General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Developing Neck/Back Stiffness on Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-22 5:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: Developing Neck/Back Stiffness on Bike

A few weeks ago I purchased my first tri bike, a new Felt B12.  I had a basic Fit to the bike and it rides fairly comfortable.  (Actually it rides pretty awesome!)

However, any ride over 5 or 10km I start to develop muscle stiffness in the back of the neck, and also the lower trapezius, just adjacent the spine. (Say the mid thoracic area.)  So the mid/upper back muscles directly adjacent the spine.  Basically I'm straining my neck always looking forward/up while on the road, and it feels as though my back is perpetually arc'd while riding. 

I actually want to drop the headset/bars soon to get lower and "under" the wind more, but concerned this may actually aggrevate the problem more as I will be even lower.  This has to be a common problem with a common solution?  Besides doing some stretches and maybe warming up a bit before hopping on the bike what else can I do?  Is it possible I don't fit this bike, or bad posture/form?  Riding +20km I start to feel like an "old man" when I get off with some fatigue in the neck and back.  I notice it more the next morning waking up.  It disappears by the following day, but still not a welcome condition.  Or perhaps this is part of "geting to know my new bike?" and will simply disappear as my muscles get familiar to the new ride/positions?

Help welcome! Thanks.

2011-07-22 6:44 AM
in reply to: #3609470

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Developing Neck/Back Stiffness on Bike
My tri bike has me in a more aggressive position than my road bike with clip-ons, so I tend to get more tight/sore in the shoulder and neck area. The solution for me, was to just spend more time on the tri bike instead of training the road bike and racing the tri.
2011-07-22 6:57 AM
in reply to: #3609512

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
I've put in about 1500M on my P3 and still have neck stiffness (my back has been fine).  I've been refitted and tweaked my positioning but the neck stiffness persists.  I have been doing PT for several weeks now and have had some relief. My therapist also noticed that I have shoulder/upper back issues and has given me a strengthening/stretching regime.  I am also considering rimless sunglasses so that I do not have to move head to look up while in aero.  My neck might also be better if I was a better bilateral breather in the pool. Lastly, if you work at desk, look at your ergo positioning and consider making changes so that you spend most of your time looking forward instead of down or up.  An aero position on a tri bike is far from natural and it takes time to get accustom to it.
2011-07-22 8:49 AM

User image

I'm a cycling novice and i ride a road bike so my advice may be useless. But I had pain after starting cycling and I went to the bike shop for a refit. They took one look at what I was doing and were able to show me what I was doing that was causing the pain. My grip happened to be totally wrong. They didn't charge me anything. So, you might try that - going back to the bike shop and see if they notice anything.
2011-07-22 9:00 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
I had/have the same issue with my neck muscles.  For me it was just a time in the saddle thing.  If i'm riding a lot it doesn't hurt as much whereas if I take a week off then it's pretty painful.
2011-07-22 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3609512

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio

monkeyboy64 - 2011-07-22 7:44 AM  The solution for me, was to just spend more time on the tri bike instead of training the road bike and racing the tri.

X2...i got my tri bike in Nov so i could ride it on the trainer and get comfortable over the winter. Once i got out on the actual road, i started getting a stiff neck after 40 minutes because i just wasn't used to looking forward at the road. that has since substantially subsided for me.

just takes some time and your body getting used to it. and also do core/back exercises as someone else posted. give your body every advantage to keep you healthy and comfortable.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Developing Neck/Back Stiffness on Bike Rss Feed