NCN Racing
96F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 27s
Overall Rank = 91/292
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/18
Pre-race routine:

I was really fatigued when I woke up on Sunday morning. We had had a party for my son the night before, and I ate some greasy pasta. My stomach bothered me the second my feet hit the floor. I was in the bathroom at least 8 times before I left the house. I ate a PB&J with honey and 1/2 banana, and I had a cup of coffee (probably not the best idea). I stretched, dressed, and made the 45 minute drive to the race site.
Event warmup:

Stretches and short water warmup.
Swim
  • 08m 42s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

The course was easy, and I felt great in my wetsuit. I started near the front of the pack, and I stayed there for most of the water race. My plan was to go out at a moderate pace and then pick it up once I felt calm in the wetsuit (remember the panic from Wendy's Tri). The problem is that I never really picked it up much, so I ended up coasting through. I can do better than this!

What would you do differently?:

Go harder! Now that I'm more comfortable in the wetsuit, I need to pick up the speed and not worry about hyperventilating.
Transition 1
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

This transition included a long run up from the beach. I saw some people changing their shoes at the foot of the first hill, which happened to be extremely steep, and I thought that was a little silly. The run was long for a transition!!! I was a little clumsy pulling off the wetsuit, but my time was in line with what others were doing.

Practice taking off wetsuit quickly.
Bike
  • 38m 5s
  • 12.2 miles
  • 19.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I really need to work on cornering at high speeds. I almost crashed once (I'm so embarrassed!!!!). My strategy is always to go as hard as I can on the bike. I mean, it's only 12 miles. Perhaps I ought to hold back a little so I don't fall apart on the run (which is exactly what happened).

Go easy up the hills. I just need more time on the bike. I think I have potential in this area of triathlon, but it's just going to take time and lots of miles on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

My legs felt fried. I felt hot and dehydrated. The humidity was really starting to get to me.
Run
  • 27m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

9th! 9th on the run. That sucks!! I really dropped the ball, and that's disappointing. Honestly, I felt like crap when I started the run. I was panting, and all the tricks I use to calm myself down just wouldn't work. I wanted to stop the last mile, but I made a pattern of noises with my feet and breathing pattern that distracted me until I finished the race. Left - Right - Left - Breathe. I saw 2 women in my age group pass me in the last .5 mile.

I don't know. Wear the hat. HTFU. I guess I just need to run more. I put the miles in. I guess I just have to continue doing that.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, hydration, mental preparedness

Event comments:

I wish the transition area would have been better organized. Anyone who wanted to walk in just walked in. I don't like that!

Last updated: 2011-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:42 | 440 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 0/292
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Volt
Course: Rectangle around 2 breakwalls. I think it was longer than 440 yds.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:05 | 12.2 miles | 19.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/18
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: 1st half of the course had lots of rollers, and the wind was really strong here. I held it together, but I certainly wasn't speedy. The last 5 miles were nice because the wind was at my back. I picked up some speed here. My quads felt extremely sore getting off the bike.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:01 | 03.11 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/18
Performance: Bad
Course: The course was relatively flat, but there wasn't any shade at all. I'd forgotten my hat at home, and I really could have used it. The course ended with one massive hill. I thought I might die climbing up it. In fact, I'm pretty sure I looked like a little old lady with my back all hunched over, shuffling on up.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes