabike. Anthony good job getting it down You looked much then I did that is for sure.

The question is do I get to have steak as I watch Ken eat steak?

Last updated: 2010-11-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:30 | 2112 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/63
Overall: 67/808
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless eMotion
Course: Out into the lake and return through canal to boat launch
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:11
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:04:22 | 56 miles | 18.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/63
Overall: 351/808
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:54:36 | 13.1 miles | 13m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 53/63
Overall: 683/808
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-19 8:31 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2011-07-19 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3605018

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

Tough day in that heat!  Good job maintaining.

Yes, have a steak with Ken and toss back a few cold ones with it.

2011-07-20 6:03 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-07-20 6:27 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY
The steak dinner bet helped push me in training to finally have a good race at Musselman!  Whether I was on the giving or receiving end of our bet, that was the real goal!  Thanks for pushing me to get there! 

The run was brutal with the heat and not a lot of air moving around, running scared helped me keep going!

Great race on a very tough day!  Recover well!
2011-07-20 10:06 AM

Veteran
Sunny Binghamton
great job dud thanks for the entertaining race report!
2011-07-20 11:20 AM

Yeah - right back at ya - great job Dexter! Sounds like your day was very like mine. You're right, just finishing was huge in that heat. With 972 registered and only 807 finishers, it looks like there was a lot of fallout.

2011-07-22 1:56 PM

Expert

Great race with an outstanding swim (like you always have) great bike, and well done surviving that run. I prefer to call our wave the "best wave", not the "old farts wave" since everyone knows they save the best for last.

It was great to see you and the guys, and maybe we'll race it together again next year. Hopefully on a cold rainy day.

2011-07-23 12:06 AM

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Great race and that run did suck. I am not a fan of running but that was way beyond brutal. It was a great day and an awesome accomplishment to finish. Will have to look for you next year.
2011-07-25 9:33 AM

Master
Rochester, NY
Tough race in that heat.  Glad you made it through ok! 
2011-07-25 9:48 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Whoa - nice swim!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed