General Discussion Triathlon Talk » That's why I'm a cyclist and you're a bike rider Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-07-27 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3617743

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: RE: That's why I'm a cyclist and you're a bike rider
gearboy - 2011-07-27 2:50 PM

ubersteiny - 2011-07-27 3:45 PM
Aspiring - 2011-07-27 12:36 PM

I nod or wave to other people on tri bikes and rarely (closer to never) get a response. Almost everyone in a Jeep or on a motorcycle waves back!

Honestly, I hate when people do that. Just because we both ride bikes doesn't mean we're friends. Especially when I'm in the zone going 35km/hr.

If we're both on a group ride leisurely going sure I'm all about being friendly and all of that.

At least with motorcyclists, the point of waving is to acknowledge that we are both "invisible" out there to the cagers. If you saw someone on the side of the road with their bike down, wouldn't you at least shout out "OK there?" and offer some assistance if they were not? (outside racing conditions, that is).

Cycle snobs are what part of what gives cyclists a bad name. And that puts all of us at greater risk of being seen as (someone else here put it) "spandex speedbumps".

If someone is on the side of the road I stop, I was reffering to the people going the opposite way as me. If I'm out with my team wearing my team colours and other teams say Hi I'll respond back but it's because we actually know them and have trained/talked with them at races.

I don't think it's rude of me. It's not like I'm flipping anyone the bird or yelling at them.

2011-07-27 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3617330

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

Just fantasize that one day this 'cyclist' rides his bike off a pier into a lake and as he is desperately doggy-paddling his way back to shore you swim by and say, "That's why I'm a triathlete and you're practically drowning."Laughing 

I'm not wishing him any ill will, but my friend Karma - she's not as forgiving.

2011-07-27 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3617504

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-07-27 7:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I was doing a recovery lap after a mountain bike race.  I moved over to let the beginners pass (expert go off first so we were done).  One made a smart remark how I was already on the side and not racing.  I thought that was funny since I had just taken second in the expert class.  Beginners = 1 lap.  Experts = 5 laps.  All five of my lap times were faster than the winner of the beginner class.(as it should be). 

Point:  things are not always what they seem.  Maybe you were doing big gear climbs, or high cadence climbs.  There was no reason for that guy to make the remark to you. 

2011-07-27 9:57 PM

Veteran
Peachtree city, GA
why didnt u bust his ? someone said that to me.... whewww son
2011-07-27 10:01 PM
in reply to: #3617376

tuwood - 2011-07-27 1:22 PM

When somebody is blatantly arrogant like this to me I generally respond with something along the lines of:

"I'm glad I could help improve your low self esteem"

That's classic:-)

I like hills.  I'm not a good climber, but I like the challenge.  

2011-07-27 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3617660

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH
CKTX - 2011-07-27 5:15 PM
ubersteiny - 2011-07-27 2:45 PM 

Honestly, I hate when people do that. Just because we both ride bikes doesn't mean we're friends. Especially when I'm in the zone going 35km/hr.

They're in your AG and trying to sabotage your training.

Just because I say "hi" doesn't mean I think you're my friend. It means I'm being friendly. Try not to let it ruin your day.

Seriously...  If I'm in aero, I usually just give a casual head nod, or lift one hand enough off of the aerobars to acknowledge the other person's presence.  I don't sit up and wave my arms around and go "HEY BUDDY."  The same way I acknowledge a stranger on the sidewalk or in an elevator if we happen to make eye contact.  I ride in the country around here, and occasionally pass another cyclist, always give a short wave or a head nod, and always get one in return.  I've started to recognize some of them on a regular basis.

2011-07-27 11:03 PM
in reply to: #3617423

Master
Central Kansas

Aspiring - 2011-07-27 2:36 PM I nod or wave to other people on tri bikes and rarely (closer to never) get a response. Almost everyone in a Jeep or on a motorcycle or a farm vehicle (tractor, combine, thresher, etc) waves back!

I ride rural Kansas roads, so I added the vehicles I routinely see. I see more farmers than actual drivers.

2011-07-27 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3617660

Master
Central Kansas
CKTX - 2011-07-27 4:15 PM

Y'all need to learn the "farmer's wave." You don't move your hands from their position, whatever they are in -- steering wheel, handle bars, aero bars -- and very casually, with a slight bob of your head, lift one index finger off the wheel/bar. Does the trick.

Word of caution: For the first week after I moved to Kansas, I thought most drivers were flipping me off. (Yes, we give this wave as we pass in cars and trucks. Maybe it comes from the surprise of actually passing another vehicle on the road.)

2011-07-28 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3617634

Elite
Spring, TX
NiceTriCoaching - 2011-07-27 4:07 PM

Just because someone can climb hills quickly doesn't make them a nice guy!

WHAT!?!?!?  So all that hill work I've been doing to improve my personality has been wasted? 

2011-07-28 9:08 AM

Expert
Austin, TX

I love hills, but I am confused about something.

I thought the definition of cyclist was bike rider.  Am I missing something?

As for the friendly wave discussed several times in this thread, I started riding in the '80s when every cyclist waved to each other.  But we were much fewer back then.

Funny anecdote: a couple years ago I was riding with a pretty hardcore group of roadies.

Along the way we picked up a guy in cutoffs riding a cruiser bike.  He schooled most of us up a big hill.  I never found out his story but it was an awesome thing to behold.

2011-07-28 9:58 AM

New user

Ahh. I hate bike snobs. They're just trying to make up for their low self esteem with expensive bikes and by putting other people down. 

The annual Becel Ride for Heart in Toronto has a loser who spends his entire 75km ride putting people down.  You have to be pretty broken to ride around giving people crap during a charity bike ride.

I'm not a good climber but I do like climbs...

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be a uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb

2011-07-28 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3617647

Champion
the colony texas
Fred Doucette - 2011-07-27 4:11 PM

Love these threads where it has like 1,000 people pilling on saying the guy was a d-ck. Yeah he probably was, but not sure what the purpose of the pilling on is especially since only the OP was there etc.

BTW if you don't like hills then something is wrong with you.... something terribly serious.

agree... then again I always feel like starting a humorous thread from the other guys point of view. But I'm sure it would get pulled.

2011-07-28 11:06 AM

You should have caught up to him to hand him a jar of grey poupon out the window of your limo. Pompous a**wipe.   The guy obviously has deep seated feelings of inadequacy and insecurity.  People who have their s**t together don't behave like this.  Don't give it a second thought except to either laugh at him or feel sorry for him. I prefer to laugh at him myself but I am kind of cold hearted.

2011-07-28 11:32 AM

Chicago

The whole "cyclist snob" thing is something that I still grapple with to this day.

I was never a rider myself until 4 years ago when I bought a bike for the specific purpose of triathlon.  To that point, I'll be honest, I did not appreciate the bikers I'd see out on the roads - I definitely bought into the bike snob stereotype.  The stupid colorful jerseys and tight pants and $5,000 bikes, and the way they selectively follow road rules that are to their benefit but ignore ones they don't really like - it was all just real lame in my book.

I'm coming around now that I'm "one of them" (not a snob, a cyclist).  I even ride with a group of cyclists that wear all the gear (all very good people) and have become what I once despised.  Although, I still don't own a true cycling jersey (I wear tri tops or under armor stuff) - that's how deeply seeded that bike snob stereotype was in me.

It's just sad to hear that it is actually, apparently a real thing, and there are some d-bags out there living it out.

What I do in these situations...kill them with kindness.  I'd have hit him with a cheerful but obviously sarcastic "nice to meet you too, have a good ride!"  That kind of thing tells him he's obviously being a dick, and just festers in him.

2011-07-28 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3618671

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
Gaarryy - 2011-07-28 8:12 AM
Fred Doucette - 2011-07-27 4:11 PM

Love these threads where it has like 1,000 people pilling on saying the guy was a d-ck. Yeah he probably was, but not sure what the purpose of the pilling on is especially since only the OP was there etc.

BTW if you don't like hills then something is wrong with you.... something terribly serious.

agree... then again I always feel like starting a humorous thread from the other guys point of view. But I'm sure it would get pulled.

Kind of like the threads that come up here about aqua joggers in the swimming pool.

2011-07-28 2:03 PM

New user

Thanks all. I dont know if he was trying to be funny or what. Anyway, what I did was caught my breath while i watched him leave and then killed the rest of that hill. I still hate hills but maybe one day I'll be as nutty as all you folks and start to love 'em.
2011-07-28 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3618877

Veteran
duder5189 - 2011-07-28 11:32 AM

The whole "cyclist snob" thing is something that I still grapple with to this day.

It's a pretty easy concept to grasp, imho.

What do cyclists and drivers share in common?  The inability to make eye contact because of sunglasses and/or a windshield between the two parties.

No one ever really stereotypes pedestrians as snobby or rude because, for instance, if you bump into somebody accidentally, you make eye contact and acknowledge the wrong and all is good.  It's difficult to do that with a fellow cyclist or driver.

2011-07-28 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3620002

Elite
charmander - 2011-07-28 8:58 PM

What do cyclists and drivers share in common?  The inability to make eye contact because of sunglasses and/or a windshield between the two parties.

No one ever really stereotypes pedestrians as snobby or rude because, for instance, if you bump into somebody accidentally, you make eye contact and acknowledge the wrong and all is good.  It's difficult to do that with a fellow cyclist or driver.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, but it is pretty clear where I'm from. Coming from MTB... there is definitely a different vibe with that crowd. Roadies are a different story... not all roadies, not all cyclists, but there are definitely a number of arrogant pricks in the roadie ranks. Some may think there are few, some may think they are many, but they are definitely there. Not too hard to mistake them when you come across one. Just like the stereotypical BMW snob in the motor enthusiast ranks. Stereotypes generally are founded in truth, just not applicable to all.

Funny though... as was said earlier... most times they look down on you so much that they rarely waste a comment. Surprised this one came down from his pedestal long enough to mutter a remark.

2011-07-29 12:18 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-07-29 12:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
I always resiste the urge to post in these threads, but not this time.  I have to say...I've met quite triathletes and cyclists out there riding. Generally, the triathletes are friends...usually. It's rare when one is not. Cyclists, in my experience, are the opposite. I've met a few great people but it seems the majority are pricks. 

Edited by syscrash 2011-07-29 12:36 PM

2011-07-29 1:11 PM

Veteran
Monadnock

I wave at just about everyone and everything. I wave at other cyclists, road bike racers, noodlers, runners, joggers, walkers, speed-walkers, gardeners, workmen, cows, dogs(the nice ones) cars (especially when I see they waited for me to pass at an intersection). I do the same thing running and give especially grateful waves to the drivers who actually give a wide berth when they can safely do so. Sometimes they wave back. Sometimes they don't. I think, "Oh well, they didn't see me", and if they did see me and didn't want to acknowledge a friendly gesture, I figure, "Whew, thank God I don't have their life."

On my only tri thus far I said, "Hi" or offered praise or encouragement to everyone I passed or was passed by. Everyone I passed on the bike got a word of encouragement to let them know, we'll be meeting again soon, when they blow by me on the run. I tried to verbally thank every volunteer on the course. I'm really pretty much of an introvert and train 100% by myself, so it's kind of nice when I encounter someone else. 

Actually there was one volunteer at the tri that I did not thank. So, to the young lady at the hydration point on the Sprint turnaround at the MA State tri, thank you...I would have thanked you at the time, but I was a bit preoccupied by choking on the water. An apology is probably in order, too, 'cause I think most of it went on you.

2011-07-29 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3617388

Veteran

Edited by jimmy3993 2011-07-29 1:24 PM
2011-07-29 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3620002

Runner
charmander - 2011-07-28 10:58 PM

Actually, the great majority of pedestrians I've encountered are some of the rudest people. They do not look at anyone, more often than not they do not acknowledge if they bump into someone, and if there is acknowledgement, it tends to be while looking at the floor and a mumbling of words. I've even had incidents where they will quite literally force people off the sidewalk because they refuse to yield or step to the side even slightly (this is while in groups).

So yes, there are people who are rude and impolite, sports is not exactly a determinant of interpersonal behavior.

As to the waving thing, I almost never do it. Sometimes I nod, but more often than not the other person isn't even looking at me. But trust me, whether or not I acknowledge your presence, I am fully aware of you.
2011-07-29 2:11 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
saas74 - 2011-07-27 2:09 PM

Yep. Had someone tell me that this weekend when I had to stop and recover a bit on this killer hill. He passed and said hills were the best part and when I said not for me...he gave me that line. I was moved to the sidewalk so I wouldn't be in anyone's way so this wasn't me interfering with his ride. This was someone being nasty. I hope the folks in my first tri in September are more encouraging than him.

WOW. What an a-hole!

Everyone started SLOW. I bet he didn't hop on the bike powering up hills. That guy needs to get over himself.

Sorry he was so rude. Keep riding.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » That's why I'm a cyclist and you're a bike rider Rss Feed  

of 4