General Discussion Race Reports! » Siesta Beach Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Siesta Beach Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sarasota, Florida
United States
Multirace.com
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 27m 14s
Overall Rank = 27/185
Age Group = Relay - Coed
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Picked up Craig, our swimmer, at 5:30 then drove to race site. Then met up with Rae Ann, our runner, then went as a group to packet pick-up. Went to transition together to see where our rack was. No separate relay rack, we were just in where ever our number put us, fortunately we got an end spot on a rack near the run exit. Once we knew where to make the chip exchange we went down to the beach to watch the start. After that Rae Ann and I split up so we could go through our normal warm-up routine.
Event warmup:

Craig went for a swim prior to the start. Rae Ann went through her normal routine, not sure how far she ran but I would be willing to bet it was almost as far as the race. I did a few static stretches and not much else, major mistake, feeling it in the hamstrings already. Next time I do a rely I will bring my other bike to ride for a warm-up.
Swim
  • 28m 16s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Glad we decided that the person coming in from the swim would just put their foot with the chip on it in front of their body and the person going out on the bike would take it off to make the exchange. Saw several other relays struggle with their chip exchange.

This was also the first time since my very first tri that I had my bike shoes on my feet in transition and then had to run in them to the mount line. Still managed a good flying mount without crashing.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. We had the 19th fastest overall T1 (which included the almost 1/4 mile run from the water).
Bike
  • 1h 09m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Got up to speed and felt good, passed quite a few riders in the first mile then got into a steady rhythm and stayed with the same couple of riders. Tried to make sure that I was leaving enough room not to get called for drafting but, had a 2 minute penalty for something. Web site only listed the penalty time, not what the penalty was for. I really felt like it was hard not to be too close since we were all doing the same speed, very frustrating. Anyways, it was nice to be able to go all out on the bike and see how fast I could push it. With how bad my legs were shaking when I got off the bike there is no way I could have run.

WARM UP!!! NOT DRAFT!!!
Transition 2
  • 00m 21s
Comments:

Another great chip exchange, 2nd fastest overall T2.

Nothing.
Run
  • 44m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Rae Ann is amazing! Fastest woman on the 10k! She made up for my 2 minute penalty.

Nothing, again.
Post race
Warm down:

Craig and I found some shade then went to cheer on Rae Ann at the turn around and the finish. She ran another mile after the race. (She's a real runner, not a triathlete)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, we had a great race and will definitely consider doing relays in the future.

Event comments:

Several things disappointed me about this race:
1. No packets, we were just given our numbers and swim cap, no course maps, no wave start times, nothing.
2. T-shirts, when we checked in we were given the choice of large or extra large shirts, well our relay had requested a small, a medium and an XXL when we registered so no one in our relay got a shirt that fit.
3. No security at transition, while waiting for our swimmer, I saw several people just walk right through the transition area.
4. No designated relay rack, I had to stand next to my bike while waiting for our swimmer and really had to try to stay out of the way of other racers. This was also an issue when I returned on the bike because I was not in a hurry to leave on the run and again had to make sure to stay out of the way.
5. Not enough awards, our relay, which was the fastest of all the relays were the absolute last category called, when we got up there, they only had two 1st place awards left, so one of the three of us didn't get an award.

For the price a relay has to pay, I think it is only fair to expect the same race day experience as individual racers. And, for the amount of money we spent on our bikes, I think we expect that RD's will provide some level of security in the transition area.

Last updated: 2011-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:16 | 1500 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 39/185
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out and back, parallel to shore. Only used 6 bouys so it was very spread out. Due to the single line of bouys, there were swimmers going in opposite directions near every bouy. At one point, the sprint distance swimmers also entered the same course creating some rough swimming in the middle of the OLY swim.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 90F / 32C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:15
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:29 | 24.85 miles | 21.46 mile/hr
Overall: 46/185
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: 2 loops of the normal Siesta Key loop. South out of T1 for 4 miles, u-turn, north for 6 miles then over the canal bridge, then the hard left, right, left 90 degree turns before heading south for 1.5 miles back to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:53 | 06.21 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Overall: 15/185
Course: Two 3.1 mile out and back loops on the beach. This is why I won't do this race by myself. That far on the sand would kill me.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2011-07-24 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: Siesta Beach Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Siesta Beach Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed